Author Topic: Your top five weirdest films  (Read 14941 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Your top five weirdest films
« Reply #50 on: 15 July, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

'Man Bites Dog' then.

I was wondering if anyone would mention Man Bites Dog...I found bits of that quite funny, in a dark kind of way.

In the hotel the other day, there was a cartoon film on the telly, about an old woman with a dog whose grandson was a cyclist in the Tour de France, and he got kidnapped. 'The triplets of Belleville'. I only started watching it cos it had cycling in it...

The English title is Belleville Rendesvouz

Zoidburg

« Reply #51 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:38:31 pm »
The Road To Wellville

Running With Scissors

The Prestiege

Japanese Story

Life Force

This isnt a top 5 - just a few examples as I have seen far to many weird films

« Reply #52 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:13:21 pm »
Oh, I just remembered the weirdest EVER - Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle, 5 films in a series. I went to see all five in one hit at the Ritzy in Brixton. We smuggled in some illicit substances and it was easily the weirdest time I've ever had in a cinema.

The full series was released in a limited series of 20 sets of DVDs, sold each for at least $100,000 ...

OK, so not something I'm going to be able to get from Play then. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #53 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:20:13 pm »
Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but for me, quite a lot of what's been mentioned isn't weird at all - except the Cremaster Cycle - but then Matthew Barney calls himself a sculptor not a film-maker. Lucky bastard also goes out with Bjork - I am going to find him and kill him!  ;)

I reckon some of the earliest films are the weirdest, and not just because of the dislocation you get by being so far from the culture in which they were made - look at most of German expressionism - The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, for example, with its shadows and paper city. And The Beast with Five Fingers...

There's plenty of weird mainstream too - Herzog and Lynch, who have been mentioned, and of course, Nicholas Roeg are pretty odd. But what about all those 60s and 70s paranoia/conspiracy films like Blow Up or The Parrallax View?

More recently there was, yes - Donnie Darko and Eternal Sunshine - neither of which were quite as weird as they thought they were, but Being John Malkovitch, which really was - as were Pi and Primer, which was made for about the cost of a cup of coffee...

However for really weird you have to go underground... Vampire Hookers, Bruce Lee vs. Gay Power and other really messed up things. Then seriously odd stuff too like Ben Hopkins' Simon Magus or The Nine Lives of Thomas Katz...

« Reply #54 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:29:41 pm »
You lot have managed to already post most of the weird ones I can think of, here are my five weirdest after many of those (these are mostly only a little bit weird):

Kung Fu Hustle
Bad Taste
Shaolin Soccer
Goodbye Pork Pie
I Hired a Contract Killer

Also Lexx, but that was a TV Series, not film, so doesn't count.

CathH

« Reply #55 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »
Until The End of the World (Wim Wenders)
I love that film!  Went all-out to get the Director's 6 hour special - it's fantastic.
The Navigator - this film is like, well, remember watching late-night telly and being just on the edge of sleep and your mind starts to make up the plot?  Well, it's like that.

The Others

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #56 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:53:14 pm »
Drowning by Numbers

Cité des enfants perdus or "The City of Lost Children"

"Riget" or "The kingdom" another Lars Von Trier production

« Reply #57 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:57:32 pm »

Been watching this today, one of my favorite films.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #58 on: 15 July, 2008, 09:13:54 pm »

Been watching this today, one of my favorite films.

Mine too, but it's still weird.  :thumbsup:
I tend to like weird films rather than mainstream, they have so many more layers in them.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #59 on: 15 July, 2008, 09:16:31 pm »
I was going to say Django Kill but I've realised that I am confusing it with Jodowosky's fantastical El Topo.

Considering that El Topo features a blind man with the voice of a woman that lives in a tower and wears only a thong, and that the tower is guarded by a man with no legs sitting on the shoulders of a man with no arms clibming a ladder, it is an easy mistake to make.

Crippled hedgehogs, anyone?

Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Martin

« Reply #60 on: 15 July, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
1Eraserhead natch
2 Dead Ringers (slit your wrists depressing too
3 Mr Darko (and I've got the dvd)
4 Event Horizon (super scary too)

5 The Draughtsman's Contract

Dead Man? is that the b/w one with J Depp I fell asleep after 10 min?

