Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576116 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11825 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:47:37 pm »
They're just ever-so-carefully avoiding assumptions.  Even during their appeals for witnesses back in the 1950s the Beeb would speak of "a car that mounted the pavement" rather than someone driving onto it.

Except they don't do so elsewhere, it's mostly only motorised vehicles that are granted their own agency. Knives don't rampage. It's still a reasonable assumption that cars are driven by someone.

« Reply #11826 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:50:14 pm »
True, but there are instances of drivers being incapacitated for one reason or another, making their subsequent actions involuntary. Despite what the courts might decide, I'm unconvinced of accidental stabbings.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11827 on: 14 February, 2020, 02:12:39 pm »
They're just ever-so-carefully avoiding assumptions.  Even during their appeals for witnesses back in the 1950s the Beeb would speak of "a car that mounted the pavement" rather than someone driving onto it.

Except they don't do so elsewhere, it's mostly only motorised vehicles that are granted their own agency. Knives don't rampage. It's still a reasonable assumption that cars are driven by someone.

Trains, planes... I dare say that in the 19th century the broadsheets might mention people being mown down by the London-Manchester coach.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11828 on: 14 February, 2020, 03:43:08 pm »

Trains, planes... I dare say that in the 19th century the broadsheets might mention people being mown down by the London-Manchester coach.

You could blame not only the coach but also the horse

Dublin Evening Packet and Correspondent - Saturday 15 September 1838
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11829 on: 14 February, 2020, 04:11:52 pm »
I don't think we're in danger of Skynet becoming slef-aware anytime soon, my expenses app just interpreted a receipt from BA as being from Ui Yuul Neyhills for £10.

Makes it look like I'm going to see a spoon-bending medium on company time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #11830 on: 14 February, 2020, 04:35:21 pm »
True, but there are instances of drivers being incapacitated for one reason or another, making their subsequent actions involuntary. Despite what the courts might decide, I'm unconvinced of accidental stabbings.

They're still driving though. Saying someone drove a car into a house, doesn't imply intent, just that they were driving at the time. It's a mere statement of action. The one thing we do know is that a car didn't drive itself into the house, which this ongoing torture of language implies.

In a recent sad case near me, a car not only ran over and killed someone but then the car also left the scene.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #11831 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:37:04 am »

They're still driving though. Saying someone drove a car into a house, doesn't imply intent, just that they were driving at the time. It's a mere statement of action. The one thing we do know is that a car didn't drive itself into the house, which this ongoing torture of language implies.

In a recent sad case near me, a car not only ran over and killed someone but then the car also left the scene.
Yes, the car leaves the scene then the poor motorist is prosecuted for being taken away and helpless to stop it.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #11832 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:11:02 am »
That journal article looks like it could be intersting, yes, I don't mind reviewing it. [Opens PDF] Oh no, what have I done? Goodbye morning...

I am increasingly just saying no to reviewing. If it is interesting it will appear and if not I have not wasted my life.
Also why are reviewers not paid when the journals make a profit?

« Reply #11833 on: 19 February, 2020, 02:53:12 pm »
My journey from Cardiff to north Wales yesterday took 7 hours. This is only a grumble not a rant because I travelled (home, so I did sort of need to) knowing there was serious disruption on the north-south Wales line (i.e. the line was completely closed, being underwater). However, a detour via Birmingham should have only added 45 minutes* making it a 5 hour journey rather than 4 and a bit. Unfortunately the Cardiff-Birmingham train getting stuck in Gloucester for 30 minutes meant that I missed a fairly critical connection. Fortunately, a couple of coincidentally slightly delayed alternative trains and 3 separate station sprints to make connections meant I got home at midnight (7 hours) rather than 1.30am.

My secondary grumble is that I meant to buy food for the train, but the queue was too long, so I left it, believing that I'd have time to grab something in Birmingham. I didn't, and none of the trains (or the bus replacement) had food. Also, are the station staff in Birmingham specially trained to be unhelpful?

