Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624468 times)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2050 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »
The other answer is to put the bin out in the morning first thing, instead of sooner.
It needs to be out at about 7am, Mum doesn't want to be taking it out then tbh and would rather take it out the night before as the collection can be earlier.

My parents had this problem once too. So they put the bin out in the dark the night before with dog shit smeared all around the handle bit of the lid. First thing in the morning my dad went out with a disinfectant wipe to remove it. There were lovely finger prints all in it  ;D
They didn't have the problem again after that!
Tempting though it is it would still require Mum to go out early to clean it.
I might try double sided tape on the lid handles to make it tacky.

If we can get one of the shrubs by the gate post to grow further out we can cut a notch into it to cover the lid of the bin when it is outside.  That would mean having to move the bin before opening it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2051 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »
Bin alarm? :)

« Reply #2052 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »
Ah, yes, 7am is a bit early. 

Ok, next weekend I'll sleep in it....

er, or not.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #2053 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »
A couple of bare cables under the lid handles and plugged into the mains!
It won't affect the collectors as they pull the bin with the trolley handles and that will detach the cables! :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2054 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »
I was thinking more like a rape alarm under the rim, but I suppose if you want to get all electrical about it...

« Reply #2055 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »
A couple of bare cables under the lid handles and plugged into the mains!
It won't affect the collectors as they pull the bin with the trolley handles and that will detach the cables! :thumbsup:

Has she tried examining the waste they have put in there for any evidence of who's it is? If there were any envelopes etc. inside you could then go dump it outside their front door and report them to the council for fly tipping.

« Reply #2056 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »
I bet if she did the dog poo trick she'd only need to get up early once! I'd smear it with something fairly gloopy and unpleasant to put your hand but not as revolting as dog poo - jam, peanut butter, marmite, shaving foam, shampoo, glue, bike oil, yoghurt with bits in or a thick mixture of all or the above or something like that. Something that will stick to their hands a bit and encourage them to use a different bin.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #2057 on: 09 July, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »
Has she tried examining the waste they have put in there for any evidence of who's it is? If there were any envelopes etc. inside you could then go dump it outside their front door and report them to the council for fly tipping.
It seems to be general non recyclables from what Mum says, and also fast food packaging.  It seems to happen around evening dinner time as she puts the bin out in the late after noon and then finds stuff in there when she puts the food waste into it after dinner.  She could try putting the bin out later I guess.
As there is a window of opportunity I may sit by the window, or outside hiding behind the hedge if it isn't raining, to catch the sod.  Mum reckons it could be the new person who has moved in next door as it started when she moved in.

I bet if she did the dog poo trick she'd only need to get up early once! I'd smear it with something fairly gloopy and unpleasant to put your hand but not as revolting as dog poo - jam, peanut butter, marmite, shaving foam, shampoo, glue, bike oil, yoghurt with bits in or a thick mixture of all or the above or something like that. Something that will stick to their hands a bit and encourage them to use a different bin.
Other sticky stuff sounds good, preferably something that doesn't wash off easily, and smells a bit. :thumbsup:

I may even try the simple and civilised option of a note on the bin lid.  Something along the lines of:
"Please could you not place your rubbish in our bin as it contaminates the recyclable contents."
 But using fewer and more sweary words. :smug:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2058 on: 09 July, 2012, 03:05:17 pm »
This is a common problem in Bournville, but as they sometimes come round at 6am and the boxes we are provided with are lidless, there's not much I can do about it.
I've decided that my responsibity ends the moment I carry it out the front.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2059 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »
I was thinking more like a rape alarm under the rim, but I suppose if you want to get all electrical about it...

If? This is MFWHTBAB we're talking about.... ;)

As a professional, I like to think I'd probably be able to tell the difference between general user stupidity and illicit addition after the act, but then we're much more personally acquainted with our boxes. To the extent that I can tell you pretty much what will be out at many addresses week on week.

For example, X Malt Shovel Court, two tin cans and a small bundle of newspaper, versus Y Hope Street, 6 gallons of Lambrini and fourteen ready meal boxes.

« Reply #2060 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »

As a professional, I like to think I'd probably be able to tell the difference between general user stupidity and illicit addition after the act, but then we're much more personally acquainted with our boxes. To the extent that I can tell you pretty much what will be out at many addresses week on week.

For example, X Malt Shovel Court, two tin cans and a small bundle of newspaper, versus Y Hope Street, 6 gallons of Lambrini and fourteen ready meal boxes.

