Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1622150 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14800 on: 24 June, 2022, 12:02:45 am »
You've not been reading the news I guess...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #14801 on: 24 June, 2022, 07:04:23 am »
Oh god, what have I done now?  I didn’t know they didn’t provide those ‘services’ at a Crowne Plaza.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14802 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:11:16 am »
They don’t.  You've just been compromised by Moscow.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14803 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:23:12 am »
Bloody cancel culture.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14804 on: 24 June, 2022, 10:25:27 am »
Many years ago, I had a delightful flight to Nice (I think) - urgent customer issue, need to get on the first flight there. So 6:30am flight from Manchester to Heathrow, then down to Nice. Except the 6:30 flight was delayed because someone hadn't got on, but their bags were, then they decided to check the wings and de-ice them. I guess it's unusual for it to be cold up north in February, so nobody thought to check. That meant I missed the flight from Heathrow. No problem, BA sent me to Gatwick on the coach to get the afternoon flight. Which didn't go because fog at Gatwick meant the incoming flight was diverted to Heathrow. A night in a Gatwick hotel (paid for by BA), without my bags because for some reason they'd been sent to Lyon, which wasn't on either my original or revised flight plan, then managed to get the first flight out of Gatwick to arrive at the customer only 24 hours late.

I don't miss flying.

ian

« Reply #14805 on: 24 June, 2022, 11:46:50 am »
As a seasoned traveller in places more, erm, rustic than western Europe, I'm relatively sanguine about such matters. Cheap flights are cheap for a reason, when they go wrong you're on your own. I'd have minded a lot less if they'd cancelled the flights in advance, they obviously knew several hours before that they weren't going to happen, but they drag it out to the very last minute. Complete information drought, of course, and the entire information service at Geneva was one increasingly harried poor woman mobbed by several hundred people (EasyJet alone had cancelled five flights). And they're very cagey about your rights (like booking on an alternative carrier), which they don't list on the piece of paper they hand out, but instead you have to find them on a website (along with the small print about compensation). In fact, if you don't have a working smart phone, you're probably screwed.

I was super-tempted to get the train home, but it has a late arrival in the UK at the wrong end of London for Surrey. So now I'm having coffee in Barcelona. Mostly annoyed that I have a pile of work I planned to get done today and the airport wifi isn't up to much more than this.

« Reply #14806 on: 24 June, 2022, 12:03:17 pm »
For a period I had access to the flight system at Geneva (working the skiing holiday trade).

I would regularly see flight delays on the system of many hours, but the publicly displayed info would only ever show a maximum of about an hour and a half.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #14807 on: 24 June, 2022, 12:15:57 pm »
As far as I could deduce from the internet science of flight information, the plane that was supposed to turn into my plane was cancelled earlier in the day, so I don't think the service ever existed after lunchtime. I did feel sorry for the poor information clerk though. Plenty of frustrated people and quite a few in tears.

« Reply #14808 on: 24 June, 2022, 02:09:15 pm »
It was not unusual for a plane to be on the tarmac at GVA, with an LGW return ahead of it before its next flight to LGW, to still be showing as a one hour delay.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #14809 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:46:46 pm »
Back in the UK. Huzzah, I think. With beer. Glorious cold beer.

That said, I am going to Florence next month and my wife is travelling to Barcelona next week. Time for more grumbling. Is any of this interesting to anyone? I suspect not. Think of yourselves as my therapists. This may explain many of my problems.

Just in case you think I'm living the crazy expense-fueled highlife and all this is merely a brag, I sent a picture of my Tuesday night meal to my wife, which was two little plastic bottles of merlot and a little tube of Pringles. Yours for £10.50.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14810 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:59:01 pm »
I read that as two litre bottles of merlot, either impressive, or problem.

My trip to that LONDON tues/weds went better than anticipated, mostly because i left home before 5am tues, and surfed the front of the wave, and left afterv6pm weds to miss the worst of the shit.

Unlike me, I think most sensible people stayed home
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #14811 on: 24 June, 2022, 10:09:20 pm »
Indeed, but it was a very important business meeting* and, incidentally, (a curiously early) company summer party (the London one is in a more sensible August)

*laugh it up, but they put a Tidy Haired Thought Leader™ in charge of things. It seems as foolish to me as to you.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14812 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:29:08 am »
Got an email from social security this morning: "An important message is available on your account". Log into account, sure enough there's a wee box reading "New Message!".  Click on box: "Not available".  Email just now: "Someone logged into your account".

Feckin shower.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14813 on: 25 June, 2022, 11:01:31 am »
Campsites that play music in the showers. And it's always Radio 2. Just why?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14814 on: 25 June, 2022, 11:10:25 am »
Because you always need to know about hold ups and lane closures in obscure parts of the country while you're in the shower.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14815 on: 25 June, 2022, 11:11:03 am »
To prevent wanton and reprehensible singing?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14816 on: 25 June, 2022, 01:18:28 pm »
To prevent wanton and reprehensible singing?
But that's exactly what they play!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #14817 on: 25 June, 2022, 02:05:05 pm »
If there was one dubious benefit to Covid, it was not having to step foot near a plane.
I didn't find that a dubious benefit at all, home all summer 2020 was fab even if I was chained to my desk annoyingly long hours 6 days a week.
I also enjoyed the time as things started to ease and only essential travel was allowed.  Yes there was a load of extra paperwork to carefully negotiate but the only good airport is a nearly empty airport and planes maximum 2/3 full are better than the same plane rammed.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14818 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:27:02 pm »
20 years service this month and although it's nice to get a present, here's what my choice appears to boil down to:
B & O Beoplay H95 wireless headphones - these look very nice indeed but I'm not sure I need a pair of £700 cans  :o
An Apple watch - I don't do iThings
A selection of iPads - see above
A selection of iPhones - as I said...
A Lenovo laptop - actually we could do with a new laptop but 14" is a bit too small.
Various wanky golf clubs or watches
A selection of GBFO gas BBQ grill things

What I'd much rather have is a selection of useful Makita tools that I can see available in the general catalog but aren't available to me, presumably because they're not expensive enough.
(Yes I could get something and sell it on ebay in theory but I've never done that before and reading the stories on here doesn't make me inclined...)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #14819 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:33:29 pm »
For ten years service I got a £250 Amazon gift token in USD. I didn’t stick around for twenty. My boss used to send me a booze hamper every Christmas though. My team get a free night out/night in once a month. If they’re good boys and girls.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14820 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:39:54 pm »
Campsites that play music in the showers. And it's always Radio 2. Just why?

I don't think I've experienced this phenomenon...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #14821 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:54:27 pm »
C+CC site, ALC meet, in Clitheroe was guilty of this very crime in 2019.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

ian

« Reply #14822 on: 29 June, 2022, 08:16:33 pm »
So, I am about to go do battle with the EasyJet compensation computer. If this doesn't make me swear plentifully, nothing will.

I have an emergency midweek beer in hand.

To start with, why is the booking reference never anywhere useful. For fuck's sake, just put it in every email and don't insist I keep inputting it. You know what the booking is, it's there on-screen, right in front of me.

« Reply #14823 on: 29 June, 2022, 08:46:23 pm »
For ten years service I got a £250 Amazon gift token in USD. I didn’t stick around for twenty. My boss used to send me a booze hamper every Christmas though. My team get a free night out/night in once a month. If they’re good boys and girls.

We get an ice-cream once a year

ian

« Reply #14824 on: 29 June, 2022, 09:18:41 pm »
That's because you are a very bad boy.