* It says something about the shitness of the Welsh line when a detour of that size only adds 45 mins

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11834 on: 19 February, 2020, 04:16:22 pm »
It's a well known grumble that, even when all lines are open, a train trip between north and South Wales involves travelling via England.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11835 on: 19 February, 2020, 04:27:40 pm »
Also, are the station staff in Birmingham specially trained to be unhelpful?

I think the dieseasel fumes in Mordor Central rot their branez.  Suspect they also stunt their growth, as the platform staff required to let you into the bike space on a Pendolino are always shorter than the rest of the crowd.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11836 on: 22 February, 2020, 11:55:31 am »
damn you death! why did you take the little very quiet deaf old lady next door, been bliss for the last 7 years, not word, sound or bang in that time. The new neighbors have decided to do up the house themselves ... so no more sleep ins on the weekend for a while, why didn't they get builders who only work mon-fri, I sooooo hope they don't have screaming kids or have a barking dog ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11837 on: 22 February, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »
Builders doing next door's extension work Mon-Sat 08.00 - 18.00.
They've lived there since before I moved here 20 years ago.

On the other side, building is erratic but often takes place at weekends.

« Reply #11838 on: 23 February, 2020, 12:35:14 pm »
Our neighbour had someone over to repair his bike. This didn't seem to be too involved - done on their drive with a multitool as far as I could see. The grumble - bike repair guy parked on our drive, without so much as a knock to ask until 20 minutes later, when I did some passagg putting stuff on the drive to do the cleaning in the hall.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11839 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:31:44 pm »
Bloody hell.  Reading is a very noisy place.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #11840 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:13:21 am »
Like my Brompton. After last week's soaking, she now has an agonised squeak. Poor thing. I took the expedient of squirting oil on the chain, but it's still there.

Of course, it only squeaks when I'm riding it, the moment I get off and push it it goes away, which makes diagnosis fraught. I think it comes from the back end, as foul noises often do. Does seem to need me peddling and is related to speed. Faster is more squeaks. More of a plasticy squeal than a throaty metallic grind, if you ask me. Wheels spin freely and soundlessly, the brake blocks are keeping a sensible distance.

I may have to go and buy more oil and commence a tribological battle of wits.

fuzzy

« Reply #11841 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:22:38 am »
Could be related to the rear section pivot? This would likely only squeak under load and in relation to you movement which would make the squeak more frequent when pedalling faster as your cadence is quicker.

ian

« Reply #11842 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:47:39 am »
It may be, like I say, it does sound non-metallic, but I generally don't know what I'm talking about. Squeaks shall meet oil and a mighty battle will commence. And it's quite embarrassingly loud, as I discovered on the hill to the station this morning. I felt like apologizing for the evident abuse I was subjecting her to.

It did start last week, on my last commute home of the week, which has been wet, wet, and more wet. I thought given a weekend in the garage that it might fix itself.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11843 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:51:41 am »
Typically the shaft/ bolt through the suspension block itself.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11844 on: 25 February, 2020, 01:01:43 pm »
..answer phones messages permanently on 'sorry but we're experiencing higher than normal call volumes'...  ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11845 on: 25 February, 2020, 02:04:24 pm »
Typically the shaft/ bolt through the suspension block itself.

...was what I was thinking, having developed just such a squeak in similar circumstances, and rectified it with a smear of grease.

ian

« Reply #11846 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:21:56 pm »
Hmm. Definitely coming out of the suspension thing as she squeaked when I bounced up and down on her. Oil didn't cure her. So I got a fat person to sit on her, so I could fudge some grease into the middle of the thingummy. You're just asking me to do this because I'm fat, he says. Yes, says I, I am. Podge has its uses.

Let's see if she's quieter tomorrow. Or the indignities will continue.

« Reply #11847 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
Why is everything on Amazon suddenly “unisex”? As in, unisex bike rack. Unisex garden compost.

Wankers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11848 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:05:02 pm »
Why is everything on Amazon suddenly “unisex”? As in, unisex bike rack. Unisex garden compost.

Unisex SEO.

fuzzy

« Reply #11849 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:14:27 pm »

Wankers.
I'll have to get me some of that compost. I can then advise Mrs Fuzzy that she is qualified to lug it round the garden as well.