Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624491 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3025 on: 25 February, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »
Never mind the rise of the machines, if cats ever evolve opposable thumbs we're well and truly screwed.
They don't need them. They've evolved humans to do things for them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3026 on: 25 February, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
Yet another reason to hate hotdesking: I spent ages the other week storing a list of contacts in my profile on the deskphone (I don't have to hotdesk - my dodgy hip has got me a fixed desk). Took annual leave Thursday & Friday last week, during which a colleague used my desk and logged into the phone with her number. Now all the contacts have been deleted.  >:( >:( >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3027 on: 25 February, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »
Can someone explain to me how it is that a set of toilet seat buffers (those little pads that go under the seat, & under the lid, so they don't bang on the rim & the seat respectively) is not a standard accessory, sold in every outlet that flogs toilets & seats? And why some of ''em cost more for a set than a decent solid wood seat with all fittings, including a perfectly good set of the bloody things? Or why the only ones I can find on sale locally without buying a new seat are (a) crap & (b) part of an entire (crap) fitting kit, most of which I don't want.

I've had to resort to buying online, with slow delivery, to get something which is both of acceptable quality & not too large a fraction of the price of a whole new seat.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3028 on: 25 February, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »
Trip #4 to the dentist for this tooth. I now have temporary filling #4. The anaesthetic is wearing off now.

I wish I'd told her to take it out and crown it, I'd be done by now.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3029 on: 25 February, 2013, 07:39:04 pm »
Yet another reason to hate hotdesking: I spent ages the other week storing a list of contacts in my profile on the deskphone (I don't have to hotdesk - my dodgy hip has got me a fixed desk). Took annual leave Thursday & Friday last week, during which a colleague used my desk and logged into the phone with her number. Now all the contacts have been deleted.  >:( >:( >:(

Note on phone time "Do not log into this with other logins, it will delete Eccentrica's data and she will KILL YOU"

What kind of crap tech is designed for multiple logins which can't store data properly? FAAAAIL!  Hotdesking is EVIL.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3030 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:14:52 pm »
Utterly craptastic.
Getting there...

« Reply #3031 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
Where I work, we each have two separate logins for the phones. But that's not as confusing as it sounds, cos the passwords are identical (nobody knows how to change them), and people can contact you using either number as an extension.

It does, however, usually mean I usually have to contact two separate people who've nicked my numbers. Or, possibly, I'm stealing their extensions. Who knows.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3032 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:55:23 pm »
Argghh teeth. I have spent all day in bed with toothache/headache. The immediate 'red hot poker through the jaw' pain (which could fortunately be relieved by continued sipping of cold water) has gone leaving a very tender tooth and me feeling like bleaaghh. Postponed 240 undergraduates workshops tomorrow as I am not up to 6 hours of solo standup teaching. Dentist on Wednesday AM
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3033 on: 25 February, 2013, 09:26:58 pm »
It does, however, usually mean I usually have to contact two separate people who've nicked my numbers. Or, possibly, I'm stealing their extensions. Who knows.

My brane hurts.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3034 on: 25 February, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »
This sounds like a fairly standard Cisco call-manager system.

Extensions can have a generic extension number, or can allow an individual to log in, so their calls to their own personal number also land on that phone.

Used for hot-desking.
So you sit down at any random life-sucking cube, log in on the phone, and you are plugged into the Matrix.
People calling your number are routed to your currently-logged-in extension.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3035 on: 25 February, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »
Yes, that's what we have. But each person can make a profile for their own extension number which includes things like your preferred ringtone (I like one quiet ring and then flashing light because I appreciate that a ringing phone can be disturbing in an open-plan office), plus store contacts. But every time someone else logs into the phone, the profile and the contacts are wiped out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3036 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
This sounds like a fairly standard Cisco call-manager system.

Extensions can have a generic extension number, or can allow an individual to log in, so their calls to their own personal number also land on that phone.

Used for hot-desking.
So you sit down at any random life-sucking cube, log in on the phone, and you are plugged into the Matrix.
People calling your number are routed to your currently-logged-in extension.

Sounds vaguely about right. Though if that's what we have, nobody understands it, which is why I have to log in twice every day. Or, of course, not bother.

