Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1621580 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14875 on: 14 July, 2022, 06:08:27 pm »
(click to show/hide)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14876 on: 14 July, 2022, 10:44:06 pm »
<mode=grumpy_old_man>

I’m going to have to stop watching American maker videos.

It’s annoying that they’ve nearly all got massive workshops and they they’ve nearly all got sponsorship deals with Festool and thus have all the gear. But that’s not just an American phenomenon, many other nationals have big purpose built workspaces and all the (sponsor supplied) tools*. That’s only a green bug eyed monster driven irritation though.

No, the one unique fault that nearly ALL American makers have is their insistence on using an archaic outdated irrational and quite frankly annoying system of measurement. Many without even bothering to acknowledge and provide more sane measurements as well. It’s really REALLY beginning to get to me.

And breathe.

*Matthias Wandel and John Heisz aside, whom both mostly make their own ‘shop tools. And as an aside (I suspect being Canadian) both also tend to either work in metric or reference metric measurements. But then I’ll admit to a little bit,of fanboyizm towards both.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14877 on: 14 July, 2022, 10:51:10 pm »
I can generally pretend they just like making the maths harder.  And then they get the drill bits out...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14878 on: 15 July, 2022, 07:40:13 am »
<mode=grumpy_old_man>

I’m going to have to stop watching American maker videos.

It’s annoying that they’ve nearly all got massive workshops and they they’ve nearly all got sponsorship deals with Festool and thus have all the gear. But that’s not just an American phenomenon, many other nationals have big purpose built workspaces and all the (sponsor supplied) tools*. That’s only a green bug eyed monster driven irritation though.

No, the one unique fault that nearly ALL American makers have is their insistence on using an archaic outdated irrational and quite frankly annoying system of measurement. Many without even bothering to acknowledge and provide more sane measurements as well. It’s really REALLY beginning to get to me.

I don't let it get to me: after all, their horizons are limited and if they're any good they can get to a million subscribers on US viewers alone. If they switched to metric their sponsors would drop them.

And anyway, I'm grateful to one such who showed me how to build a barn door: https://youtu.be/ussfk-416xQ if you're interested. Of course, mine are about twice the size...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14879 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:52:31 pm »
Is that the imperial to metric conversion?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14880 on: 15 July, 2022, 04:42:25 pm »
Yebbut I'm not aiming at Mars so it's OK.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14881 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:04:58 pm »
I can imagine the first man on mars "one giant leap... who the f*** left that knackered old farm trailer there?"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14882 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:49:38 pm »
Renowned polluters Southern Water cancelled their appointment for today yesterday afternoon. Next one is in august, so quite a lot more over hot showers for us.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14883 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:54:44 am »
Judging by the temperature predictions you'll be needing cold showers anyway.

« Reply #14884 on: 16 July, 2022, 10:08:02 pm »
Judging by the temperature predictions you'll be needing cold showers anyway.
Our shower temperature is just dictated by the flow and the cold temperature. So far the water in the pipes is a bit cold for my tastes, even on a hot day! :)

« Reply #14885 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:15:16 am »
Bah. Cycled back through Richmond Park last night gone midnight with Mrs hatler. Roehampton Gate wide open. Got to Robin Hood Gate and it was chained shut.

Had to hurk two bikes over the gates. Not easy a few beers under.

Harrumph.

Suitably grumpy email despatched to the Park.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14886 on: 17 July, 2022, 01:20:46 pm »
Yes madam, I make myself a busybody when you're crossing a busy road near a corner when you have a young child with you and you were probably her grandmother. Pointing out that there was a pelican crossing 10 metres away was my public service for the day. Don't get your grandchild into poor road crossing habits, you foolish person.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14887 on: 17 July, 2022, 04:54:47 pm »
Google maps! First there was a cafe on yesterday's ride, which the ride leader had checked on Google maps. Open 10-4 on Saturday. When we got there, no, it's completely closed at weekends. Then this morning I had said I'd lend a hand at a friend's allotment. I'd never been there before so they sent me a link on Google maps. A nice clear easy-to-follow walking route. Which then wanted me to walk through a school playground. This was of course locked and there's no path anyway. Well it's a new school – built in 2006! I managed to find another way round, found the entrance and then it turned out this wasn't even the right allotments – hers is a separate section on a different road.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14888 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:03:53 pm »
Got in the car to go to the hairdresser. Battery was flat.
Ummed and ahhed about bike or bus but I don't like leaving the bike unsupervised long in town.
Bus was late and then the driver spent 5 mins dicking about on his phone at the terminus before leaving.
Bus home was late.
Got home and Pingu said one of the bikes hung on the garage wall with hooks and masonry wall plugs had fallen off the wall.
That's enough for one evening.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14889 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:21:59 pm »
“Where TF has the heavy-duty soopa-sticki clear tape gone?” growled a very hot and sticky Mr Larrington, after turning the Estate Office umop-ap!sdn and failing to find it.  Before remembering that he'd put it in his rucksack the other week when taking a parcel destined for Abroad to the Post Ossif :facepalm:

