Author Topic: Weather forecast  (Read 2517 times)

Weather forecast
« on: 15 August, 2023, 07:10:34 am »
I don't normally pay much attention to forecasts this far out, but I had a glance last night - and got a bit of a surprise.  If 2007 was the wet one, it looks like this year could be the hot one.  I'm getting 30 degrees for my start time on Sunday, then temperatures up to the mid-30s on Monday / Tuesday.   

Drink lots! And use something to replace electrolytes.  When it's above 30 I put a small pinch of rehydration salts in each bottle, although there are lots of products available for the purpose, and eating Proper Food when you can is obviously the best source. 

Otherwise I can picture Asian riders nodding sagely to themselves as they pass another dehydrated Brit lying prone at the roadside and saying to themselves: 'they're not used to riding in this summer weather!'

Re: Weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2023, 07:26:11 am »
'they're not used to riding in this summer weather!'

to which another would reply,

'unless they did the Flatlands 600 of course'

:)
Garry Broad

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2023, 07:57:41 am »
Should that be " if they rode LEL 22"

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2023, 11:27:47 am »
The weather has always predicted it was going to be hot, but I have been watching the "Rain" side of things and it looked very wet, so spent yesterday fitting mudguards, wrapping clothes, spare batteries etc in plastic bags just in case.

But, remembering 2019, when it got very cold on a night, I'm taking a base layer top just in case, but now, I may take it out as it looks a bit hot on a night so may take it out as not needed along with long fingered gloves.

But now when I check the weather, just hot and barely any mention of rain.

So, Saturdays plans will be check the weather last minute and see what to do. And then a final check on the Sunday morning.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2023, 11:41:40 am »
I'll take my extra layers to France and make a final decision on Sunday morning about whether to bring them on the ride. If the forecast holds I may change my strategy to rest/ sleep during the afternoons and ride more at night.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2023, 03:49:08 pm »
'they're not used to riding in this summer weather!'

to which another would reply,

'unless they did the Flatlands 600 of course'

:)

or LEL 2022, high 30s on the final day.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2023, 03:50:40 pm »
The weather has always predicted it was going to be hot, but I have been watching the "Rain" side of things and it looked very wet, so spent yesterday fitting mudguards, wrapping clothes, spare batteries etc in plastic bags just in case.

But, remembering 2019, when it got very cold on a night, I'm taking a base layer top just in case, but now, I may take it out as it looks a bit hot on a night so may take it out as not needed along with long fingered gloves.

But now when I check the weather, just hot and barely any mention of rain.

So, Saturdays plans will be check the weather last minute and see what to do. And then a final check on the Sunday morning.
last time I look at a forecast with an overnight min of 14C, turned out to be 4C at some points. So I would be hesitant to leave behind too much.

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:45:14 pm »
Meteo has it hitting 37C (shade) in Rambouillet on Monday, expect on the road in the direct sun to be closer to mid 40s.

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2023, 05:03:00 pm »
Meteo has it hitting 37C (shade) in Rambouillet on Monday, expect on the road in the direct sun to be closer to mid 40s.

Temperature figures are always for the air. Shade / not shade will be the same, as air doesn’t absorb sunlight directly. Yes Garmins report silly numbers if left in the sun.

(Also it only says 33 for me)

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2023, 05:58:04 pm »

Temperature figures are always for the air. Shade / not shade will be the same, as air doesn’t absorb sunlight directly. Yes Garmins report silly numbers if left in the sun.

(Also it only says 33 for me)

The shade makes us feel cooler because it is blocking the sun’s radiation. Solar radiation can heat up the air 10 to 15 degrees higher.  We all know how much hotter we are in direct sunlight compared to shade. Exercising under cloud cover vs. clear skies is vastly different in terms of how hot you get, even if weather forecast temp is same. You are also getting reflected radiation off the tarmac in direct sunlight.

