Author Topic: Eurotunnel or ferry?  (Read 12056 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Eurotunnel or ferry?
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2011, 12:34:12 pm »
Did you never take a girl to an empty cinema Bobb? I can imagine being afloat would only add to the experience ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #26 on: 22 February, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »
The tunnel is far better. But if you have a long drive either side it can work against you, because you don't get much of a break.

« Reply #27 on: 22 February, 2011, 01:55:01 pm »
Exactly. Hence why I like Hull - Zeebruge on the ferry. 30 minute drive to ferry, a nice night sleep then dropped on the continent rested and ready to go at 8:00am. Even better on the way home as a 300 mile drive M20, M25. M11 A1 is not a good way to end your holiday.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #28 on: 22 February, 2011, 02:49:05 pm »
Does the tunnel charge extra for bikes on top of the car?  When I had  a quick look at the booking form it seemed not to make a difference to the price whether I selected car with roofbox/bikes or not... but I could have been being daft! 
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Rapples

« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »
Not as far as I know, I've only used a rack, but fitted under the height restriction, so fitted i the double decker carriages.  I suppose if you put on top they put you in with the lorries and coaches, but I'm not sure.

« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »
Does the tunnel charge extra for bikes on top of the car?  When I had  a quick look at the booking form it seemed not to make a difference to the price whether I selected car with roofbox/bikes or not... but I could have been being daft!  

The Chunnel is for cyclists too:

Each Eurotunnel Shuttle can carry six cyclists. The bicycles are carried on a specially adapted trailer and the cyclists travel in a minibus. To book a bicycle crossing, telephone the sales support department, weekdays, from 9 a.m. to 5:30p.m. on +44 (0)1303 282201.

Cycles on a roof rack

Some carriages on the Shuttle are double deckers and some are single. If you are carrying bicycles on the roof of a car that make the car more than 1.85 meters tall (about 5.15 feet)*, tell the agent when you book your travel so that you can be assigned to an appropriate carriage.

No mention of additional charges. But that of course doesn't mean there aren't any.....

* 1.85 metres is obviously about 6'1" not "5.15 feet" But even if you drive a GT40 a bike on the roof is still going to take it over that, so you're gunna have to mix it with other high vehicles....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #31 on: 22 February, 2011, 03:02:08 pm »
Thanks!

I went off and did a bit of digging - it wasn't hard to find in the end - and the Eurotunnel site is quite clear on the subject:-

High vehicles, utility vehicles or campervans

We allocate space in the single deck carriage for cars higher than 1.85 metres and coaches and caravans. The carriages are twice as high as the double deck carriages so there is ample room.

There is no extra charge so feel free to bring bicycles, roof boxes etc. Just inform us when booking. Please note, the max weight laden for a van on our Passenger service is 3.5 tonnes. Book now- it couldn’t be easier.

I should've looked there first, but in any case, you get more a personal service on yacf. :)

EDIT: linky for future reference
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2011, 10:08:39 pm »
Thanks all.  I think we may well give the tunnel a go.  Will have a roofbox, so will have to measure up and see how tall we'll be.

Last time we:
Fri pm - (near) Oxford to Dover with nightmare journey on M25.  Premier Inn O/N (didn't sleep too well).
Sat am. early ferry (P&O), but was delayed.  Calais (8.30am) to Chamonix (7.30pm-ish).  Had quite a few stops.
I prefer to do the Dover to Chamonix jouney in one go really; OX to Chamonix is just too much IMO.

Prolly still do the Dover Premier Inn thing - saves 2.5hrs ish even when M25 is without any problems.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2011, 10:41:27 pm »

Because some people find it more fun than sitting in a car in a gloomy railway carriage!

I love ferries. They're cool. Especially long overnight crossings where you get a cosy cabin  :)
What, is our first date going to be a trip on the Rosyth ferry?  :o
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #34 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:02:26 pm »
Nah - something more classy than that. Tilbury to Gravesend.

We'll have to be quick though!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

border-rider

« Reply #35 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:05:34 pm »
Does the tunnel charge extra for bikes on top of the car?  When I had  a quick look at the booking form it seemed not to make a difference to the price whether I selected car with roofbox/bikes or not... but I could have been being daft! 

No

we once took a pirate ship on a trailer to Maastricht; they have special double-height carriages for high loads.

Customs, on the other hand, were *very* interested

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #36 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:09:43 pm »
Nah - something more classy than that. Tilbury to Gravesend.

We'll have to be quick though!

