Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620430 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14775 on: 16 June, 2022, 06:58:29 pm »
Yeah but you’ve got a fortnite before the return of the man
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14776 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:58:18 am »
My good lady wife really doesn't understand inflation and how much more expensive things are getting/going to get

I know its crap not being able to do things but I'm just fed up with having to be the one who says no to things rather then her thinking it through. Examples are her wanting to go off and see various friends and family all over the country and still failing to understand the fuel bill is going to be considerable as we have a big old uneconomical car which was OK before fuel prices nearly doubled in the last few years

We also got a lump sum for child tax/working tax as they had our earnings as higher then actually were which I thought brilliant that will help cover summer holiday expenses and go towards winter fuel bill. Straight away she wants to book dinner in the fancy restaurant in town and we can't really justify probably 100 quid for a night out

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14777 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:58:02 am »
Shirley the correct approach to receiving money from HMRC is to put it in the bank for 5 years in case they change their mind.  (DAHIKT)

« Reply #14778 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:13:46 pm »
I've just had a letter from the council telling me that my £150 Cost of Living council tax rebate is ready to be paid to me. This would be good news, except that to collect it I have to take the physical letter I've just received to a Post Office branch (nearest is 6 miles away, open office hours) along with my council tax bill and photo ID, whereupon I will be issued with £150 cash. I must do this within 1 month of the post date of the letter (7 days ago FFS).

I don't get a physical council tax bill, so I'll have to print my own out. I don't have a printer, so I'll have to ask someone else to do it for me. I have no other reason to go to town during office hours, so that's a special journey. I suppose I can use the same journey to put the cash into the bank. I pay council tax online (you have to register for an account), so why on earth can't it just be paid back onto the card/account I've paid from? Or even just deduct it from the next bill? Or even sending me a pissing cheque would have been more convenient.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14779 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:37:35 pm »
To make it as difficult as possible for people to claim it, obviously.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14780 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:19:08 pm »
Is the the £150 loan that they will want back, or something else?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14781 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:02:05 pm »

Something else, they had underpaid us child support/working tax credit as had got my salary wrong

« Reply #14782 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:17:21 pm »

No, mine is a free £150 rebate on council tax. See here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/council-tax-rebate-factsheet

I can't rant because it's free money, but I can certainly grumble about it being significantly more difficult to claim than it ought to be. I seriously wonder how many people who might actually need it will find themselves unable to get it.

« Reply #14783 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:48:34 pm »
Buck CC just paid it back into our account, fortunately. HMRC OTOH are areswipes with their bloody cheques  >:( >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14784 on: 17 June, 2022, 08:05:59 pm »
I think it was automagically paid into the bank accounts of anyone paying council tax by DD, but not others.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14785 on: 20 June, 2022, 10:22:15 am »
Walking, no, ambling from the accommodation to the office in camp this morning, my calf muscle went 'pop' and now I can't walk properly. Just what I need for wandering round 6 airports in 12 hours. FFS  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14786 on: 20 June, 2022, 10:40:14 am »
Finger!  I know I did you a mighty disservice in that incident involving E'd-up clubbers, loose gravel and a Mercedes S-Class but you shouldn’t suddenly start hurting now, because said incident took place in 1989 >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14787 on: 20 June, 2022, 11:32:12 am »
Finger!  I know I did you a mighty disservice in that incident involving E'd-up clubbers, loose gravel and a Mercedes S-Class but you shouldn’t suddenly start hurting now, because said incident took place in 1989 >:(

It's the weather i tell you,  mine, wot I did in about 1994 was aching yesterday as was my similarly iffy knee.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #14788 on: 20 June, 2022, 11:30:16 pm »
Six hours after leaving home for parts foreign I’m waiting for a taxi home having not escaped the airport. Shout out to EasyJet for being shit and doing everything possible other than simply admit defeat in which case I’d have been home at 9.30pm at least.

