Author Topic: eBay rant  (Read 28792 times)

Re: eBay rant
« Reply #125 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:51:59 pm »
Thinking about getting a small drone for some hill climbs and therefore spending far too long on ebay!

« Reply #126 on: 26 August, 2023, 02:12:50 pm »
Ah, the bay of thieves.

Bought something listed as the current model but they have sent the previous model.  Also, it is disgustingly filthy.

I have sent them my complaint with photographic evidence.

I remember why I don't generally use thievbay now.  My own fault for ignoring my own better judgement.

« Reply #127 on: 26 August, 2023, 05:42:53 pm »
After this week’s crap buyer, I once again won’t be using the evil harbour in either direction

« Reply #128 on: 12 October, 2023, 09:54:15 pm »
Yay, lucky me, I've just managed to buy a fake bluetooth speaker on ebay.   >:(  Return & refund requested accepted.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #129 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:01:31 pm »
Ah, the bay of thieves.

Bought something listed as the current model but they have sent the previous model.  Also, it is disgustingly filthy.

I have sent them my complaint with photographic evidence.

I remember why I don't generally use thievbay now.  My own fault for ignoring my own better judgement.
There is a truism that everything you buy from eBay needs washing before you can use it.  This is not linked to "washing off the factory AIDS" that is necessary for all new culinary hardware, it being an absolute known fact that, at the end of every factory production line, there is a special sprayer that coats every item in a nasty virus.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: 14 October, 2023, 01:16:11 pm »
There is a truism that everything you buy from eBay needs washing before you can use it.

Second hand stuff often needs sending back or scrubbing with swarfega because it's been in a house with a smoker.  TBH, I don't buy much second-hand stuff from eBay any more, and what little I do is mostly things like computer parts, which you're only going to be sniffing if they stop working.

It's more useful for small quantities of new things that are usually sold in the hundreds.  Sometimes I just need one or two of a particular fastener or electronic component, and it's cheaper than the shipping charge from a proper supplier.

« Reply #131 on: 14 October, 2023, 01:24:45 pm »
It’s becoming increasingly difficult to buy and sell. Facebook Marketplace is chock full of scammers - a still sealed in is packaging iPhone 15 anyone?  And FleaBay fees are off-putting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #132 on: 14 October, 2023, 08:13:16 pm »
Dodgy booksellers have been a problem since covid. They send books untracked, they don’t arrive. Your word against the bookseller. I demand click and collect or no sale.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #133 on: 14 October, 2023, 09:15:18 pm »
Dodgy booksellers have been a problem since covid. They send books untracked, they don’t arrive. Your word against the bookseller. I demand click and collect or no sale.

It's the seller's responsibility to provide evidence of delivery if your item didn't arrive. If the seller can't, you will get a refund.

I bought some books recently and they have all arrived (delivered to work though), condition were accurately described except for one book (Touring Bikes by Tony Oliver). And they were a lot cheaper than I had expected.

« Reply #134 on: 14 October, 2023, 09:45:04 pm »
Oh yes, I got refunds, but I have no wish to be put in that position. One seller was offensive about it and got a third party to send me a cheque for part of the purchase price!  I wasn't stupid enough to try and cash it.

I have bought some excellent books on ebay, often in better condition than I'd hoped and cheaper than Amazon. 

« Reply #135 on: 18 October, 2023, 06:57:17 pm »
Sellers, check your flipping messages.

When an item is 'collection only', it is reasonable to give a rough idea (say, a suburb) of the location. Just saying 'York' doesn't mean much, since the York postcode extends out to Pickering and Malton.

So it would be really useful if you checked your messages and said where the item is located.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #136 on: 19 October, 2023, 08:26:03 am »

When an item is 'collection only', it is reasonable to give a rough idea (say, a suburb) of the location. Just saying 'York' doesn't mean much, since the York postcode extends out to Pickering and Malton.

So it would be really useful if you checked your messages and said where the item is located.

Just in case of any confusion, the seller in York was not me! ;D

« Reply #137 on: 19 October, 2023, 09:29:25 am »
After all that fuss, MrsC has messaged me to remind me that she's bringing a passenger back with her, so the item wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

Not sure why either of us didn't think of that 2 days ago.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #138 on: 27 October, 2023, 09:21:16 pm »
I was watching an item, waited until about a 40 seconds before the auction ending, clicked on "place bid", got a pop up box, typed in my bid amount then clicked "review bid",  nothing happens...typed again, clicked "review bid", again nothing. Auction then ends.