Also, Porcel Farce say they'll collect parcel destined for Abroad v2.0 “between 09:00 & 16:30”.  Which means I'll be sofa-bound by 08:55 and the Porcel Farce minion coming at 16:28. Bah.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14890 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:37:12 am »
Got in the car to go to the hairdresser. Battery was flat.
Ummed and ahhed about bike or bus but I don't like leaving the bike unsupervised long in town.
Bus was late and then the driver spent 5 mins dicking about on his phone at the terminus before leaving.
Bus home was late.
Got home and Pingu said one of the bikes hung on the garage wall with hooks and masonry wall plugs had fallen off the wall.
That's enough for one evening.

Surely he complimented you on the haircut as well ?  ;D

[Years a go when I worked in an office one of the girl used to go for haircuts at lunchtime about every 6 weeks - on those days her boss put a Post-it on his screen to remind him to say "Hair looks nice" when she came back  ;D ;D]

« Reply #14891 on: 21 July, 2022, 08:58:57 am »
I went to ride in this morning and the front tyre won't keep air in. And not enough time to both fix it and ride in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #14892 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:31:09 am »

[Years a go when I worked in an office one of the girl used to go for haircuts at lunchtime about every 6 weeks - on those days her boss put a Post-it on his screen to remind him to say "Hair looks nice" when she came back  ;D ;D]

Which reminded me of one of the offerings in Monkey Dust.

Aaanyway, our garden sprinkler has been failing for a while, the oscillating "motor" sticking at random times, resulting in excess puddling.  So I bought a replacement, exactly (huh!) the same model.  Except it's been "improved" by reducing the size of the holes in the spray bar.  This results in a finer spray (too fine to be discerned from the tap when watering the far end of the plot), meaning longer watering periods are required, and a spray pattern, which used to just match the width of our garden (a magnificent 11ft), now exceeding it by some margin giving overspray into neighbouring plots. Regulating this means fiddling with the tap in it's final 1/4 turn of travel. Bah.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14893 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:32:47 am »

Which reminded me of one of the offerings in Monkey Dust.

Me too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXKk_gxigQ

« Reply #14894 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:31:18 pm »
The baby Jersey Royals I've just boiled aren't cooling down quickly enough on the kitchen window sill to render them a candidate for tonight's potato salad.
I need to eat.
First world  problem, maybe...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14895 on: 21 July, 2022, 08:54:51 pm »
Pingu always greets me ironically with exactly the phrase from Monkey Dust.

« Reply #14896 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:20:15 pm »
Aaanyway, our garden sprinkler has been failing for a while, the oscillating "motor" sticking at random times, resulting in excess puddling.  So I bought a replacement, exactly (huh!) the same model.  Except it's been "improved" by reducing the size of the holes in the spray bar.  This results in a finer spray (too fine to be discerned from the tap when watering the far end of the plot), meaning longer watering periods are required, and a spray pattern, which used to just match the width of our garden (a magnificent 11ft), now exceeding it by some margin giving overspray into neighbouring plots. Regulating this means fiddling with the tap in it's final 1/4 turn of travel. Bah.

Can't you dismantle them and then mantle them in the opposite order so you end up with the innards of one and the outards of the other?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14897 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:36:52 pm »
I keep reading excess pudding. Which obviously is not even a thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14898 on: 21 July, 2022, 11:20:25 pm »
I keep reading excess pudding. Which obviously is not even a thing.

This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or sentiment ~ Bethany (12), this evening.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14899 on: 22 July, 2022, 03:22:34 pm »
Your email isn't that important. Why are you always putting it as high priority