Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624695 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1900 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:39:02 am »
Shiny paper.  >:(

I'm making an effort to use fountain pens rather than ball points, but 'people' are thwarting my efforts, creating things like customer (sic!) feedback forms on shiny paper. *sigh*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1901 on: 31 May, 2012, 08:58:45 pm »
FirstBorn's other class teacher:  your response to pupils talking quietly to each other during a "group task" about the task they're doing is to dole out red spot?  WTF?

« Reply #1902 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »
I think there's a Cycle magazine somewhere among all this bumf

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1903 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »
FirstBorn's other class teacher:  your response to pupils talking quietly to each other during a "group task" about the task they're doing is to dole out red spot?  WTF?

Is that one of the drugs that Chris Morris warned us about?

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #1904 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

Caaake?
 ;)

« Reply #1905 on: 01 June, 2012, 08:23:10 am »
Argh. The guy at the restaurant attached my hotel is setting up a website, almost certainly prompted by the recently-launched by the hotel itself. 

The hotel's website, however, was set up by an American who knew what she was doing. 

Sonny does not. So he asked me for help. After arguing with his internet connection and explaining that he couldn't edit his website from the public page, we started to get into it. 

I know nowt about website design and I'm not flash on computers, but I'm a fucking wizard compared to this poor sod. I did what I could, but if anyone's ever setting up a website, don't use sitew.com and certainly don't try to edit your site on a tiny netbook. The screen resolution was insufficient, so I couldn't access most of the tools to upload photos, edit text, or do anything, really. The interface was one of the fiddliest I've ever encountered, worse even than the monstrosities provided by government departments, and even simple changes such as adding a link to home failed as it changed the entire layout and format of the site.

I wasn't too sure about a dark green background with red and white lettering myself, but I had enough to do just to correct the spelling and rAndom Capitalisations and    oddspacings, as well as removing the more blatant overlaps of what little content there was on the screen. I told him to have a think about what he wanted it to look like and what he wanted on there, and to edit it at a proper computer. I'm not providing a link. 

And I didn't even get a free coffee out of it :(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1906 on: 01 June, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »
Magpie, will you plz STFU for 10 mins?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1907 on: 01 June, 2012, 01:26:52 pm »

Caaake?
 ;)
;D  My typo  :-[  - not that correct typing would've made much difference.

("spots"/"dots" plural - supposedly a school disciplinary disincentive to misbehaviour; 1 red dot = loss of 5 minutes "golden time" on a Friday morning)

Would've been clearer thusly:
FirstBorn's other class teacher:  your response to pupils talking quietly to each other during a "group task" about the task they're doing is to dole out standard petty punishment?  WTF?

They're all getting caaake today, 'cos the school's 120 years old, or something ...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1908 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »
I'm having some problems with the headphones and microphone I use when I'm skyping with bobb - the sound keeps cutting out and I have to keep jiggling the lead to get it back, like when mp3 player earphones start to get past it. He asked me if I wanted to go to Mildenhall and three times I asked him when it was but couldn't hear the answer because the sound cut out.

I don't want to go anyway because of the camping, but the loss of sound is pissing me off, and my inability to hear him is pissing bobb off.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1909 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »
Can't you unplug the headphone plug and listen to mcbobb thru the speakers?

« Reply #1910 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »

I don't want to go anyway because of the camping, but the loss of sound is pissing me off, and my inability to hear him is pissing bobb off.  >:(

What's wrong with camping?  ??? ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1911 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »
Then he complains that I'm typing too loudly.

I don't like it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1912 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:59:47 pm »
If you can live with it for a week or so I can get you a spare and stick it in the post if that'd help?  Headset, not nonn, obv. 

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1913 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:02:51 pm »
I'm having some problems with the headphones and microphone I use when I'm skyping with bobb - the sound keeps cutting out and I have to keep jiggling the lead to get it back, like when mp3 player earphones start to get past it. He asked me if I wanted to go to Mildenhall and three times I asked him when it was but couldn't hear the answer because the sound cut out.