That was 2 days ago, I just tried to bid on an auction, again I can't make a bid.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #139 on: 28 October, 2023, 07:51:21 am »
I was watching an item, waited until about a 40 seconds before the auction ending, clicked on "place bid", got a pop up box, typed in my bid amount then clicked "review bid",  nothing happens...typed again, clicked "review bid", again nothing. Auction then ends.

That was 2 days ago, I just tried to bid on an auction, again I can't make a bid.

Get yourself on AuctionSniper . . .

rogerzilla

« Reply #140 on: 28 October, 2023, 07:52:44 am »
I don't trust snipe tools that need your login details.  The ones that run on your own device are ok if the device is online at the time.

« Reply #141 on: 28 October, 2023, 08:13:56 pm »
It's working now, at least I'm seeing the "confirm bid" box.

It seems others had the same problem.
https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/Review-bid-fails/m-p/7502526

I wouldn't trust an online sniper either.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #142 on: 28 October, 2023, 08:23:11 pm »

Sellers postcode is published on 'collection only' items. Contact Seller takes you to a page that triages your question. Top of that page shows a thumbnail photo of the item with 'Location' as a postcode.

rogerzilla

« Reply #143 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:06:46 am »
I don't think we have a thread for "unbelievable online tat" but these fake books on eBay are an excellent example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235285593985?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=auJpSOdTT3O&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=NtG1_XQcQXK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Two copies of "Robison" Crusoe and the complete works of William Whades Peare.

« Reply #144 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:32:26 pm »
I noticed recently somebody was selling a 'Raleigh Team Banana' jersey.

Including a sponsor's logo of 'Sturmey Arcer', no less.

Front and back...

« Reply #145 on: 07 December, 2023, 02:05:40 pm »
I love eBay. I actually think it's one of the best websites on the internet. I sell a mix of old 'tat', old unused stuff (I wouldn't class as tat necessarily) and, brand new stuff bought for profit that I may have acquired in quantities whilst on a once in a long-time deal. It's the first classification that heightens it to premier website of the internet in my eyes. It gives children/young adults the opportunity to become a small business and understand the concepts trading and all the benefits that that brings, i.e. value in things and money and the importance of customer service, logistics and insurance. But I believe it is genuinely a benefit for the environment and ensures so much less stuff goes to landfill. It exposes your wares to a large market and once you understand how to operate the site you can filter out buyers of ill or little repute.

I will offer two tips though....Take great pictures showing all the flaws and features of the product you intend to sell under a bright light, with good contrast and sharp focus and secondly, send your items fully insured. I would recommend high value items with Royal Mail since Evri won't complete an investigation into a lost package until up to 30 workings days. No customer wants to wait for a refund that long so you could well refund the customer and then the package gets delivered later on and so you will be out of pocket. Royal Mail are much better in this regards.

« Reply #146 on: 08 December, 2023, 07:55:32 am »
eBay has enabled me to sell quite a few items, not always for what I think they are worth, one or two times I have done better than expected.  It has also taught me to be extra careful - if something looks too good to be true then ask for more and better pictures to start with.

So I don't mind it, it's a lesson in human nature in all its varieties.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #147 on: 08 December, 2023, 12:13:54 pm »
eBay has enabled me to sell quite a few items, not always for what I think they are worth, one or two times I have done better than expected.  It has also taught me to be extra careful - if something looks too good to be true then ask for more and better pictures to start with.

So I don't mind it, it's a lesson in human nature in all its varieties.

Pretty much my take on ebay (I have >1,000 rating in ~22 years!) - I also have an etsy shop to sell the pieces of furniture I acquire/buy, refurbish and sell . .  etsy seems to be pretty stable from the honesty/quality of customer perspective - and I get much better prices than I do on ebay for a similar commission rate.

« Reply #148 on: 09 December, 2023, 09:25:26 am »
Meanwhile on Amazon:

Me:
08-Dec-2023 1x:25
Item not received. Please confirm delivery status. Thank you

08-Dec-2023 2x:01

Dear Asterix the former Gaul,
We are pleased to hear that your order arrived and that you are happy with our service. We are looking forward to welcome you again soon.
Please feel free to leave your feedback.
Best regards,
System Customer Service [amazon market place seller]

Meanwhile the price of the DVD I had ordered, paid for and not received, doubled.  That's inflation for ya..

rogerzilla

« Reply #149 on: 09 December, 2023, 02:08:59 pm »
^^ same here.  Ordered a s/h book, got lost in post, got a refund.  Had to pay five times more for another copy.