Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624187 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1925 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:09:06 pm »
It's likely that she has no idea of walking distances or times because she always drives. I was once shocked to discover that one of my neighbours had no idea where anything in & around Reading was: all she knew of spatial relationships was driving routes & times. I've since found that this is common.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #1926 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
Receptionist at my preferred garage:
When I phoned up on Thursday, or was it Friday, to say I can't make the Monday appointment for my car's MOT, because I have ruptured my achillies tendon and can't drive, I would have hoped you would write it down, cancel my appointment, or inform the MOT tester.
I was not expecting the Tester to call me this morning wondering where I was. ::-)

At least he was understanding.

« Reply #1927 on: 11 June, 2012, 06:42:16 pm »
 ::-)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

simonp

« Reply #1928 on: 12 June, 2012, 03:00:32 pm »
Not another lurgy, is it?!

LindaG

« Reply #1929 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »
How does the window cleaner know when I've been on night duty? Every bloody time. Without fail. FFS.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1930 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »
It's likely that she has no idea of walking distances or times because she always drives. I was once shocked to discover that one of my neighbours had no idea where anything in & around Reading was: all she knew of spatial relationships was driving routes & times. I've since found that this is common.

Worse when your GPS-free taxi driver has no idea of local geography having been raised within 10 miles of origin and destination.
DAMHIKT.

« Reply #1931 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »
How not to build a team-part 93:
Put the managers in modern 3 star hotel and the grunts in 2 star dump that is 4 miles away.
Not impressed.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1932 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:42:32 pm »
Bah. Coffee on the sleeper is now rubbishy starbucks instant sachets and a pot of hot water. Not impressed.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1933 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:50:54 pm »
Bah. Coffee on the sleeper is now rubbishy starbucks instant sachets and a pot of hot water. Not impressed.

Go to sleep!

essexian

« Reply #1934 on: 13 June, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »
Trying to watch the cycling on Eurosport player this afternoon but in common with the last few days, the picture keeps breaking up. Sssoooooo, I have checked my connection which is working okay, if not as fast as BT said it would be (8mbs against 30odd as they sold me!) so I emailed Eurosport to ask if its their problem.

Well no reply expected for 48 hours.....nevermind eh.....

However, just turned it back on to find that the picture is great.... but I seem to be getting Eurosport in Russian and Dutch instead of English!!!!

You have to smile.

Edited to add....it seems its not just me its playing silly persons with.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1935 on: 13 June, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »
My day has involved much sitting in chairs designed for 5 year olds.  And homicidal musical instruments throwing themselves off worktops and brutally attacking me.  As a result my back hurts a bit and my left foot hurts A LOT and is all puffy and starting to bruise.

Grrr.

The perils of primary schools....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1936 on: 13 June, 2012, 07:44:37 pm »
It must be summer, all the grass is ejaculating IN MY FACE.  The resulting eye-watering reduced cycling visibility to practically Mancunian levels.  Grr.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1937 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »
X country. Sort out your late night connections at Mordor Central.
Specifically: departures to Nottingham at 2203 and 2309. Last arrival from Plymouth is 2206. AND it takes a slower route, and holds outside the station for 5 mins.  So it (dare I say deliberately) misses the next-to-last train, making me wait an hour.

These trains used to be run by different companies, but they're both meant to be X Country (spelling optional) now.

AND ANOTHER THING...
Don't cancel the last train of the day.  Arrival back home at 0110 rather than 2355, with 40+ miles in a taxi, is not my idea of fun.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1938 on: 15 June, 2012, 01:55:23 pm »
Scottish Athletics, you almost make the CTC's membership department look like the pinnacle of efficiency. You kindly sent me a letter dated 20/7/11 which according to the postmark was posted on 13/6/12. Nearly 11 months to stick something in an envelope? If this is your new updated membership system, as you boast, god only knows what the old one was like :facepalm:
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1939 on: 15 June, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
I can't remember what it is I've forgotten to do today, but I'm sure it was important, though not urgent. Perhaps if I got my arse off this chair and away from this computer I'd get out and do it.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #1940 on: 15 June, 2012, 05:04:21 pm »
Today I can't make a decision to save my flippin' life. Gah

« Reply #1941 on: 16 June, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »
Quite a lot of data, mostly showing that the experiment is probably working but not well enough to make any claims. I don't have the energy to decide whether to put more time into this or just move on.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1942 on: 16 June, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »
That's the worst outcome..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1943 on: 16 June, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
Scottish Athletics,

Don't even get me started about them!

The admin hassles I've had renewing Junior's SA number are just silly.
And it's purely random whether all the results from any particular meet appear on his Powerof10 results page.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1944 on: 16 June, 2012, 07:39:33 pm »
my knee aches
my neck aches

« Reply #1945 on: 18 June, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »
Maybe it's just a personality thing but the quality of staff at my Job Centre Plus office today, made me almost suicidal- my 'advisor' could get a job as a civil servant dealing with the public and I am still claiming Job Seekers Allowance.

Chris S

« Reply #1946 on: 18 June, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »
Maybe it's just a personality thing but the quality of staff at my Job Centre Plus office today, made me almost suicidal- my 'advisor' could get a job as a civil servant dealing with the public and I am still claiming Job Seekers Allowance.

Yebbut... would you want to work there?

« Reply #1947 on: 18 June, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »
I "failed" the online assessment test to become an EO at the local one. It is not something I lose sleep over.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1948 on: 18 June, 2012, 04:45:55 pm »

Yebbut... would you want to work there?

I thought giving people a job in the Jobcentre was the traditional last-ditch method of getting the terminally unemployable off JSA, with the inevitable consequences?   :D

« Reply #1949 on: 19 June, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
SouthWest Trains this morning - a 4 coach train on one of the busiest services of the morning - great idea!  I really like being squeezed between two overweight businessmen with beer guts, and unable to move my arms away from where I was holding on for dear life.  And don't tut at me when I don't move into the carriage a bit more - any more and I'll be sitting on someones lap, and I can't reach the overhead rail as I am only 5ft tall, with both legs either side of a covered Brompton, so I have to stay where I am.  Moan at SouthWest trains if you want to moan at anyone.