Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2454236 times)

LindaG

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2325 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:40:21 pm »
My tourer/commuter, here just about to go camping.

My new shopper, used for shopping, pottering, local trips - my second car.

My summer bike, just for playing. 

« Reply #2326 on: 20 November, 2009, 05:38:19 am »
Which one is your favourite?

« Reply #2327 on: 22 November, 2009, 11:50:38 am »
The 'Best' bike. Garibaldi because it's red and Italian.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0163.jpg[/img]

The Audax bike. Marco Polo because it's Italian and travels in the far east. If I still lived in wet and windy Wales, I'd opt for something more practical but the climate out here is somewhat kinder.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0164.jpg[/img]

The Touring bike. Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (hence my forum name) because the manufacturer named the model Emperor. I recently had it re-painted. Here it is in day-riding clothes.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0156.jpg[/img]

And again, dressed for a long weekend camping trip.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0074.jpg[/img]

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2328 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »
The Touring bike. Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (hence my forum name) because the manufacturer named the model Emperor. I recently had it re-painted...

[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0074.jpg[/img]

I adore this bike. Can you type the manufacturer's name, please? I can't quite make it out.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2329 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:35:21 pm »
I adore this bike. Can you type the manufacturer's name, please? I can't quite make it out.
It says Stupor Mundi, which I suspect is not the manufacturers name, but was added as part of the repainting.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2330 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »
The Audax bike. Marco Polo because it's Italian and travels in the far east. If I still lived in wet and windy Wales, I'd opt for something more practical but the climate out here is somewhat kinder.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0164.jpg[/img]

The Touring bike. Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (hence my forum name) because the manufacturer named the model Emperor. I recently had it re-painted. Here it is in day-riding clothes.
[img height=480 width=640]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/simonjp68/Bikes/IMG_0156.jpg[/img]
Those pictures make me feel nostalgia for Japan. I haven't been there since January. :(
But in my experience, Japan has plenty of wet & windy weather.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2331 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:38:31 pm »
It says Stupor Mundi, which I suspect is not the manufacturers name, but was added as part of the repainting.

Stupor Mundi is a name used by contemporaries of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (it means "wonder of the world").

See his Wikipedia entry for more information.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2332 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »
Garibaldi :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2333 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »
The Touring bike. Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (hence my forum name) because the manufacturer named the model Emperor. I recently had it re-painted...

Okay, if Stupor Mundi is an alias, who made the bike?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2334 on: 23 November, 2009, 01:59:13 am »
Paul, thanks for the compliment. Bledlow is right, Stupor Mundi is part of the re-painting. The manufacturer is a Japanese company called Maruishi. Sadly, my LBS tells me that the bike is no longer in production, although, this site still seems to have them. There are still a couple of places that make lovely looking, traditional touring bicycles in Japan. Toei is famous and another is Grand Bois.

TimO knows his history. I didn't think anyone would get it. I am impressed.

Chris N

« Reply #2335 on: 23 November, 2009, 09:01:29 am »

That Ostrich randonneur/front bag is lovely.  Much nicer than the Berthoud ones and cheaper too, I think.  I wish someone imported them into the UK.

« Reply #2336 on: 23 November, 2009, 09:23:34 am »
That's a nice looking bike F2H :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2337 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:54:49 am »

Stupor Mundi is a name used by contemporaries of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (it means "wonder of the world").
Exactly.  ;D That's why I assumed it was part of the repainting.

« Reply #2338 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:58:14 am »
Toei is famous and another is Grand Bois.
Look lovely.

The Type M, I think, but with hub gears.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2339 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:09:10 am »
Garibaldi :thumbsup:

Trotts off to biscuit barrel.  Bugger, empty.

LindaG

« Reply #2340 on: 23 November, 2009, 08:10:56 pm »
Which one is your favourite?
The blue tourer, because I've had the best times of my life in its company  :)

« Reply #2341 on: 26 November, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »
Taken in September, my ridgeback on a sunny day...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2342 on: 27 November, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »

K-Edge Chain Catcher Only £26.99

Am I right in thinking this gadget will stop your chain from flying off when performing a particularly vicious down shift onto one's granny ring?

If that is the case I need one cos on Wednesday night said incident occurred and I was in leg spinning mode whilst trying to chase Hummers and Postie up a hill.  I nearly fell off which could have been embarrassing.

Next question.  Is there any reason why it wouldn't work on my road bike's triple (50/40/30)?

« Reply #2343 on: 27 November, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »
You can get much cheaper ones - dog fangs I think they are called.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2344 on: 27 November, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
Yep - Deda Dog Fang I've fitted one on my Airborne Zeppelin*.  :thumbsup:
It will do the job fine as long as you have a straight (constant diameter) seat tube, but you might need to go for the K Edge if you have a carbon frame where the seat tube flares out towards the BB.
It won't matter about chainrings, just position it alongside the smallest one. *Mine is a 50/40/30 chainset too.
HTH
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2345 on: 27 November, 2009, 07:29:02 pm »
My front mech is a braze on. Would the Dog Fang work?

« Reply #2346 on: 27 November, 2009, 07:35:26 pm »
I have a Dog Fang on the Yukon. The DF is mounted quite low on the seatpost (very roughly level with the teeth on the smallest ring). I think that should be low enough to fit well below a braze on.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2347 on: 27 November, 2009, 07:39:48 pm »
Cool, I think we might need one for each of my machines.

« Reply #2348 on: 27 November, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
I don't think mine has ever come into play.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2349 on: 28 November, 2009, 01:51:34 pm »
This was supposed to be a horizontal dropout replacement for the Frankendale and turned into a quest for the perfect commuting bike (OK, it doesn't have a rack, but I used to have one and found I get on better with a courier bag).

18" frame, WTF-were-they-thinking On-One geometry means I need a 410mm layback seatpost (it reaches to an inch under the top tube junction), a 30mm (!) stem, and oodles of headset spacers.  The top tube is 23.7" and the seat tube is actually about 16" although it's an 18" frame including the extension.

I got the Diabolus DH stem half price from an eBay seller in Portugal.  Don't look up the full price, you might scare yourself.

Is it a dinner plate?  Is it a frisbee?  No, it's a 205mm brake disc for drag-brake stupidity.  Note old-school steel QR tucked under the caliper so it can't come loose.

Fairly simple control layout.

It rides...well, beautifully, which is surprising given the weird geometry and the slightly short forks (the frame is recommended for 470mm sussers, these are 445mm rigid Project Twos).

Kit list: On-One Inbred Slot Dropout 18" frame, Kona Project Two fork, Race Face Diabolus stem, Syncros bars, Cannondale grips, X-Lite Stubbie bar ends, Hope M4 (original) hydraulic disc brake with Mini lever and 205mm disc (no.8 caliper), Cane Creek S6 headset, Hope 30.0mm seatclamp, Thomson Elite layback seatpost, Specialized BG Comp 143 saddle, Shimano 107mm UN54 BB, Sugino XD cranks, Surly 38T s/s chainring, KMC Z510 gold chain (the cheapest thing on the bike - a fiver!), E.A.I. 14T sprocket.  Wheels: rear Goldtec track hub, 36 DT Competition black spokes, Mavic XC717 disc rim, Schwalble Marathon Plus 26 x 1.35 and front Hope Pro II hub, same spokes, rim and tyre.  Accessories: Halfords full mudguards with lots of custom bracketry and Smart 1/2-watt rear light.  Hope Vision 1 front light not shown.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.