Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624595 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14925 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:48:43 am »
Quote from: MattH
I think web designers actively look for innovative usability fails...
Like the fucking morons who "coded" Oxfam's gift aid ticket printer UI. You (or rather the staff) have to type in leading zeroes to make it up to 8 digits.  It's a fucking number, you don't need leading zeroes and if it's held as a string (despite the fact that it's a *number*) pad it with zeroes when it has been entered.  Sweet suffering baby cheeses, it. is. not. sodding. difficult!  Hmm, sorry, that probably should have been in the rant thread.  As you were.
Curious. I'm sure all the GA numbers I've come across have been 10 digits, with four of them being the reference of the shop where the person signed up. Getting the printer to work though is another matter and as for having the barcodes printed on green labels rather than white...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14926 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:28:07 pm »
TRying to download a roiute file for this weekends jaunt, it decided not to work and corrupted leading a perpetual loop of death for my Garmin, last time I'm sure I managed to sort it out OK, but for some reason this time it decided to do a complete reset of all user information and settings.  Grrrrrr

Cue re-entering every screen and parameter I've already enetered every time it decides to throw a wobbly.  This time I'm writing them all down in my little black book of cycling stuff not to forget
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant
« Reply #14927 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »
I’m fast coming to the conclusion that Garmin products are the absolute mutts nuts when it comes to their designated central function, and even ok at related periferal functions, but any attempt to integrate them with any function or systems  not of Garmin’s express interest they positively bomb.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14928 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:09:42 pm »
This Unit was, however, mildly amused when Geraint Thomas confessed to using his for — gasp — route-finding* during Saturday's TdF time-trial :D

* or at least, in the absence of a working wireless, seeing whether the next corner was, er, full gas or likely to kill him to DETH.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14929 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:29:59 pm »
I’m fast coming to the conclusion that Garmin products are the absolute mutts nuts when it comes to their designated central function, and even ok at related periferal functions, but any attempt to integrate them with any function or systems  not of Garmin’s express interest they positively bomb.

The only problem is, I'm now so ingrained that it's a Stockholm situation
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14930 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:32:58 pm »

Does 'long bike rides' count as a function or system?  Cos I'd say you were bang on the money there.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14931 on: 27 July, 2022, 08:34:53 am »
Eight o'clock is no time to be delivering building materials, C&S man, especially with a big lorry (with a noisy hoist-thingy on the back) that blocks Larrington Gardens Road and thereby causes impatient motons to sound their horns >:(

I thought all the non-useless workshy twat builders had gone back to Poland.

« Reply #14932 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:20:13 pm »
A supplier I have the misfortune of dealing with at work. I've been trying to get a wiring loom for a van they fitted out for about a  month. First they were shut for covid and then finally started answering phone calls

After several yes will get sorted phone calls told me would be dispatched last week and invoice to follow. They continually ignored emails and a lot of the time wouldn't answer phone to me

Customer also rang them and got same replies

Friday got told was being made over weekend

Monday they needed to check something with Customer so provided his number

Yesterday chased yeah all being sorted

Today couldn't get hold. Customer did and was told the looms nothing to do with them. It might not be as a grey area whether it's them or van manufacturer but it's taken nearly a month to tell me that having had weeks of yeah it's being sorted

ian

« Reply #14933 on: 27 July, 2022, 08:39:21 pm »
Thanks SES Water for doing a bit of impromptu gardening by the water meter.  I appreciate the easements allow for them doing maintenance but really asking or informing us first wouldn’t be a courtesy too far, would it?

At our last place Thames Water had to winch a digger into our garden to make a big hole. The asked us nicely and let me have a go driving their poo-bot through the sewer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14934 on: 28 July, 2022, 04:47:49 pm »
Dear Brico****, when I buy a full-face anti-garden-shrapnel mask I would like to be able to see through it.  Or should I change my name to Monet and start spoiling canvas?

Unfortunately I bought the thing in March and can't remember from which shop.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14935 on: 28 July, 2022, 05:05:48 pm »
Wow.  That's pretty special.

I assume it's not got a protective film that peels off or anything?  Could it have started out transparent and deteriorated somehow?  Looks a bit even for that.  I'm struggling to imagine what the molisher was thinking.  Other than impressionism.

« Reply #14936 on: 28 July, 2022, 06:50:15 pm »

Garmins don't even integrate properly with their own app*, so expecting them to integrate well with 3rd party apps is a bit hopeful.

* Quite astonishingly simply called "Connect", as if their product is the only thing you'd ever wish to connect to with a smart phone
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14937 on: 28 July, 2022, 08:16:13 pm »
Quite astonishingly simply called "Connect", as if their product is the only thing you'd ever wish to connect to with a smart phone

All the best apps have ambiguous names.  Is it a bus timetable or a network diagnostic tool?  Is it an ebook reader or a motorsport game?  Who knows!  Barakta informs me that people with normal colour vision go by the colour of the icon.

