Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576007 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14825 on: 29 June, 2022, 09:50:14 pm »
£750. Must have been living large. Good job for them that I'm not a Tory MP.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14826 on: 29 June, 2022, 09:53:31 pm »
I think ten years got me a £100 voucher, no idea what, if anything 15 years gets me.  I'll find out in October.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14827 on: 29 June, 2022, 09:54:59 pm »
I was Tupe'd shortly after 20 years service - £800 in vouchers - to a company which, weirdly, gave £1200 after 21 years. So that was 2 long service awards a year apart. My current employer, after yet another TUPE transfer, recognizes 35 years service, but required that I sign over from my Tupe'd Ts&Cs to their standard terms for me to qualify, which wasn't worth my while at the time, but would have been a couple of years later. Overall, I can't complain. Except I've never been given an ice cream.

« Reply #14828 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:22:32 pm »
20 years in my place probably makes you one of the founders, or close to it. So, shares that were probably worth a reasonable amount when we got bought. In my case, 20 years ought to get rolled into retirement. But that’s a way off!

ian

« Reply #14829 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:40:23 pm »
My mothership is about 11 years old and back then it was about six people and three dogs. We did have our first retirement. That said, we should have 2200 people by the end of the year. Don’t ask me how many dogs.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14830 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:36:18 pm »
I’ve had two lots of £500 the last at 40 years. I think I got the first at either 25 or 30 years, but they kept changing the time required for the first one. I might have got,something for 20 years, but it’s a long time ago. I would also extra holiday allowance at 30 years if I’d not gon and got promoted in a shine seat role before then which attracted the maximum holiday allowance already.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14831 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:03:27 pm »
I refused to engage with our hospitals long service awards.  I have worked in the NHS for 41 years except for 6 months when I was sent to Ghana to set up a Plastic Surgery Unit in 1994.  The idiots wanted to give me a framed certificate for 25 years and refused to give me a 40 year award.  I told them to piss off.

« Reply #14832 on: 01 July, 2022, 07:17:30 am »
At the current place, the shorter long service awards (5, 10 etc.) get a pin badge to put on your lanyard, and a free buffet lunch with the senior management team in one of the conference rooms upstairs after the pin badge giving ceremony in the same room. I think you have to hit 25 before it's anything meaningful.

Whoopee! I didn't bother turning up, my pin badge is in one of the random boxes of stuff at work.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14833 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:29:34 am »
I refused to engage with our hospitals long service awards.  I have worked in the NHS for 41 years except for 6 months when I was sent to Ghana to set up a Plastic Surgery Unit in 1994.  The idiots wanted to give me a framed certificate for 25 years and refused to give me a 40 year award.  I told them to piss off.
That sounds a bit like the same sort of bureaucratic thinking that a colleague of mines father suffered with his war service. He volunteered so he could join the RAF to fly, and rejoined the PO on demob. His war service was excluded from his Post Office pensionable service as a consequence. His conscripted colleagues all had their war service counted in their PO pensionable service. My colleague reported his father was very bitter about this treatment.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14834 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:33:31 am »
That sounds a bit like the same sort of bureaucratic thinking that a colleague of mines father suffered with his war service. He volunteered so he could join the RAF to fly, and rejoined the PO on demob. His war service was excluded from his Post Office pensionable service as a consequence. His conscripted colleagues all had their war service counted in their PO pensionable service. My colleague reported his father was very bitter about this treatment.
Exactly the same, I know I am being petty but I was so annoyed with them after I have worked my socks off for the NHS.

« Reply #14835 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:49:38 am »
At my previous employer, 10 years service qualified for a £50 Argos voucher. I was due to be presented with it on the day I left to move to my current job.  It was suggested that it 'wouldn't be appropriate' for me to attend the ceremony - which was of course the only possible way to make me want to!  :facepalm:

[But not enough to actually do so.]

