Author Topic: RIP Mike Procter  (Read 404 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
RIP Mike Procter
« on: 17 February, 2024, 09:19:37 pm »
One of the great genuine all-rounders - a match winner with bat and ball, whose had the amazing achievement of taking a hat-trick of LBWs bowling around the wicket.  He was always worth watching when Gloucestershire turned up on the TV on the Sunday League
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: RIP Mike Procter
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2024, 09:42:23 pm »
I don't think many will know just how good he was because his career was blighted by the (imo correct) banning of South Africa from international cricket.  He had a Test bowling average of 15 (fifteen) and all against Australia, I think and a first class bowling average of 19.  That's better than Fred Trueman, I think.  I certainly didn't know that.  Even  Malcolm Marshall's average in tests was about 20. 

RIP.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: RIP Mike Procter
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2024, 09:43:55 pm »
Sad about that. A very fine all-rounder. And a very fine person.

Quote from: Mike Procter
But what is a Test career compared to the suffering of 40 million people? Lots of people lost a great deal more in those years, and if by missing out on a Test career we played a part in changing an unjust system, then that is fine by me.

I think I must have seen him play* - I watched a lot of cricket in the 1970s - but I can't remember a specific day or match. I think he found Essex a particularly fertile place to demonstrate his prodigious skills. I think he took 2 hat-tricks against the Essex team.

*Edit: almost certainly this one as Southchurch Park is only about a 5 minute walk from where I was teaching at the time and I always went to the ground for the final session when Essex were playing there. I see he took 7-45 in the Essex second innings, including Ken McEwan and Graham Gooch for lbw ducks.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.