Anyone who has gone from a nice shady spot to direct sunlight will notice an instance change in the warmth of the air hitting you.

felstedrider

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2023, 06:08:45 pm »
However….Meteo has Carhaix topping out at 26 on Monday. 

Hanging around in Rambouillet with the starting system is probably Ok.  My recollection is that there was plenty of shade if needed.  I remember cooking for a couple of hours standing around in the Gymnase in 2011 which was deeply unpleasant.

I’d beware the overnight forecasts.  It’s often a lot colder on the Western fringes of the route.  I recall 2 very cold and foggy climbs of the Roc in 2011 and 2015.

« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2023, 06:58:05 pm »
I have similar memories, with pre-start exposed heat in 2011 and wide temperature ranges then and 2015. 

The forecast will bounce around a bit but, unless it changes markedly, it looks like it will be far hotter than either of those, when I think I remember hearing the maximum was around 28. And, as they say, it's not the average temperature that gets you, it's the extremes, so cooler weather towards the coast won't make the inland bit any easier. I've not done a hot UK audax since the Buckingham Blinder at Easter 2011, but I recall quite a few reports of people struggling this year in temperatures around 28-30.

I don't mind the heat too much. I've ridden in 40+ and full sun in the Balkans and Australia and have learned how to cope with it, but I find it pretty unpleasant when it's above body temperature. My main concern is my stoker, who I think will struggle to drink enough to avoid dehydration if it gets as hot as it appears. And if he does have problems, I expect he won't be the only one!

With any luck it might settle down and not get above the early 30s, in which case it will be very pleasant!  But I've added rehydration salts to my kit list!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:24:05 pm »
.  I recall 2 very cold and foggy climbs of the Roc in 2011 and 2015.
Luxury, I had a cold and foggy descent in 2019, arriving at the bridge just before sunrise.

felstedrider

« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2023, 10:34:25 pm »
.  I recall 2 very cold and foggy climbs of the Roc in 2011 and 2015.
Luxury, I had a cold and foggy descent in 2019, arriving at the bridge just before sunrise.

In 2019 I was fast enough to reach Brest at dusk and not leave until just before dawn.  It won’t be happening this time.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2023, 10:11:25 am »
I have similar memories, with pre-start exposed heat in 2011 and wide temperature ranges then and 2015. 

Yes, waiting for 1-2 hours at the start in the direct afternoon sun those years was not a wise choice. It meant the initial fast pacelines were punctuated by desperate efforts to get bottles refilled.
We learned from this and in 2015 had several small single use (soz) water bottles in back pockets to drink before the start / during the first stage. I'm in the 84h group this time so won't have the same issue standing around in the sun, but suggest this for anyone starting Sunday night - especially if you're inclined to turn up early and watch some of the grand depart.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2023, 12:33:56 pm »

Yes, waiting for 1-2 hours at the start in the direct afternoon sun those years was not a wise choice. I meant the initial fast pacelines were punctuated by desperate efforts to get bottles refilled.
We learned from this and in 2015 had several small single use (soz) water bottles in back pockets to drink before the start / during the first stage. I'm in the 84h group this time so won't have the same issue standing around in the sun, but suggest this for anyone starting Sunday night - especially if you're inclined to turn up early and watch some of the grand depart.

+1
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:13:43 pm »
Yes Garmins report silly numbers if left in the sun.

Silly, but still useful, on account of the rider being left in the sun, too.  If the bike computer's reading something in the 30s, you're going to be having a hard time of it, whatever the air temperature.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:39:30 pm »
Yes Garmins report silly numbers if left in the sun.

Silly, but still useful, on account of the rider being left in the sun, too.  If the bike computer's reading something in the 30s, you're going to be having a hard time of it, whatever the air temperature.
if you aren't moving, keep moving and the windchill will help.

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:58:14 pm »
if you aren't moving, keep moving and the windchill will help.

That's what I found on LEL last year. It was hot, but it wasn't _too_ hot when moving with the wind chill. It's when you came to a stop at traffic lights or a control then the heat would suddenly hit you.