Option b is quite popular amongst colleagues. At least those of us who've been told our extensions have the options.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3037 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:42:02 pm »
Yes, that's what we have. But each person can make a profile for their own extension number which includes things like your preferred ringtone (I like one quiet ring and then flashing light because I appreciate that a ringing phone can be disturbing in an open-plan office), plus store contacts. But every time someone else logs into the phone, the profile and the contacts are wiped out.

There's probably some magic provisioning server settings that'll make it do the Right Thing that nobody has bothered to configure.

« Reply #3038 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »
Yep, we have that cisco system. There is a web page where various settings can be changed about how the server deals with your incoming calls. Of course IT didn't tell anyone about it, I only know because I wanted to change the pin number to log in on the phone which is done via the web page.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3039 on: 26 February, 2013, 07:44:37 am »
I haven't paid the bill. Does this mean the meter-man will come and cut off my supply of raw, damp Nor'Easter? I fucking hope so. >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3040 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »
That phone system sounds like the seventh level of hell. Half the pleasure of being away from ones' desk is getting away from the clueless muppets who make a habit of tying up the electrons with their stupidity.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3041 on: 26 February, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »
Bleh, tired, fed up of being tired. Feels like I'm moving through molasses all the time lately whether I sleep 7 hours or 11.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #3042 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:18:25 am »
I've asked my boss to please bring back some nice weather from Chennai (320C) where he is at a retail conference, or from Goa (350C) where he is going on Friday for the annual Sales Conference for the whole company.  I'm getting bored of this damp cold.  It might not be snowing in London, but my bones hurt and everything is slower.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3043 on: 27 February, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
I've asked my boss to please bring back some nice weather from Chennai (320C) where he is at a retail conference, or from Goa (350C) where he is going on Friday for the annual Sales Conference for the whole company.  I'm getting bored of this damp cold.  It might not be snowing in London, but my bones hurt and everything is slower.
There's been talk of a bunch of us (myself included) going out to Bangalore to do some work with one of our teams over there - it's currently 32C according to the BBC, which would be quite a nice antidote to the general cold-and-shittiness we're enduring at the moment (as I type, the sun is out but it's still bloody cold)

Part of me wants to head out there right now if only for the warmth, but a larger part of me wants to wait until the IPL season starts in April so I can watch some cricket too :)

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3044 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:32:08 am »
...as I type, the sun is out...
Sun? You have sun? How? Who should I speak to?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3045 on: 27 February, 2013, 03:44:54 pm »
Bloody chain power links and bloody cold fingers =   :( >:( :'( >:(

That is all.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3046 on: 27 February, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »
There's been talk of a bunch of us (myself included) going out to Bangalore to do some work with one of our teams over there - it's currently 32C according to the BBC, which would be quite a nice antidote to the general cold-and-shittiness we're enduring at the moment (as I type, the sun is out but it's still bloody cold)

Part of me wants to head out there right now if only for the warmth, but a larger part of me wants to wait until the IPL season starts in April so I can watch some cricket too :)

Apparently it would be unbearably hot in April (according to the other PA I share an office with, who is from Goa originally and then grew up in Bombay).  She reckons her body isn't used to the Indian weather any more after 20 years with the lovely UK climate.

« Reply #3047 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »
In the uni library trying to write an essay.

I've put up with the loud and detailed discussion about toilet rolls (I think it's something to do with an animation project) and scowled a bit at the lengthy mobile phone conversation, but the person sat opposite me has just taken out a full-on pasta meal and started eating it!

Libraries ain't what they used to be. *tuts* *tries not to inhale the smell of garlic too deeply*

« Reply #3048 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:25:02 pm »
the pulley wheel mount on the peter ross trike has snapped and i don,t know any welders at the moment  :(.
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3049 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:27:10 pm »
As karmic retribution for properly indexing gears, I just impaled my finger on a strand of gear cable off-cut that had become caught in my trousers.  Right under the fingernail.  Bastard.

ETA: And as a result I now have a painful swelling on the bit of finger needed to middle-click.  This makes navigating YACF awkward.