« Reply #14789 on: 21 June, 2022, 06:36:21 am »

No, mine is a free £150 rebate on council tax. See here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/council-tax-rebate-factsheet

I can't rant because it's free money, but I can certainly grumble about it being significantly more difficult to claim than it ought to be. I seriously wonder how many people who might actually need it will find themselves unable to get it.

it's definitely not free money.  It's a rebate.  There will be many poorer folk who need it most but are more likely not to manage the hoops.

ian

« Reply #14790 on: 21 June, 2022, 12:34:47 pm »
Six hours after leaving home for parts foreign I’m waiting for a taxi home having not escaped the airport. Shout out to EasyJet for being shit and doing everything possible other than simply admit defeat in which case I’d have been home at 9.30pm at least.

Will go for round 2 (was part-hoping they'd have no seats for today's flight, but it seems I'm rebooked). If they cancel it again, I'm stomping Gatwick in a Godzilla fashion.

If there was one dubious benefit to Covid, it was not having to step foot near a plane. You know it's bad news when they have to wake up the plummy-voiced captain to deliver it. Either that or the people who do the actual Easyjet plane-driving have been faking the regional accents. TimC will be here in a moment to deliver a stern rebuke. But I bet it sounds reassuring.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14791 on: 21 June, 2022, 12:59:54 pm »

Will go for round 2 (was part-hoping they'd have no seats for today's flight, but it seems I'm rebooked). If they cancel it again, I'm stomping Gatwick in a Godzilla fashion.

If there was one dubious benefit to Covid, it was not having to step foot near a plane. You know it's bad news when they have to wake up the plummy-voiced captain to deliver it. Either that or the people who do the actual Easyjet plane-driving have been faking the regional accents. TimC will be here in a moment to deliver a stern rebuke. But I bet it sounds reassuring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPkKEttKIQU

« Reply #14792 on: 21 June, 2022, 01:51:49 pm »

Did you deliberately pick that video because the successful pilot's name was Collins?  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14793 on: 21 June, 2022, 03:13:48 pm »

Did you deliberately pick that video because the successful pilot's name was Collins?  ;D

I thought it was a trailer for a biopic.

But, honestly, I didn't know (or I've forgotten) what the C stood for  :facepalm:

« Reply #14794 on: 23 June, 2022, 10:13:10 am »
My wife insists on a physical newspaper every day, and since the demise of the Independent we take the Graun. They've just put up our subscription by 20%.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #14795 on: 23 June, 2022, 07:19:29 pm »
What’s that EasyJet, flight delayed till 0017. How delightful. Also after Swiss National Bedtime so get in the fucking sea, you are not easy and don’t appear to have any usefully located jets. Do not attempt to travel at the moment, it is in the words of TV’s best accent fucking diabolical.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14796 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:07:02 pm »
Just to heighten our gloom, I see that BA ground staff have voted for strike action, which will be annoying if it continues into September.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #14797 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:13:33 pm »
My flight is cancelled. Yet not cancelled on the EasyJet system. If they would just admit it I could fuck off to find a hotel.

ian

« Reply #14798 on: 23 June, 2022, 10:57:32 pm »
And eventually they did the deed. Need a hotel, sir? Owing to unprecedented demand good luck finding you own sir. Need to rebook a flight, sir? How's Sunday sound? Do you like Luton? We hear it's lovely, sir. A clear statement of your rights to rebook with another airline? Talk to our staff, sir. We don't have any, but our call centre will be open at 8am tomorrow.

Gave up and found a hotel and rebooked on another airline on an epic trek via Spain since there are precisely zero seats on anything tomorrow. Why might that be, possibly because the hotel receptionist looked up at me and uttered 'Gatwick flight?' Seems they've cancelled the same flight (and many others) every night this week.

What really fucks me off is that I could have just stayed where I was (and would have been enjoying a bbq with the boss tonight) rather than traipsing to the airport for no good reason whatsover. I'd raise this to a rant, but I realise it's ultimately a #firstworldproblem.

Though to make it serious, I've spent so long fucking about, that I'm doomed to a room service meal at half midnight.

« Reply #14799 on: 23 June, 2022, 11:31:05 pm »
Enjoy