My kerbside recycling sorting people probably think I'm an alcoholic with my wine bottles and my sons and dads (when he visits) beer cans in there  :o

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #2061 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:39:37 pm »
My kerbside recycling sorting people probably think I'm an alcoholic with my wine bottles and my sons and dads (when he visits) beer cans in there  :o
Reminds me I should start nicking my neighbour's bin at some point as I am sure I could get a good few quid for the 250litres of aluminium cans in it every fortnight. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2062 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »
We're pretty immune to the amount of alcohol folk drink. The funny thing is when they happen to be there when we pick the box up and say "Oh, we had a party this week" and we're thinking, "Funny, you must have had one last week, and the week before etc etc...."  They assume we have 6 day memories...

We're not too bothered about the make up of the legitimate recycling. We're much more animated by the various non-recyclables people try to put out, which range from the comic to the faecal....

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2063 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
We're not too bothered about the make up of the legitimate recycling. We're much more animated by the various non-recyclables people try to put out, which range from the comic to the faecal....

Comics aren't recyclable?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #2064 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »

It is indeed.

Motorised lid.

Motion sensor.

Sneaky person starts to open lid prior to depositing rubbish. Bin lid opens itself halfway and snaps shut. Snap! Snap! Snap!

Add an unbalanced weight on a motor so that bin starts lurching about.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #2065 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:49:22 pm »

It is indeed.

Motorised lid.

Motion sensor.

Sneaky person starts to open lid prior to depositing rubbish. Bin lid opens itself halfway and snaps shut. Snap! Snap! Snap!

Add an unbalanced weight on a motor so that bin starts lurching about.
Crossbows aren't legal are they? ;D

« Reply #2066 on: 09 July, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »

Comics aren't recyclable?

They are - even Heat magazine is recyclable. in fact it's really the only value it has at all.

I was thinking more of things like the faux antique globe drinks cabinet we found in one binstore....

« Reply #2067 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »
Bugger bugger bugger. I forgot to put the food in the microwave  before switching it on. Now it doesn't heat up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2068 on: 14 July, 2012, 09:38:02 am »
Bugger bugger bugger. I forgot to put the food in the microwave  before switching it on. Now it doesn't heat up.

I think this needs explaining?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2069 on: 14 July, 2012, 11:04:49 am »
When I went to remove the reheated rice, I found it wasn't reheated, because it wasn't in the microwave oven. There was an overheated electrics smell.

Since then, the microwave oven has refused to heat anything. All the controls appear to work, but nothing placed inside it gets hot.

This is not entirely unexpected. Microwave ovens do not like being run empty.  The instructions tell you not to do it.

Ah well. It was very cheap.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2070 on: 14 July, 2012, 11:08:17 am »
Ouch
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2071 on: 14 July, 2012, 01:36:04 pm »
I, being a plonker, cannot find my wallet. I suspect it's lying around the house somewhere, but I can't take that chance and have had the cards in it stopped. Much inconvenience will ensue if it's really lost, as all my various membership cards and driving license are in it too.

Bollox! Found it in the pannier I'd already looked in. No access to funds till the new ones show up.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2072 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:01:49 am »
I've done the same before - I cancelled the cards then found the wallet 15 mins later. Now I keep a cash card and a credit card separate at home so that I can still use ATMs and pay for stuff if my wallet is nicked.

Back on topic - Legs it is now the week, you really should be helping me commute. I know there was a head wind, but really it shouldn't feel like I'm riding through treacle on a Monday morning :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2073 on: 16 July, 2012, 05:41:30 pm »
TPE trains don't have a quiet coach, but apparently today I managed to get into the 'slightly noisier than need be coach'. From Stalybridge to Huddersfield it was a large Irish family nattering, which wasn't too bad, although I could have done without the novelty ringtone, but from Leeds to York it was a trio of "ok, yah" female uni students of that sort who are terribly sure of themselves, but also slightly incapable of Real Life (TM). One of them had, like, OMG! left her phone charger behind (I did the same this weekend, and simply turned my phone off to preserve the little charge left), and then another had, like OMG! left her packet of cigarettes behind, leading to a discussion of whether there would be, like, a shop? at their destination.

Still, the funny bit was when the guard announced that the toilet in the middle coach (which I was sitting close to)  was out of order, but that there was a toilet towards the rear of the train. Within minutes, a knuckledragging tracksuit wearer came and tried the door. A passenger told him it was broken and locked, but there was another at the rear of the train, whereupon the knuckledragger set off towards the front of the train....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2074 on: 16 July, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »
Fuck off drizzle!