Are you sure that Bobb isn't just pretending that the sound is cutting out so that he can watch you "jiggling"? :demon:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1914 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »
Or you could use a keyboard, like normal people. :P

ETA: Sorry.  Just remembered that you don't have a brilliant track record with those, either.   ;D

Seriously, this telephony thing, it'll never catch on.

I believe it's possible to attend Mildenhall without camping, given sufficient funds and organisation.  Or a bicycle-towed bungalow, if you're Regulator.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1915 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »
I have a box of spare headsets with mics going to the bin (aka being given away to anyone I can find) at work (we've got 10x more than we need cos I deprecated 7 yr old copies of Dragon), PM me an address and I'll send you one next week if you like.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1916 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:14:37 pm »
I meant leave the mic lead plugged in and just remove the headphone lead, but that presupposes you have 2 seperate plugs and not some high falutin usb doohickey

« Reply #1917 on: 08 June, 2012, 10:28:38 am »
Then he complains that I'm typing too loudly.

I don't like it.

We could lend you a fab down mat to make it more comfortable? And you'd get to see all of us! :D And share my (early this year) birthday pancakes 8). Anyway it's August Bank Holiday weekend and you should definitely come :thumbsup: I'm sure Bobb won't give you time to remember that you don't like camping.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1918 on: 08 June, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
This:

Guess who's last day before a fortnight off is next Friday  >:(

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1919 on: 08 June, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »
I've been such a nugget - my mom is visiting today. I completely forgot her birthday last Friday..... in spite of speaking to her on the phone twice this week. ooooooh so bad.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1920 on: 08 June, 2012, 04:12:30 pm »
We could lend you a fab down mat to make it more comfortable? And you'd get to see all of us! :D And share my (early this year) birthday pancakes 8). Anyway it's August Bank Holiday weekend and you should definitely come :thumbsup: I'm sure Bobb won't give you time to remember that you don't like camping.
Thank you, but no. I don't like camping. I don't get the bank holidays (other than Christmas, New Year and Easter). I am on annual leave that week but I'll be doing Fringe stuff if I have the money. I don't mind if bobb goes without me though - I wouldn't want him to miss something he likes just because I hate it.  ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1921 on: 09 June, 2012, 09:31:44 am »
I bought 2 tins of paint yesterday (BRG and gold) to paint the rat-bike fixie (which is currently sporting a fetching shade of paint commonly known as grey primer).  Bought them from Wilkos as the price was ok and it was handy.

Went outside this morning to start the painting and the tin of BRG is completely dried up :(  A trip back to Wilkos then.  I suppose it's not too much of a trauma to do so as I need to go into town anyway to see if I can get the PSU for the Popcornhour sorted (found out last night that it is a common problem with the PSU that 4 caps go west).  The guy who I would normally ask (FiL's neighbour) who is an ex TV engineer gave all his gear away last year so he can't do it for me :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1922 on: 09 June, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »
Dearest junior #2:

When bringing your bike with a puncture to be repaired, please not to have ridden through every dog shit in the neghbourhood in knobbly tyres.

Thx.

Chris S

« Reply #1923 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:10:51 pm »
Dearest junior #2:

When bringing your bike with a puncture to be repaired, please not to have ridden through every dog shit in the neghbourhood in knobbly tyres.

Thx.

Ah. That magic moment.

"It's time you learned to fix your own punctures lad..."

fuzzy

« Reply #1924 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:48:05 am »
Youth of Today ::-)

I took No.2 Sons car to the fettlers today to have the scuffs (pre purchase) taken out of the back bumper.

On telling the Pretty Young Thing working reception that no, I didn't need a courtesy car to get to Maidenhead, I wouuld walk it, she looked at me in amazement and said how brave I was.

25 minutes walk in the open air is a challenge to her. I bet 5 hours shopping at Westfields or it's ilk would be no problem.

I could have misunderstood however. Perhaps it was the prospect of taking her foundation covered face into the weather that made the prospect seem dangerous.