Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624155 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13675 on: 03 September, 2021, 11:44:01 am »
My problem with door handles is they catch the sleeves of T-shaped shirts when you aren't expecting it, causing rapid deceleration.
How on earth do you catch the sleeve of a T shaped shirt on something as low as a door handle?
Long sleeved T shirt?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13676 on: 03 September, 2021, 11:58:26 am »
My problem with door handles is they catch the sleeves of T-shaped shirts when you aren't expecting it, causing rapid deceleration.
How on earth do you catch the sleeve of a T shaped shirt on something as low as a door handle?

I have exactly the same issue here.  The door handles are at bicep height, have torn several t-shirts, and I have a lovely scar on one arm where it tore my skin as well.

The good thing about them though is that when the children get sent to their room in disgrace, they can't get out.  (half joking.)   Trouble is that they have now grown and so I need to work out if I can get a locksmith to make a new antique key that will fit the lock.

« Reply #13677 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:06:17 pm »
Endless fucking Beatles songs whilst on hold on the phone. I wish there were an option to hold without the noise  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13678 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:07:54 pm »
Endless fucking Beatles songs whilst on hold on the phone. I wish there were an option to hold without the noise  >:(

How long have you been on hold?   Did you start Yesterday, or is this just A Day in the Life?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13679 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:10:00 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #13680 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »
If anyone could insert these knobs I'd be impressed, they are really very large.

Even I've been surprised (and my knowledge of smut is quite high, thanks to my evil friend Alison, who can re-orientate even the most mundane dinner time conversation to a description of obscure sexual practices) by the size of some of the things people insert.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13681 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:34:10 pm »

By walking past it.  No, I'm not entirely sure either.  Tends to happen when I'm carrying things like the laundry basket, so there's probably a posture thing going on.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13682 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:36:32 pm »
This may surprise you, but human beings come in various heights from really rather short to;  My, my! Aren't you tall!?  Door handle heights have also been known to vary, although not, perhaps, as much as humans.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13683 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:41:34 pm »
This may surprise you, but human beings come in various heights from really rather short to;  My, my! Aren't you tall!?  Door handle heights have also been known to vary, although not, perhaps, as much as humans.

I'm relatively tall, thobut, and most of my T-shaped shirts are of the non-baggy persuasion.

I've just made a less-than-scientifically-rigorous measurement of 28cm from door handle to shirt sleeve.  You wouldn't think that could happen.  And most of the time it doesn't, which is probably why it's so dramatic when it does.

Reminds me of a flatmate I had when I was a PSO who was  a) very tall  b) rather autistic, who had a specific locking-his-door-and-walking-down-the-corridor ritual, that he'd go back and start again from scratch if you interrupted.  It eventually came up in conversation and he explained that he'd worked out exactly where to tread so that he'd be at the bottom of the stride as his head passed the structural girder and assorted light fittings, thereby avoiding a clunking.  Physicists!

« Reply #13684 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:51:37 pm »
I have just measured, all my door handles have a horizontal handle exactly 52inches from the ground.  This is exact height to go in a t-shirt sleeve.

TheLurker

« Reply #13685 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:11:06 pm »
And, quite by chance, I saw the first quarter of an hour or so of, "The Way to the Stars" on Film4 just after 3 this afternoon in which P.O. Penrose (John Mills) opens the door to his room with a handle at a little under chest height.  Mind you it was a proper doorknob rather than a lever so highly unlilkely it would snag any of his clothes, however....

TheLurker

« Reply #13686 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:15:13 pm »
Quote from: Kim
I've just made a less-than-scientifically-rigorous measurement of 28cm from door handle to shirt sleeve.  You wouldn't think that could happen. 
Quantum superposition of door handles?  There's a research project and grant in that if I'm any judge.

ian

« Reply #13687 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:23:50 pm »
I seem to remember some long discussion about handle heights when we had this place redone.

Evidently, I should have used the words not the height that will snag the back of my swinging hand and result in significant blood loss.

Similarly, they're also at the perfect height to jang watches.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13688 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:29:45 pm »
Well after some more dismemberment I have ascertained that I can't just put a new mortice latch in cos that's an old size too and the wrong shape (i.e. it's not a tubular latch) so the next best option may be to attempt to file the hole in the latch so it will accept a modern 8mm spindle. I guess eventually GAMI to fit new doors and handles will occur but there are too many other priorities like a shed, and a less crap shower and a less crap cooker.

Anyhoo, today some new Superglue arrived (the previous tube was welded closed) so the short term solution is gluing the knob into the fitting.
A photie of the aforementioned naff knob.
2021-09-03_04-26-01 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13689 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:38:01 pm »
My brother's house is of similar vintage, and has the same 'auld wifie' doorknobs.
They must have been going cheap around that time.

They really are of such unyielding hideousness as to take your breath away!
A bit of bodgery like you suggest might work.
Not sure how practical it would be to re-work the door to accept a modern latch.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13690 on: 03 September, 2021, 06:33:36 pm »
I'm supposed to be getting a work lapdog which I expect will either turn up here after we've moved or the new place before.

We moved on 31st August, there was an attempted delivery to our old address in 1st September  :thumbsup: ::-) Twats.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13691 on: 03 September, 2021, 06:42:26 pm »
I have also found somewhere that sells 7mm spindles and 7 to 8mm shims to allow use in a modern handle. Not sure how that would work with a handle which is designed for the grub screw to fit into a spindle with a slot in it though.
Am thinking that a new handle of the lever on backplate variety might be more sensible than a lever on rose as the latter seem to be more designed for bolt through fixings and I'm thinking the backplate design would spread the load of the force a bit better.
I might try buying one of each of these items for a test...

ian

« Reply #13692 on: 03 September, 2021, 09:16:30 pm »
Yeah, those'll definitely fit somewhere.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13693 on: 03 September, 2021, 09:55:54 pm »
Elephant's bum?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13694 on: 03 September, 2021, 10:04:47 pm »
Elephant's bum?
Don’t forget the monkey when it’s time to remove it.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13695 on: 04 September, 2021, 10:36:30 am »
Signs that we are getting bigger and bigger as a nation.  I buy clothes in 'Medium'. I've always been medium, all my life. Well, except yacf tops where, inexplicably, I am Large.
So having gone to Carmarthen for the first time in well over a year, I decided to pick up a three pack of jolly colourful underpants.  Medium of course.
It was only when I got home that I actually looked at the waistband size that was hidden in tiny writing on a coloured background.   
35".  Bugger.
Luckily I hadn't opened the pack, but now I need to think of a reason to drive back for more than just exchanging a pack of shreddies.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13696 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:12:50 pm »
I've always been frustrated in Tescos that I can't find sweet potatoes on the self weigh scales, so have to search in order to print a bar code.

Today I accidentally found them.  Apparently sweet potatoes and baking potatoes are "salad" items, and not "root vegetables".

Am I wrong (again) or just confused.  ???

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13697 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:14:53 pm »
In this case (and probably in many others) Tesco are wrong and this is why you are confused.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13698 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:17:38 pm »
If only it were possible for the same item to appear in both categories...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13699 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:26:38 pm »
Or that you could start typing in "sweet potato" and it would find it. Or best of all, have a "I've got a weird vegetable, dunno what it is" button.