« Reply #61 on: 15 July, 2008, 09:26:48 pm »
Considering that El Topo features a blind man with the voice of a woman that lives in a tower and wears only a thong, and that the tower is guarded by a man with no legs sitting on the shoulders of a man with no arms clibming a ladder, it is an easy mistake to make.

The traglines from IMDB say

See the naked young Franciscans whipped with cactus. See the bandit leader disemboweled. See the priest ride into the sunset with a midget and her newborn baby. What it all means isn't exactly clear, but you won't forget it.

Which is hardly less weird. :-\

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #62 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
ah, El Topo, now that really is weird.  ;D

Of course you can't really talk about weird without mentining Un Chien Andalou, or L'Age D'Or - surrealism may have been self-consciously weird and lots of the elements have been pastiched to death, but these are still really quite disturbing but watchable.

Craig

« Reply #63 on: 16 July, 2008, 01:04:59 am »
Has anyone mentioned The Science of Sleep? It is definitely weird, and rather happy. Same director as Eternal Sunshine (Michael Gondry), but even stranger. I liked it anyway.

« Reply #64 on: 16 July, 2008, 08:43:31 am »
Dead Man? is that the b/w one with J Depp I fell asleep after 10 min?
I'd forgotten that one! Absolutely brilliant, but you have to get past the train journey without falling asleep.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #65 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:45:43 am »
Goodbye Pork Pie

Goodbye Pork Pie, weird? Weird.

The Quiet Earth is a little bit weird, I'll allow. And Utu has a tincture of weirdness, mostly emanating from Anzac Wallace and the whole New Zealand spaghetti western schtick. It's fucking brilliant, though - I must have seen it a dozen times, and still look forward to next time :)
Profit or planet?

« Reply #66 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:53:17 am »
Goodbye Pork Pie, weird? Weird.

Well, I'd argue that it's not normal, who does a road movie with a mini! ... and I only claimed a bit of weirdness for my list. ;D

People had already got in with the really weird stuff.

« Reply #67 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:55:43 am »
Has anyone mentioned The Science of Sleep? It is definitely weird, and rather happy.

Weirder than Waking Life?
Profit or planet?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #68 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:35:00 am »
Oh, a film that I'd forgotten about is Russian Ark.  It's set in the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg & involves someone walking around the palace and meeting people from history.  I saw this at the cinema and was sooo bored as it's just this guy talking to people & there's no obvious storyline or anything.  I wasn't the only person that was bored because there were people walking out of the cinema.

Another film that isn't that weird, but is certainly different is Atanarjuat, which is an Inuit film. 

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #69 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:16:30 pm »
At uni the first film I saw at Film Soc was Ai No Corrida, it actually had people walking out of it. Now that's a weird film. I think the first scene was kids throwing snowballs at a drunks exposed genitals.

Freaks

Deliverance For a film that would be our ultimate nightmare, we spend rather too much time discussing it (well according to the girls anyway)

« Reply #70 on: 16 July, 2008, 01:37:16 pm »
At uni the first film I saw at Film Soc was Ai No Corrida, it actually had people walking out of it. Now that's a weird film. I think the first scene was kids throwing snowballs at a drunks exposed genitals.

It also features close up fellatio with cum shot and sexual violence.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #71 on: 16 July, 2008, 04:18:49 pm »
Being bored in grim, rain-swept Preston, I went to the Ritz Cinema and paid 1/6 for a stalls seat. 2001, A Space Odyssey was on: tiny scratchy picture in the distance, the smell of damp raincoats around me. It came to the scene where the astronaut is trying to close HAL, the computer down. HAL started singing Daisy, Daisy and I heard quavery voices striking up around me. A scattering of OAPs had also sought shelter from the rain, and were singing along with the music.

That sounds REALLY creepy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #72 on: 16 July, 2008, 04:24:40 pm »
Being John Malkovich

Eraserhead

The Masseur

Donnie Darko

Drowning by Numbers*

* I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Uncle Tom Cobbley And All yet
Getting there...

« Reply #73 on: 16 July, 2008, 04:31:04 pm »

Drowning by Numbers*

* I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Uncle Tom Cobbley And All yet

Ah yes, Peter Greenaway films. Refreshingly different.

I'm also reminded of the two Warhol/Morrissey films I've seen: Chelsea Girls, and Flesh.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #74 on: 16 July, 2008, 05:00:05 pm »
Anyone seen Salo? I can't recommend it; as well as being weird it is deeply disturbing.
Pen Pusher