Author Topic: The snake oil thread  (Read 6056 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The snake oil thread
« on: 23 May, 2023, 08:46:58 am »
A thread for products that trumpet outlandish benefits, regardless of price.  Bonus points for pseudo-scientific claims and technical mumbo jumbo that means absolutely nothing.

I'll start with this eBay shower filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115666133437?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3V-ZQ2YMRdG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=NtG1_XQcQXK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's made from "excellent ABS" and has a fabulous list of ingredients: "‎KDF55, Vitamim (sic) C, Alkaline Balls, Calcium Sulfite, Active Carbon, PP Cotton, Mineralized Balls, Magnetic Energy Balls".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: The snake oil thread
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:50:37 am »

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:51:34 am »
Brexit?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:55:45 am »
The Metaphysical and New Age category of eBay is a pretty good starting place, btw.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2023, 09:31:16 am »
What are the delivery charges on metaphysic?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2023, 09:44:52 am »
It's made from "excellent ABS" and has a fabulous list of ingredients: "‎KDF55, Vitamim (sic) C, Alkaline Balls, Calcium Sulfite, Active Carbon, PP Cotton, Mineralized Balls, Magnetic Energy Balls".
You're not suggesting it's a load of balls?

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2023, 01:34:34 pm »
EMF jewellery anyone?

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2023, 01:45:47 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2023, 02:06:53 pm »
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2023, 02:47:25 pm »
You’d think they’d have a tin foil lined beanie at least.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2023, 09:28:57 pm »
A thread for products that trumpet outlandish benefits, regardless of price.  Bonus points for pseudo-scientific claims and technical mumbo jumbo that means absolutely nothing.

I'll start with this eBay shower filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115666133437?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3V-ZQ2YMRdG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=NtG1_XQcQXK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Loving the idea that hard water makes your shower "harsh" and by implication soft water will feel more gentle!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2023, 08:06:11 am »
I’ve just had a YouTube advert for “NexFan” which is a perpetual motion home cooling device, that needs no electricity (despite lots of pictures of an electric fan) and cools a home from 40C to 24C in 5 minutes.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2023, 11:32:51 am »
I was going to post about solar pavements here, but the examples given so far make solar pavements seem logical and sensible.  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2023, 11:50:28 am »
Came across spiral water for sale in a health food shop in Exeter once.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2023, 12:18:41 pm »
In the energy management world, educator Vilnis Vesma frequently calls out bogus energy saving equipment, for example
https://www.enmanreg.org/open-the-box/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2023, 12:21:26 pm »
Came across spiral water for sale in a health food shop in Exeter once.

Sam
Very important to get the correct chirality so as to strengthen your DNA. And remember that this reverses when you cross the equator.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:11:40 pm »
Chap I knew used to have a special magnetic cap for mineral-water bottles "to align the molecules" and help it do important stuff better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2023, 05:27:09 pm »
Almost every device that claims to allow cars with CANbus to work with LED trailer lights.*

For example:- https://www.linearelectronicdesign.com/resources/LED-Pamphlet.pdf
European 4WD’s have an in-built diagnostic system that will cause the trailer LEDs to flash/pulse continuously and the vehicles will not recognise a trailer is connected.
A few European-made vehicles had that sort of thing at one time, but it is is far from universal

The adaptor just loads the car with a high power resistor in parallel with some lamps, resulting in surface temperatures up to about 120 °C. It also delays turn-on of the actual light slightly.

The actual trailer indicators are no longer detected with that adaptor in place. The blinkenlight on the dashboard will illuminate to show that the trailer indicators are working, whether or not they are.

*All cars have had CANbuses since about 2000. That has very little to do with electronics in cars that try to detect lamp filaments electronically, other than electronics make both possible.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

sam

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2023, 02:38:04 pm »
What the hell, I'm going to say computers. As if I'd ever go back.

I honestly could live without a smartphone though, provided we all gave them up at the same time.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2023, 02:41:49 pm »
Who remembers how Tomorrows World always went into raptures about the extra leisure time we’d all have every time they reviewed a computing breakthrough?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2023, 03:30:19 pm »
Who remembers how Tomorrows World always went into raptures about the extra leisure time we’d all have every time they reviewed a computing breakthrough?

. . .  and the total lack of paper in the business environment (and newspapers for that matter) - all still very much with us.

« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2023, 05:16:18 pm »

. . .  and the total lack of paper in the business environment (and newspapers for that matter) - all still very much with us.

The future sure isn't what it used to be. ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2023, 05:55:17 pm »
Bloody Tomorrow's World.
Where's my jet pack?
Where's my Bacofoil suit?
Raymond Baxter was a bloody liar.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2023, 07:47:30 pm »
Your jet pack has wheels and is called an e-scooter, while your Bacofoil suit has been updated to clingfilm.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2023, 08:07:31 pm »
Your jet pack has wheels and is called an e-scooter, while your Bacofoil suit has been updated to clingfilm.

But New! Futuristic! PVC-free! clingfilm that doesn't cling.