Author Topic: Discouraging garden foxes  (Read 5747 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Discouraging garden foxes
« on: 10 August, 2009, 11:46:32 am »
It would appear that we have a problem with a couple of Vulpes vulpes who've taken up residence in the scrub behind our garden shed.  I want to know what can be done to discourage them from living there.

Right at the back of our garden, the shape of our plot goes to a point rather than a line.  We've got a shed down there, so there's an almost inaccessible triangle of weeds and tree stumps where nobody ever goes.  According to our neighbours, there's a fox-hole down there.

Half of me says, "so what?".  The poor little buggers have got to live somewhere.  The problem is that they seem to use our garden as the local dogging site and some nights you can't sleep for the noise of shagging foxes.  Added to this, we woke up on Sunday morning to see a very old, very knackered looking fox asleep in the middle of the garden.  I thought it was dead, but when we opened the door, he limped off with a broken leg.  Maybe he'd been half rogered to death.

The cat's clearly none too chuffed at being bullied out of his own garden by a bunch of randy, mangy carrion-eaters.  I suppose we ought to do something to try and get rid of them, but short of acquiring a rifle and taking pot shots through the window, what can be done in the way of non-lethal remedies?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Discouraging garden foxes
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:49:36 am »
You'll need some hounds then.  Where's Rapples when we need him?

rae

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:50:24 am »
Throwing axe?  

Clear the cover and make it very hostile for them - they'll leave of their own accord.   Shooting stuff in Richmond is a bit of a no no.   On second thoughts, how about a crossbow?

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:52:48 am »
Toughen up the cat.

When we lived in Leeds our tiny little female cat was as hard as nails and used to chase the foxes out of the garden.

When we moved to Berkshire the local southern softy cats just didn't know what hit them - she carved out a decent territory in about 3 days of bloodletting and defended it until she was quite elderly.

spindrift

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:55:40 am »
My London cat was killed by a fox.

His brother is rock hard and beats them up.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:56:41 am »
Throwing axe?  

Clear the cover and make it very hostile for them - they'll leave of their own accord.   Shooting stuff in Richmond is a bit of a no no.   On second thoughts, how about a crossbow?

We live in Ealing, Queen of the Suburbs, dahling  :D

Although I expect that a .22 hunting pellet could probably take a fox at 15 yards, shooting stuff with anything is bad news.  Besides, hunting with bows is illegal.

No, I'm more on about evil chemicals, lion wee or that sort of thing.  Does anything work?

We can't clear the area that they're living in, 'cos it's fenced in by the shed.

Mal - Montezuma is a pussy.  In both senses...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:58:00 am »
Male urine is said to be a good fox repellent.

I often have a pee at the bottom of our garden near the chicken enclosure.
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:58:17 am »
First, you need a nice red coat... ;)
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »
Thus is born the Ealing Hunt.  :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »
(Male) human urine is said to be a good fox repellent.

I was taught that too. 

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »
Time for a piss-in rather than the usual piss-up then...

Of course, a piss-up first would help things along.  ;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »
You couldn't take an adult fox with an air rifle, you could do it with .22 rimfire though, which is what a pest controller could do if you payed for one.

Non lethal - maybe some lion droppings from the zoo?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »
Oh gods.  So I need to find a chap who's willing to go and piss in the bottom of our garden?

Sounds like we need to invite Hummers over for a liquid lunch...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »
Oh gods.  So I need to find a chap who's willing to go and piss in the bottom of our garden?

I'm sure Wow would oblige...  ;)

Or you could invite Woolly over.  If he's in the kilt, all he has to do is lift the front edge.   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:41:28 pm »
Oh gods.  So I need to find a chap who's willing to go and piss in the bottom of our garden?

If you'd rather an alternative, we found that when my mother regularly fed the three vixens in her garden (each with a litter of cutely fubsy cubs), her garden was considered to be a "restaurant" and not a "lavatory" of the fox world.

Of course, after Christmas, the foxes became discerning little gits, and after a while if the scraps weren't roast chicken/turkey bits or coffee cremes, they would urinate on the bowl to express their displeasure  ::-) so you might find this an expensive way of moderating fox behaviour.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:42:28 pm »
In the past we have had foxes breeding under an old shed in a nearby garden. Since the introduction of the new refuse scheme with robust plastic food recycling bins etc I can't recall seeing or hearing a fox !
Unless you put a .22 pellet (or arrow) through the target's head you will probably just injure it. Death may well ensue slowly because of the wound or as the creature becomes an easier target for predators ...... I imagine.

Snake

Cycling Items

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Zoidburg

« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »
In the past we have had foxes breeding under an old shed in a nearby garden. Since the introduction of the new refuse scheme with robust plastic food recycling bins etc I can't recall seeing or hearing a fox !
Unless you put a .22 pellet (or arrow) through the target's head you will probably just injure it. Death may well ensue slowly because of the wound or as the creature becomes an easier target for predators ...... I imagine.

Snake

Cycling Items

No an arrow would do the job, aim for the ribs just behind the front leg - hunters call it the lung shot as it goes through both lungs and the heart at the same time.

Not very legal though...

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
My boss has a lovely lawn that he has been known to trim with scissors. In order to keep it lovely to start with, he bought a ?ultra sonic? fox scarer. It seems to have done the trick :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »
Someone on here suggested one of these in the past.  Of course, you'd possible have to turn it off when Montezuma was around, or he could get a bit peeved!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:49:20 pm »
My boss has a lovely lawn that he has been known to trim with scissors. In order to keep it lovely to start with, he bought a ?ultra sonic? fox scarer. It seems to have done the trick :).

Ultrasonic is Right Out, on account of how it would upset the cat (and the neighbours' chickens, and the other neighbours' guinea pigs, etc etc).

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »
Move to the country. The foxes have all become urban.

Find, beg, steal old paving slabs, broken or otherwise, and lay a hard surface.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:56:32 pm »

Oh well, as you asked so nicely.

« Reply #22 on: 10 August, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
Make your garden "busy"

A friend of mine had a similar problem, so he set about creating lots of fox off-putting stuff.

He got a bunch of those hand held windmilly type things - the ones you get at the seaside and planted them around his garden. Pleasant enough to look at when you're in the garden yourself and not intrusive to the neighbours either. In the breeze of an evening the foxes didn't like them as they span around.

He also set up (I have no idea how) some kind of timed sprinkler to water his veg. Random water spewing all over the place unsettled the foxies. Again, pretty silent and unobtrusive to neighbours and good for the beans too!

I guess your foxes like where they currently live as they're fairly undisturbed. Change that and they'll be off.

The other alternative is to get a harder cat  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #23 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:08:08 am »

Ultrasonic is Right Out, on account of how it would upset the cat (and the neighbours' chickens, and the other neighbours' guinea pigs, etc etc).

Send the cat on holiday for a bit. I don't think the thing is strong enough to affect the neighbours. You only need it for a while so that the foxes get the hump and find somewhere else :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Rapples

« Reply #24 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
List that end of your garden on http://www.doggingcentral.co.uk/

Give the foxes a dose of their own medicine, they'll soon bugger off.

I don't think they're shagging just yet, but if you want to mess around with their earth  probably wait until November ;)

Year of the fox from January to December