*googles*

:-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #37 on: 23 February, 2011, 08:51:23 am »
A more relaxed  version if you can take Friday off work would be:

Friday AM Oxford to Dover

Ferry

100 - 200 miles in France then stop at a hotel in France for the night. If you can hack it then make the stop South of Paris then you have got all the bad bits over with on day 1.

Saturday - shorter drive to Chamonix

RainOrShine

« Reply #38 on: 23 February, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »
When we went to Annecy (not far from Chamonix) we had an overnight in Dijon.  Nice city.  Came home with a jar of mustard, of course :)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #39 on: 23 February, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »
I would do it this way:

drive friday evening to Portsmouth (no M25),
take the 11pm ferry to caen, sleep in ferry.
Drive from Caen to Chamonix which is shorter and probably a bit cheaper:

Mappy - Mappy - plans, itinéraires, guide d'adresses en Europe[y]=45.9253&endPos
  • =6.869781&ipo=1&lm=r&p=itinerary

You would probably be in Chamonix by 6pm allowing for a longer stop to have lunch. The ferry is more expensive but once you factor in the hotel and the reduced mileage, it is probably a lot cheaper.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #40 on: 23 February, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
Thanks all.   :)

Set off early on Fri may be a plan.  Last time we stayed in the Novotel at Troyes 'Airfield' on the way back.  But perhaps we could stay there on the way out - it's about 3.5hrs from Calais.  Prolly prefer to stay there than Dover premier inn, and it's cheaper at ~£75 for a family room currently.

edit... the only thing is the potential stress of getting stuck on M25 (even before lunch on fri) and being late for ferry/eurotunnel.

Caen to Chamonix route seems to go through paris - takes longer?  IME from a cycling trip to Brittany, I found it almost impossible to sleep on the ferry, P'mth-StMalo.

« Reply #41 on: 23 February, 2011, 05:56:14 pm »
I've stayed at the Novotel Troyes airport before its quite nice. Note to anyone who hasn't been their it isn't exactly Heathrow just a small local field with mainly private light aircraft.

I wouldn't worry about Paris. You dont have to go through it its faster to go round it on the motorways. Don't follow a satnav get your passenger to navigate you round the outer motorways using a proper map instead. Satnav takes you round the inner ring road which is a bit of a mare. Note that the Paris ring road motorways arent like the M25 where if you stay on it you go all the way round instead they are a series of tangential motorways so to keep going round to the other side you need to keep turning off.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #42 on: 23 February, 2011, 05:59:17 pm »
Caen to Chamonix route seems to go through paris - takes longer?  IME from a cycling trip to Brittany, I found it almost impossible to sleep on the ferry, P'mth-StMalo.

I sleep very well in a cabin but I suppose some people don't!

I think that you can avoid the "boulevard périphérique" eitheir with the A86 or the Francilienne that go round Paris.

edit: cross post with pcolbeck
Chief cat entertainer.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #43 on: 23 February, 2011, 07:31:53 pm »
I like Panaromix's choice. I have taken the Caen ferry many times, day and night, it's a nice, clean ferry and mostly free of great unwashed ;)

Has a great restaurant too.

« Reply #44 on: 23 February, 2011, 08:15:00 pm »
Going OX-P'mth-Caen does appeal, but unfortunately a Brittany F. single O/N journey with family cabin = £389, or reclining seats instead is £310. 

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 23 February, 2011, 08:29:51 pm »

Because some people find it more fun than sitting in a car in a gloomy railway carriage!

I love ferries. They're cool. Especially long overnight crossings where you get a cosy cabin  :)
What, is our first date going to be a trip on the Rosyth ferry?  :o

No passengers on the Rosyth ferry anymore, only freight :(

We're probably going to end up staying at Troyes or thereabouts on our way down to Bourg D'Oisans, but then we will also have spent the previous day driving from Aberdeen to Hull to get the ferry to Zeebrugge, so I figured another stop would be good.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #46 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »
Don't fancy a drive down to Hull.  Wonder if i can (export / import two bikes to Europe) and the other halve can fly to Beauvais on a cheap flight( no luggage will please mr Ryan ).  The van has a use after all , Zeebrugge is hassle free and once you are on the E 17  its  fine. Can get down to  Beaune before dusk if off at lunchtime.

ruggtomcat

« Reply #47 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:56:19 am »
Err, this might be an odd question, but what about if you are on a bike?

ruggtomcat

« Reply #48 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:57:15 am »
oh, this is OT knowledge, soz...

« Reply #49 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:29:35 am »
If your going on the Hull ferry make sure you catch the act in the bar on an evening. It's usually spectacularly bad.

Also take a packup for tea as the meals are overpriced and rubbish. Breakfast is worth it though as not too expensive and sets you up for a days drive without having to spend loads at service stations.