Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624646 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16825 on: 30 November, 2023, 12:29:48 am »
I have an horble suspicion that the least accessible light bulb in the whole of Larrington Towers is about to die >:(

I'm guessing that'll be one that involves fettling live electrics one-handed in the dark while leaning over a perilous and indeed lumpy drop, holding onto a rickety ladder by a bit of string?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16826 on: 30 November, 2023, 01:03:57 am »
It's above the stairs and there are two (2) lights on the same switch so even if this one does blow it'll not be totes dark.  But it still involves wrestling the ladder in from the Sheds and into position on the stairs without dislodging any of the framed posters on the Cool Wall:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16827 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:43:44 am »
Recently I bought one in plain blue, with a herringbone weave & double cuffs so I can wear my snazzy cufflinks.  Supposed to be the same size as my others (17 1/2).  I wore it for the first time tonight.  It's OK at the chest & neck, but is Too Damn Short in the body.  It feels like it wants to escape from my trousers & expose my hairy midriff to the world....  :jurek:

Shirt stays are what you need...

Then the hem of the damned shirt pulls off. A while back I shoved my hand through the tail of a shirt while tucking it in for the umpteenth time in the day.  Rubbish quality at quality prices.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16828 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:54:20 am »
It's above the stairs and there are two (2) lights on the same switch so even if this one does blow it'll not be totes dark.  But it still involves wrestling the ladder in from the Sheds and into position on the stairs without dislodging any of the framed posters on the Cool Wall:

A Cool Wall worthy of the name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16829 on: 30 November, 2023, 12:00:53 pm »
My mum, who's a nurse</johnny_briggs>, came up with a cunning plan for the lightbulb-over-the-stairs problem back in the incandescent era:  Relocate the rose above the plasterboard, and replace the pendant flex with one a several of metres long, most of which could be kept coiled up in the loft until the need to lower it (with mild carefulling, to avoid Rodney You Plonker issues) arises.

« Reply #16830 on: 30 November, 2023, 12:17:28 pm »
Recently I bought one in plain blue, with a herringbone weave & double cuffs so I can wear my snazzy cufflinks.  Supposed to be the same size as my others (17 1/2).  I wore it for the first time tonight.  It's OK at the chest & neck, but is Too Damn Short in the body.  It feels like it wants to escape from my trousers & expose my hairy midriff to the world....  :jurek:

Shirt stays are what you need.

I had to google that term.....

I don't think the world is ready for me to dress like this.... :jurek:    https://www.amazon.co.uk/shirts-stays/s?k=shirts+stays

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16831 on: 30 November, 2023, 12:18:56 pm »
Very Rocky Horror...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16832 on: 30 November, 2023, 03:27:11 pm »
And there are some that connect sock tops to shirt bottoms. I’m glad I’ve lived in ignorance of such things!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16833 on: 30 November, 2023, 05:15:20 pm »
Moving swiftly on from Liverpudlian sartorialism, may I hereby wish a lifetime’s haemorrhoids on the scummy git who scammed my credit card?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16834 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:25:10 pm »

I don't think the world is ready for me to dress like this.... :jurek:    https://www.amazon.co.uk/shirts-stays/s?k=shirts+stays

Fuuuuuck!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16835 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:38:17 pm »
Bought a cordless screwdriver from the big orange place.  Comes in nice case, which was oddly unsealed.

On opening it:

1. One of the Philips bits is well used
2. There are no Pozi bits but two of each type of Philips bit
3. The instructions have been opened (they did have a seal).

Bastards.  It's going back (again) for a refund.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16836 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:33:29 am »
Ways you'd prefer not to spend a Thursday evening #28948: discovering that a significant proportion of the wossnames in your trailer mods for Euro Truck Simulator 2 contain so many models that they won’t actually work, thus causing you to have to split the wretched things in half by hand  >:(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16837 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:06:04 am »

I think most of YACF assumes you dress like that already, in the privacy of your own home.  :D

rogerzilla

« Reply #16838 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:29:08 am »
Whoever invented the bottom-entry fill valve for toilet cisterns was a twat.

1. It introduces a point of failure that wasn't there before.
2. It is very hard to ensure a good seal in an oversize cast ceramic hole (which is why all sorts of funky self-centring washer kits exist).
3. If the bastard leaks, you have to siphon the cistern dry before trying again.
4. You don't know if it's going to leak until you fill the cistern and it leaks.

Bring back the side entry cistern!  What's wrong with seeing pipes anyway?  It's a room you crap in.

« Reply #16839 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:32:39 am »
You still have your cistern out on display and not tiled behind a wall? Disgusting!

rogerzilla

« Reply #16840 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:18:28 pm »
You still have your cistern out on display and not tiled behind a wall? Disgusting!
I wouldn't be able to sleep if I had a tiled-in cistern!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16841 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:53:56 pm »
 ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16842 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:14:45 pm »
It's one of those fields where the last 30 years of innovation has just made things worse.  Like printers.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16843 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:35:54 pm »
It's one of those fields where the last 30 years of innovation has just made things worse.  Like printers.
That’s largely because few product designers ever have to worry about maintenance liability.

I spent the beginning of my career mending things that had maintenance considerations designed in, the middle part of my career trying to get things to work that had been oversold by the bastard salesmen and the final years of my career trying to argue maintenance liability against the marketeers who were more interested in aesthetics and price point.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16844 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:45:50 pm »
Whoever invented the bottom-entry fill valve for toilet cisterns was a twat.

1. It introduces a point of failure that wasn't there before.
2. It is very hard to ensure a good seal in an oversize cast ceramic hole (which is why all sorts of funky self-centreing washer kits exist).
3. If the bastard leaks, you have to siphon the cistern dry before trying again.
4. You don't know if it's going to leak until you fill the cistern and it leaks.

Bring back the side entry cistern!  What's wrong with seeing pipes anyway?  It's a room you crap in.

Fernox LX is your friend. Smear a generous layer on the washer before assembly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

« Reply #16845 on: 01 December, 2023, 03:00:56 pm »
Don't start me on plastic pipes.  I ripped them all out.  And the pushfit fittings (pushfittings?). My late mother's house has flexible plastic microbore to all the radiators, buried in the walls.  Good luck with that in 10 years' time after 1000 heat cycles.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16846 on: 01 December, 2023, 03:06:30 pm »
Don't start me on plastic pipes.  I ripped them all out.  And the pushfit fittings (pushfittings?). My late mother's house has flexible plastic microbore to all the radiators, buried in the walls.  Good luck with that in 10 years' time after 1000 heat cycles.
I hear that twist fittings are the latest thing. Quicker to install and easier to dismantle.

« Reply #16847 on: 01 December, 2023, 04:35:19 pm »

I know you hate plastic, and we've had this conversation before, but I'm going to reiterate; properly installed plastic is superior to modern copper (which is very far from pure copper). Properly installed. It is easy to not install properly, because people look at it and think it is like assembling lego.

Microbore of any type is no good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16848 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:07:01 pm »
I don’t want to go out into the Big Room.  It’s cold and damp, and I won’t enjoy it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16849 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:43:02 pm »
I don’t want to go out into the Big Room.  It’s cold and damp, and I won’t enjoy it.
are you back ar Larrington Towers or are you still keeping Charlie the constructor company?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.