Author Topic: Chinese Restaurant Suggestion ?  (Read 958 times)

ChrisO

Chinese Restaurant Suggestion ?
« on: 01 February, 2009, 03:16:44 pm »
Son No.1 has conceived a passion for Chinese food lately, and prawns in particular.

This comes from being, like me a mainly vegetarian who sometimes eats seafood. On an away trip with his school swimming team they went to a £5 all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet in Sheffield at which Dominic discovered prawns and scoffed as many as possible. He now speaks glowingly of it as the height of culinary achievement.

As it is his 12th birthday (actually it was last week, and I'm away) I have promised he can go to any Chinese restaurant he likes as a treat. It will be just me and him.

The rest of the family are proper vegetarians and Chinese tends not to be good like that, which is why I don't think I have actually been to any Chinese restaurant in London so I have no ideas.

So, would anyone recommend somewhere Chinese and in particular somewhere that does good prawns please ?

The more spectacular the better - throwing them in the air and dissecting them with juggled knives before falling onto a barbecue heated by a human flame-thrower would be nice. That's more Japanese I guess.

Re: Chinese Restaurant Suggestion ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2009, 03:47:31 pm »
Benihana is the place to go for teppanyaki, the Japanese cooking at the table, flashing knives thing. Benihana

Can't think of any decent Chinese restaurants for vegetarian food. For some reason prawns are counted as vegetables in quite a lot of Chinese cooking.

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2009, 03:57:11 pm »
Doesn't have to be vegetarian. He'll want to order the prawns.

I think of fish as swimming vegetables anyway.

cometworm

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:09:18 pm »
Royal China has a few restaurants around London - while they're not "spectacular" in the juggling-chefs-and-flamey-stuff they have very good food and are quite nice in a nice kind of way. Depending on where you're coming from there will probably be one nearish to the train station.