I blame marketroids, who think that you can build 'brand identity' by having a silly name, rather than make a silly name usable by having brand identity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14938 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:07:49 pm »
Tbf I've never heard it referred to as anything other than "Garmin Connect" which is pretty clear.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14939 on: 28 July, 2022, 10:31:52 pm »

I assume it's not got a protective film that peels off or anything?  Could it have started out transparent and deteriorated somehow?  Looks a bit even for that.  I'm struggling to imagine what the molisher was thinking.  Other than impressionism.

My first thought was 'protective film'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14940 on: 29 July, 2022, 06:25:12 am »

Possible, I suppose, although the thing was so cheap I wouldn't have expected it.  I'll have a pick at it presently.

ETA: Colour me idiot, there is a film on it, both sides.  Thanks, Kim.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14941 on: 29 July, 2022, 04:52:13 pm »
Harbury Post Office: I work in a mail room, so I know Royal Fail have a tracked service that asks for a signature. Telling me that the only way I can return my passport and get it signed for is their Special Delivery service is bollocks. You'd already tried upselling to first class, for which there was no need, so I took back my package and I'll send it from somewhere less grasping.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14942 on: 01 August, 2022, 03:08:23 pm »
I hate insurance companies. I’m doing my annual home insurance renewal, and of course my current provider is over 30% cheaper on the comparison sites than on my renewal.

If it were that simple of course, I’d be sorted, but the cheapest offer is more than 50% cheaper, and I’ve on;y looked at one comparison site. If I go to another comparison site, I’ll have to put all my details in again, and details of all the ‘valuables’. All the insurance companies attempt to make it look simple by creating as big a blanket as they can to cover all your stuff, but the blankets are often riddled with holes and nearly always exclude any velocipede that is more than a BSO, or include it only if it is fastened to a ground anchor that would hold the HMS Ark Royal with a chain and lock made from depleted uranium.

Have I said I hate insurance companies.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #14943 on: 01 August, 2022, 04:23:46 pm »
HMRC who seem to delight in asking me to complete forms with the information they already have. I think you know my NI payments because you, erm, are in receipt of the money. Also, it's great that I can defer NI from job to another, but really, I have a PhD and I don't know what that means, or why you're asking me.

« Reply #14944 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:32:46 pm »
Harbury Post Office: I work in a mail room, so I know Royal Fail have a tracked service that asks for a signature. Telling me that the only way I can return my passport and get it signed for is their Special Delivery service is bollocks. You'd already tried upselling to first class, for which there was no need, so I took back my package and I'll send it from somewhere less grasping.

We've had similar getting stuff shipped (comparatively) cheap post to USA. A combination of denying it exists or not having the relevant paperwork/labels

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #14945 on: 01 August, 2022, 06:09:24 pm »
HMRC who seem to delight in asking me to complete forms with the information they already have. I think you know my NI payments because you, erm, are in receipt of the money. Also, it's great that I can defer NI from job to another, but really, I have a PhD and I don't know what that means, or why you're asking me.

HMRC's everything is impenetrable. I think it's deliberate so we can never check their errors, which of course are extremely common cos they don't actually employ enough staff with consistency and training.

I sued them once on the basis of various epic access fail including the low accessibility of their written information because it often contradicted itself outright.

ian

« Reply #14946 on: 01 August, 2022, 06:59:34 pm »
I think they are asking if I have two jobs, in which case, I can defer paying NI on one of them.

But I don't have two jobs, which they should also know. It's a reminder that I need an adult to look after this, the last one retired, which was unfortunate for me and fortunate for him.

« Reply #14947 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:36:26 pm »
Virgin. Your password entering "keyboard" on the tv (tv remote cursor driven thing) has misplaced a character. One commonly found on BRITISH keyboards. Maybe it's behind the shift key we can't select? Please put it back. I don't want to be changing passwords in n places just because of your poor design.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14948 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:45:30 am »
The (non-Joy Devision) oven gloves at Fort Larrington used to hang on the end of that trolley-thing in the middle of the kitchen, but now don’t.

Could I find them this evening?  No.  No, I could not.

And did I subsequently burn my fingers trying to move a shelf in a screaming hot oven?  Yes.  Yes, I did.

Bah >:(

ian

« Reply #14949 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:02:44 am »
Easyjet seem to have given me a pile of money after a recent failed trip, but they've not told me what and I can't remember what I claimed, and when I put in the claim number into their magic website, it says unrecognised. One amount seems to tally up with my memory of the hotel plus an alternative flight. I presume the other is a random amount of compensation. Be nice if they told me, since it doesn't align with any actual stated compensation amount, but I assume there's some excuse-o-meter they can invoke. A big boy pushed over our plane and ran away. A dog ate the flight plan. That sort of thing.

In other news, glazier please come and replace our window, this is day three of probably today. He has his own tradesman excuse-o-meter.