Author Topic: Rogerzilla's ramblings on past Dun Runs  (Read 10959 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Rogerzilla's ramblings on past Dun Runs
« Reply #50 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:35:10 am »
Manningtree Station is a fine place, marred in recent years by a few hundred km's distance to Auntie Helen.

It'll be much better when they finish molishing the lifts.

« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:01:51 am »
2007 (the wet DNF year - this was TEN YEARS AGO now  :o :o :o)

London Fields
dunrun2 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

10 years ago indeed! I notice I'm in my default rolling a snout position in that photo  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #52 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:42:58 am »
...but still with the coolest hair!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
"The wet one" was the year I decided not to do the Dun Run, having experienced the Blue Moon Ride only a couple of weeks previously.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #54 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:10:57 pm »
How does Roger appear twice in that top photo, WJ?
How does he do that?
Is it time-lapse or something?
How very dare you, Mr B!  That reminds me, I do need a haircut. And a bike ride.

« Reply #55 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:23:09 pm »
How does he do that?
How very dare you, Mr B!  That reminds me, I do need a haircut. And a bike ride.

Funnily enough, I had a feeling that might've been you even though you're mostly obscured.

« Reply #56 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »
Late to the party but hey, what's new ?
DD 2007 was my first night ride and my first 100+ mile ride.
I didn't enjoy it. Leaving my waterproof at home didn't help but at least I finished, primarily because I didn't have a plan B.

I did DD 2008 with Helen. She was on her MTB. Respect  :thumbsup:.
We also did 2009. We'd done Vätternrundan a few weeks earlier so DD didn't seem that difficult although we weren't fast.

The last time that I rode from London Village to Dunwich was when Redfalo OTP organised a midnight start DD which, after a pre-arranged breakfast in one of the Dunwich pubs, then continued to Diss where we had beer (natch) and punned to the point, almost, of Dissharmony. It was a fantastic night.
I'd recommend the Hackney-Dunwich-Diss ride over the "official" ride any day night.

The thread of the ride that I did is over on Cyclechat:- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dun-run-lite-friday-3-oct.161680/

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #57 on: 10 May, 2017, 07:06:19 pm »
How does he do that?

He appeared twice in photos of 2009(? or whatever year WJ did it on the wobble bike and Charlotte did it on the Ordinary) as well, IIRC.  (Although one of him was me on that occasion.)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #58 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »
Late to the party but hey, what's new ?
DD 2007 was my first night ride and my first 100+ mile ride.
I didn't enjoy it. Leaving my waterproof at home didn't help but at least I finished, primarily because I didn't have a plan B.

I did DD 2008 with Helen. She was on her MTB. Respect  :thumbsup:.
We also did 2009. We'd done Vätternrundan a few weeks earlier so DD didn't seem that difficult although we weren't fast.

The last time that I rode from London Village to Dunwich was when Redfalo OTP organised a midnight start DD which, after a pre-arranged breakfast in one of the Dunwich pubs, then continued to Diss where we had beer (natch) and punned to the point, almost, of Dissharmony. It was a fantastic night.
I'd recommend the Hackney-Dunwich-Diss ride over the "official" ride any day night.

The thread of the ride that I did is over on Cyclechat:- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dun-run-lite-friday-3-oct.161680/

I've led a relatively happy life, with few, if any, regrets.
But having just re-read your CC ride report I do wish I had been on that ride.

sam

Memory Lane
« Reply #59 on: 30 March, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »
I'm omnipresent.

A trait we share, in my case combined with a fondness for zombies.

2007: The half in my six-and-a-half Dun Runs.  Planned group was an ACF "Team Speed" led by Simon Legg of FNRttC fame along with Sam Walker...

I remember that night. It was speedy, as I recall. It can be difficult to take it easy and relax, with all those miles to go before we sleep.

…dug myself a shallow grave on the beach

Dunwich Dynamo: The Resurrection

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #60 on: 31 March, 2019, 07:16:22 pm »
Happy Days.
That means it's 10 years since I last did it, I think.  Or more likely I've done it thrice.
I do remember 2005 and 2007.  I had waterproof over a shirt, and kept going as it was warmer than the alternative.  It's me with the pony tail and back to the camera I think.
I suspect 2007 mayn't have been the year I did it as an audax/came back to Ipswich with Chris N.  I went and saw a friend on the way past and nearly forgot the final brevidence.
Ipswich being the location of chateau arabella I miss all the get home afterwards fun.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

sam

« Reply #61 on: 31 March, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »

« Reply #62 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:41:34 pm »
I do think that I'm probably lucky to have had (what, in my view, are) the best years of this ride.
The ride, big enough to warrant some effective support at the half-way stop and the Flora tea rooms - without being oversubscribed.
Me, being fit enough to ride on a further ~26 miles to catch a train home from Diss  / or being able to embark on the ride having done a FNRttC the night before....
While I'm unlikely to engage with the ride again, I'll continue to recommend it to those who haven't tried it, to give it a go.
There isn't, to the best of my knowledge, anything else quite like it.

ETA  - Hello Sam, BTW.

« Reply #63 on: 31 March, 2019, 11:36:39 pm »

OMG that’s me on the right :-( Not the most flattering of pictures!

ETA: hello Sam, and Arabella.