Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624540 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16600 on: 15 September, 2023, 04:46:13 pm »
I think the last time breeds were banned there was a proviso to allow the dog to continue to exist but to be muzzled at all times.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16601 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:02:00 pm »
Sunk into the Graun's Quick Crossword this morning when a rumble and a crash hauled me out again.  Looked down into the street to see broken roof-tiles littering pavement and road.  Half a dozen tiles had come away from our top auvent, impacted on the middle one and been deflected out into the road.  Fortunately nobody had been passing at the time either on foot or in a car, otherwise hamburger.

What's an auvent*?  This is the gable end of our house:

Those cutlet frills are the auvents. The top one is missing a few tiles.  Got road and pavement cleared with help of lad from next door, set out a couple of trestles and Keep Out tape as warning.  Went in & phoned the bloke who usually fixes such things for us, but natch it's Saturday so it's answering machine only until Monday.

And then it'll be 1500€ for the scaffolder and 50€ for the tiles. If we're lucky.

* Google says awning or porch roof. Google is an arse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16602 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:08:46 pm »
 Oh wow you live in a pagoda
 :demon:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #16603 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:15:57 pm »
How many satellite dishes do you have?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16604 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:50:01 pm »
How many satellite dishes do you have?

Those were put up for the Inlaw Paw back in the 90's so that he could watch UK TV.  No idea what they point at these days - we don't use them.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16605 on: 16 September, 2023, 04:56:22 pm »
Your house is cool!

On the cost front, would a cherry picker be cheaper?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16606 on: 16 September, 2023, 05:14:32 pm »
That is a wonderful and beautiful house.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16607 on: 16 September, 2023, 05:27:41 pm »
It is.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16608 on: 16 September, 2023, 07:15:00 pm »
Lovely.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16609 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:08:48 pm »
Why does strictly come dancing start at 6:30? It’s far too early for me to make my escape to the pub!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16610 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:27:18 pm »
Why does strictly come dancing start at 6:30? It’s far too early for me to make my escape to the pub!

May I rephrase that:  Why does strictly come dancing start at all?

Mrs robgul has been down to the big London city place today but, I understand, has set the recording device for it.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16611 on: 16 September, 2023, 10:25:34 pm »
I don't understand how anyone can watch most live 'reality TV', it's all shouty and noisy and impossible to follow (captions are always inaccurate and so delayed as to be pointless).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16612 on: 16 September, 2023, 10:31:22 pm »

Damn, I would have engineered my escape. Luckily I'm in Iceland, and was involved in a several whisky tastings at the time, some very well appreciated tipples
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16613 on: 16 September, 2023, 10:45:38 pm »
Not having a television, or sharing a house with anyone who wants to watch it, makes it quite easy to avoid unwanted programmes like this.

Does Peter West (1920-2003) still present it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16614 on: 16 September, 2023, 10:50:07 pm »
Thank dog I WFH now. The daily shouting across the office of Strictly, Bake Off, whatever 'highlights' used to be one of my bugbears  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16615 on: 16 September, 2023, 11:05:11 pm »
I remain confused that Come Dancing became one of the BBC's flagship programmes. I eagerly await the rise of Extreme One Man And His Dog or The Songs Of Praise Factor.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16616 on: 16 September, 2023, 11:33:14 pm »
I escaped to the Bands in the Park and then to the pub. Returned home, and it was still on!
Was told to "Shut up. Take the dog out."
Complied.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16617 on: 17 September, 2023, 12:30:11 am »
Thank dog I WFH now. The daily shouting across the office of Strictly, Bake Off, whatever 'highlights' used to be one of my bugbears  :demon:

That's a definite bonus. My ex colleagues were lovely but some could not grasp that I didn't watch TV or know any ads and I didn't caaaare. Fortunately the boss didn't watch much TV either, so we could run away together.

robgul

« Reply #16618 on: 17 September, 2023, 07:40:05 am »
Not having a television, or sharing a house with anyone who wants to watch it, makes it quite easy to avoid unwanted programmes like this.

Does Peter West (1920-2003) still present it?

I was just wondering the same thing, and whether Peggy Spencer's Penge Formation Team still represented Home Countes South?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16619 on: 17 September, 2023, 08:00:24 am »
Your house is cool!

On the cost front, would a cherry picker be cheaper?
That is a wonderful and beautiful house.
It is.
Lovely.

Thanks, everyone.  I have to agree, but being timber-framed it's very susceptible to the elements.  Since out first run-in with gales in 1991 I'm continually waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Re the cherry-picker, I'll wait and see what the roof chap says.  He's practically a chum and rides an MTB so he'll not be out to sting me.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16620 on: 17 September, 2023, 09:18:56 am »
It's a plot by the rest of the patriarchy to give us chaps nearly 3 months of Saturday evenings free to do whatever the blazes we like by keeping the ladies otherwise distracted.  So keep shtum old boy or you'll ruin the whole bally scheme.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16621 on: 17 September, 2023, 10:25:22 am »
Came home from a dander to the next village to find all the clocks blinking: another damned power cut.  And the expresso machine needing to be dialled in again, of course.  I suppose the B2C has lost its marbles as well* but I only use it for cappuccino and the settings for that aren't important.

* shades of that larcenous bugger Elgin.  Anyway it's Portsoy the marble comes from. Except it's serpentinite.  Or any night. Oh shut up.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16622 on: 17 September, 2023, 12:02:42 pm »
Came home from a dander to the next village to find all the clocks blinking: another damned power cut.  And the expresso machine needing to be dialled in again, of course.  I suppose the B2C has lost its marbles as well* but I only use it for cappuccino and the settings for that aren't important.

* shades of that larcenous bugger Elgin.  Anyway it's Portsoy the marble comes from. Except it's serpentinite.  Or any night. Oh shut up.
The evidence would suggest that there is only one candidate for marble loss  :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16623 on: 17 September, 2023, 12:42:25 pm »

The evidence would suggest that there is only one candidate for marble loss  :demon:

Better stick a finger in the UPS then...

robgul

« Reply #16624 on: 17 September, 2023, 02:54:45 pm »
It's a plot by the rest of the patriarchy to give us chaps nearly 3 months of Saturday evenings free to do whatever the blazes we like by keeping the ladies otherwise distracted.  So keep shtum old boy or you'll ruin the whole bally scheme.

That's the theory - I usually escape to the workshop to fettle bicycles or indulge in making sawdust with woowork projects - but Mrs robgul seems to spend the whole episode with WhatsApp messages back and forth with a group of 3 other equally infatuated women, and then regales me with the so-called "highlights" afterwards.