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14836 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:52:10 am »
I was actually using up my leave allowance after I had left the office when I reached my 40y. My boss held ‘the ceremony’ at the last team meeting I attended instead.  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14837 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:06:37 pm »
Exactly the same, I know I am being petty but I was so annoyed with them after I have worked my socks off for the NHS.

justifiably so if it was the NHS/GOVUK that sent you to Ghana anyway.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14838 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:39:39 pm »
I need to pop out to the chemists for further supplies of Drugs before the start of “The *** & Super D Show” but it’s just gone very dark and very wet outside.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14839 on: 01 July, 2022, 07:04:54 pm »
20 years service this month and although it's nice to get a present, here's what my choice appears to boil down to:
B & O Beoplay H95 wireless headphones - these look very nice indeed but I'm not sure I need a pair of £700 cans  :o
An Apple watch - I don't do iThings
A selection of iPads - see above
A selection of iPhones - as I said...
A Lenovo laptop - actually we could do with a new laptop but 14" is a bit too small.
Various wanky golf clubs or watches
A selection of GBFO gas BBQ grill things

What I'd much rather have is a selection of useful Makita tools that I can see available in the general catalog but aren't available to me, presumably because they're not expensive enough.
(Yes I could get something and sell it on ebay in theory but I've never done that before and reading the stories on here doesn't make me inclined...)

Today myself and a fellow long term inmate had another look and found that all the B&O headphones had gone from the selection and had been replaced by several ghastly designer handbags (they might be designer but they look like they're worth all of a fiver).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14840 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:48:12 am »
One place I worked at gave a set of flying ducks for 25 years.

The whole idea's a bit crap really. What they should be giving is a pay rise and an annual bonus so if anyone wants to choose some random stuff from a catalogue they can afford to. That's the attitude at my current place, where you get a perspex block to stick on your desk at 10 years, and a bigger one at 20. But they pay us adequately.

One thing they did do was some years ago when the company was much smaller, the owner said that if the company grew by X% over the next Y years, anyone still with the company would get a percentage. There are no shareholders. The company did grow, many of the original cohort had left, so the ones still there ended up with a "long service gift" comfortably into seven figures.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #14841 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:38:18 am »
I confess, I don't much see the point, other than the old skool recognition, I suppose. No one sticks around for the long-service award. I really wanted a gift card. I did work at the same place for 18 years (well, I worked for a start-up that was acquired and then spent another decade and a bit bouncing around various roles before I was enticed into defection). Honestly, I was hoping to get made redundant, a year's salary (which they were giving out) would have a nice long-service award. But they made it clear that it wasn't going to happen, big meanies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14842 on: 02 July, 2022, 03:33:32 pm »
Long service awards always make me think of Second Technician Arnold J Rimmer's medals.

They're a bit of an anachronism now that staying at one employer for more than a few years means you either:
a) Work for the NHS (other monolithic public sector bodies are available)
2) Are sticking with the devil you know for fear of discrimination
iii) Have been in the role since jobs for life were normal, are likely now indispensable, and are biding your time for retirement or a lucrative redundancy payout.

« Reply #14843 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:19:37 pm »
Wago have a range of connectors with 2.54 mm spacing (0.1"), presumably to allow for vero board and other electronics stuffs using imperial measurements, which is fine and might be useful, if they didn't cock it up by having the rows 5 mm apart.

Wago 233-506 if anyone wants to look it up.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14844 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:36:23 pm »
 :facepalm:

Wonder if that's still wedgeable?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14845 on: 04 July, 2022, 01:44:55 pm »
Stupid webshites that tell you to upgrade your browser when they mean "sorry, we CBA to test it with anything except Chrome".  They can FRO.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14846 on: 04 July, 2022, 02:31:06 pm »
I've been instructed to do that when I've been using an up-to-date version of Chrome too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14847 on: 04 July, 2022, 02:46:50 pm »
Stupid webshites that tell you to upgrade your browser when they mean "sorry, we CBA to test it with anything except Chrome".  They can FRO.
I've been instructed to do that when I've been using an up-to-date version of Chrome too.

Thanks for reminding me of yet another reason why I take inspiration from the Patrician of Ankh Morpork's enlightened policy WRT mime artists when it comes to web developers. :demon:

Vetinari ... tends to hang mime artists upside down in a scorpion pit opposite a sign reading "Learn The Words," but this is generally taken by the population as simply an amusing character trait.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14848 on: 04 July, 2022, 05:58:42 pm »
That makes a change from it being internet explorer one is admonished to use. To be fair to web devs, it’s not their policy, but that of the Product Managers who will not stump up the beans cor further testing and development to be undertaken.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14849 on: 04 July, 2022, 06:31:26 pm »
I suspect part of the problem is that successful web development companies eventually get borged by marketing companies.  Even if the devs survive the resulting culture clash, the product probably doesn't.