Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624282 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1950 on: 19 June, 2012, 09:25:43 am »
I did read that as:

Moon at SouthWest trains if you want to moon at anyone.

Would probably be as much use... ;D
Getting there...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1951 on: 19 June, 2012, 09:41:50 am »
Do you know how long ago it was that I started dropping my trousers and waggling my bare bottom at trains? 

(click to show/hide)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1952 on: 19 June, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
I'm p'd off with a colleague, whom I invited to share a presentation with me at a conference and who took the floor after my brief introduction and continued to talk for the full half hour slot which meant I didn't have the opportunity to present what was required of the session. 

« Reply #1953 on: 19 June, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »
Police: I know you said you'd be keeping a high profile in the area for a while, after arresting the drug dealer in the flat next door, but two helicopters hovering over the street for 20 mins now seems excessive.

Unless of course, it's something to do with the fact that The Torch is up at the racecourse at the moment. I'm wondering what tomorrow morning is going to be like, when it leaves the Minster (about 500 yards away) at 7.45.... I suspect I'll be awake early....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

LindaG

« Reply #1954 on: 20 June, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
Can't sleep.  Spent the whole weekend trying (and failing) to stay awake to support Bob, worked like a dog for the last two days with matchsticks keeping my eyes open, and now - Meerkat Woman.  FFS.  This gets less funny by the day.

« Reply #1955 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:56:18 am »
I did read that as:

Moon at SouthWest trains if you want to moon at anyone.

Would probably be as much use... ;D

;D Nearly spat my tea out!  Mind you, I did get a few funny looks earlier in the week when the weather was warm and I decided to strip off my leggings on the train (I had lycra shorts on underneath).

« Reply #1956 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
Why has Twitter started emailing me to tell me who's saying stuff? I have a program that shows me what people are saying to do that, that has been running all week. This is rather too much like Facebook for my liking.

« Reply #1957 on: 20 June, 2012, 10:02:55 am »
Can't sleep.  Spent the whole weekend trying (and failing) to stay awake to support Bob, worked like a dog for the last two days with matchsticks keeping my eyes open, and now - Meerkat Woman.  FFS.  This gets less funny by the day.
Get a foreign language audiobook, put on headphones, lie back on sofa and try paying attention.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1958 on: 20 June, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
Having tried for nearly an hour to get my laptop to connect wirelessly to the printer connected via USB to my desktop I realised that my desktop's printer was actually connected wirelessly to the laptop's printer. :facepalm:

Just off to Google recursion

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1959 on: 20 June, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
A summer event that HK and I had been looking forward to since last year has just been cancelled. Time to work out what else to do and whether we need to shift the booked leave.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1960 on: 20 June, 2012, 06:28:52 pm »
<ungrateful b*st*rd alert>
Second interview? For a job paying that?

Give me the job or don't, stop fucking about making me wash my hair, paint my face and wear stupid shoes.

Grrr.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1961 on: 21 June, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »
Aaargggh. The tickets that were £16 for ages have suddenly gone up to £31 overnight. Why didn't I buy them yesterday?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #1962 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:49:18 pm »
Paid electricity bill this morning.

Mum took the cash to the bank to pay it but the bank cashier said the computer wasn't working, took the money and rubber date stamped the bill and wrote the paid amount on it.

I have no idea if the money has been misappropriated, lost or paid into the electricity board's account.  Having phoned the company they don't  know either.  I am going to have to phone daily until I find out one way or the other. :facepalm:

Don't want to do the internet thing with it as I then loose the paper bills and payment can only be made online instead of with random bits of real money.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1963 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »
Work's Web-based timesheet system: my timesheet for 11-17th June is not overdue - it was submitted on the 15th about 30 minutes before I left the office for a fortnight of getting rained onholiday. Said timesheet is even listed under 'submitted'  ::-)

Whilst we're at it, is it really necessary for me to submit timesheets for complete weeks when I'm not in the office? Apparently it is.  :facepalm:

Despite writing software for them, I'm not a fan of 'cloud-based' systems. Especially when they work as badly as this timesheet thing seems to.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1964 on: 21 June, 2012, 04:56:35 pm »
Bloody gah!

While half-arsedly applying chain lube in anticipation of a weekend of getting rained on, the camping stool (which I use to put me comfortably at the right height for the Streetmachine's cranks and longer-than-average chain) suffered a catastrophic failure of the plastic thingy that binds the three legs together, resulting in an ungraceful landing arse-first on the splayed metal poles.  I anticipate interesting bruises.

It's painfully jarred my lower back, and I hit my head on the front wheel of the Trice on the way down.  (I wasn't wearing a helmet, though the wheel was wearing a mudguard.)

Bastard.

« Reply #1965 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:02:31 pm »
Ouch !  Hope you are OK for the weekend.    A couple of days sleeping on an airbed in a muddy field sounds just the thing for a sore back  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1966 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:19:39 pm »
Mum took the cash to the bank to pay it but the bank cashier said the computer wasn't working, took the money and rubber date stamped the bill and wrote the paid amount on it.

I did just half hear something on the radio about a bank computer system going down, and branches staying open longer as a result.  In which case, they'll have been doing this with dozens of payments, and will have a routine for processing.

I assume the leccy company can't know until the process clears, which will take a day or more longer than usual.

If you have the bill, stamped and dated, you're covered. It's only the way it all used to be done.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #1967 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:23:05 pm »

I did just half hear something on the radio about a bank computer system going down, and branches staying open longer as a result.  In which case, they'll have been doing this with dozens of payments, and will have a routine for processing.

I assume the leccy company can't know until the process clears, which will take a day or more longer than usual.

If you have the bill, stamped and dated, you're covered. It's only the way it all used to be done.
Hopefully it will be fine.  Maybe I will leave checking until Monday to save being on the phone for another half hour before it has cleared.

« Reply #1968 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »

Hopefully it will be fine.  Maybe I will leave checking until Monday to save being on the phone for another half hour before it has cleared.

Probably a good idea. I'm sure it'll be fine - somehow I trust a rubber stamp more than a computer! ;)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1969 on: 21 June, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »
Don't want to do the internet thing with it as I then loose the paper bills and payment can only be made online instead of with random bits of real money.
My version of the internet thing is:
receive paper bill
log on to on line banking
use leccy/gas/whatever company's details I've already set up (inc ref to my leccy/gas/whatever account) and pay requested sum "pay a bill"
scrawl 'paid/internet + date' on said paper bill
file paper bill
I could still if I chose pay with real money
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1970 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »
Just off to Google recursion

For recursion, see recursion.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1971 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
Aaargggh. The tickets that were £16 for ages have suddenly gone up to £31 overnight. Why didn't I buy them yesterday?
i don't understand this. Just checked again and they're back to £16.  ??? Think I'll buy them now before they change again!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1972 on: 22 June, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »
i don't understand this. Just checked again and they're back to £16.  ??? Think I'll buy them now before they change again!

GO! GO! GO!

;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1973 on: 22 June, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »
I went!  ;D

« Reply #1974 on: 22 June, 2012, 04:08:28 pm »
Don't you just love the emails asking you a simple question, and copied to about 5 people...  ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson