Author Topic: Sun blocker  (Read 3335 times)

Sun blocker
« on: 13 April, 2008, 06:26:44 pm »
Seventy years on this planet has seen the skin on top of my bald head become more and more frail and thin.

I have used in the past www.p20.com but the sun now seems to be able to penetrate this screen in one or two favourite spots.Perhaps the drying effect of the alcohol in the mixture. Suppose i could try the full range..pre sun,during sun,after sun.Ah well thats the pension increase gone.I wondered what to spend the £1.50 a week on.

I have cotton cycling caps from Prendas but hate wearing them as i sweat as soon as my head is covered in sunshine.Oil or waterbased sun screens just end up on my glasses.

Has science recently thought of any other ideas to help my poor old bonce?
Any fellow sufferers able to offer their remedies.
N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Sun blocker
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
Being a bald git myself, this is a problem to which I can relate.
My current solution, as it were, is Boots (or thereabouts) factor 35. It's very absorbent of the death rays, so you only need to use a weeny bit - I don't have any problems with it getting washed into my eyes whenever I try slightly really put the hammer down. Cotton hats are the answer really, although I do like to feel the wind in my willows.
I believe some people produce "non-runny" sun cream for sportspersons, but I have no experience of these products.

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2008, 09:46:43 pm »
On last years trip to India we were riding at high altitude all the time.  Various high SPF creams were used and no one got burnt.

I was using the Australian Banana Boat stuff (SPF30 ?) and others were using chemists own label. Both seemed to work,  the stuff marketed for children seemed pretty good.

I sport a No.1 haircut and managed to get faint helmet pattern tanlines on my head despite the sunblock. No burning though.

The P20 is my normal stuff as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:01:40 pm »
Boot's did an own brand hypo-allergenic SPF50 which I use/used on holiday when swimming.  It worked well for me.  The rest of the time (ie all year round) I wear a hat  of some description, even when cycling. 

I _hate_ having to wear a hat.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 04:33:17 pm »
When cycling in Australia, I wore a white helmet. Not only did it stop the sun, it was cooler than riding helmetless.

(I don't wear one in the UK).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »
Buffs.

Wick sweat.

Block sun.

Make you look like a pirate  :thumbsup:.

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »
Buffs.

Wick sweat.

Block sun.

You have now reached the age where you have a legitimate reason to wear a bandana and look like a badass dude. Grasp the opportunity with both hands and embrace a truly classic look. Invest in truly evil wraparounds to finish it off.
As you work on your craggy scowl, relish the fact that this is a look that only the over 45s and under 10's can really pull off.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »
Buffs.

Wick sweat.

Block sun.

If you use a buff just make sure you still use the sunblock around the neck & face: you do not want an abrupt tan line across your forehead.   :hand:

Someone I, erm, know did the 'bandana round the forehead' thing during a hockey tournament one sunny summer Sunday  :-[
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »
And here's a cheery link for all us slapheads...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/7359212.stm
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου