Author Topic: yacf riders  (Read 33253 times)

Re: yacf riders
« Reply #75 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:10:28 am »
John was riding back, having packed. I guess there was no point him getting stamps, even if they had been willing to give them.

Ah, I'd missed the fact that he'd packed

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Martin

« Reply #76 on: 22 August, 2019, 12:31:56 pm »
I guess he rode back and was picked up by the timing mats along the way. I guess the dumb tracking system assumes that anyone coming back to Rambouillet is a finisher, regardless of how many controls in the middle have been missed out.

To be fair, if the timing at intermediate controls has't worked, then if it didn't do this,it would not register you as finished. Better the false positive, than the false negative.

True, but it's still just tracking info. Homologation will be completely separate and based on a manual review of the Brevet Card and the electronic control timings.

is it done by transponder now? was a swipe card in 2007; anyway do riders not have to surrender their thingy when they abandon as in other events?

Transponder on the frame plaque, and timing gates to ride through on the entrance to each control (well, exit from Villaines outward).

OK thanks; I've done a ride with that system before but some sadist decided to impose a minimum speed of 18kph and there was a broom wagon which took the plaque off me on the last climb in the Pyrenees (I still finished as it was an AAA DIY)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #77 on: 22 August, 2019, 12:42:38 pm »
72:34 here.
Happy with that, as I took a couple of decent sleep stops.

It was consistent with my plan, which was Make It Up As You Go Along.

600k to Brest, 4 hrs sleep, 300k to Fougeres, 5 hrs sleep, 300k home.

Surprisingly cold in the wee small hours, but my Audax Ecosse training came into its own and the Spare Jersey was deployed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 22 August, 2019, 12:45:30 pm »
Transponder on the frame plaque, and timing gates to ride through on the entrance to each control (well, exit from Villaines outward).

Instructions said it absolutely must be vertical to be read, so when I took it off and put it in my bag I made sure it wasn't. It didn't get read at any of the controls on my way back from Quedillac, just at the arrivee.

Yep, those things are surprisingly sensitive to polarisation.  And, less surprisingly, are comprehensively nobbled by proximity to a conductive surface (including carbon fibre).

« Reply #79 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:14:09 pm »
Not a YACF rider, but some people on here may remember Jean-Claude Chabirand, from the Saint Germans 1000 in 2014 (a real privilege to meet him). He just completed his 12th PBP in 82hr33m, riding the 84 hour start, aged 78, which is some achievement.

It looks like he is matched by 2 of his compatriots, Dominique Lamouller and Alain Collongues. Henri Bourei, who also started his 12th PBP, did not make it back past Fougeres (although the tracker could be wrong).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #80 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

Not on yacf I think, But one rider I was watching, Eleanor Jaskowska. She finished today, becoming what is believed to be only the 3rd woman to complete PBP on fixed.

Also of ACB, Thisisgrace OTP, completed her attempt in just over 80 hours this morning.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #81 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:22:01 pm »
Duncan and j4 are still on the road, last seen at Fougères.
They packed at 1090 km, alas, a heroic failure. Too sleepy to continue safely. :-(

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #82 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:32:48 pm »
Chapeau "thisisgrace" !
Anyone on here any info on another YACF poster -  "JohnJackson" - Rider No. C057 ?
Thanks T.
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

Phil W

« Reply #83 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:43:18 pm »
I'm wondering what has happened to PhilW - his tracker only shows Rambouillet.

Got gut problems on Friday (on ride down) before I even started, being low on energy the whole time.  Struggled through Saturday bike check resting head on handlebars.  Started on the Sunday but distinct lack of energy.  Joined the back of my start group thinking they'd be speeches before the start arch before we set off, like the wait in 2015.  But no the group had gone, and it was me and 4 other stragglers, one punctured before leaving cobbles of sheepfold, and another punctured within 5km. so it ended up as a group of three of us, hardly the great assist for the first leg I was hoping for. I was struggling, even when drafting, making friends with Imodium, and all dignity gone in bib tights. The next two groups started overtaking all too soon, and too weak to get on back of groups. I was alternately shivering and sweating as it turned dark, I needed to abandon at the first food stop (Montagne Au Perche). I alternated between the toilets and sleeping till first light at which point I set off back for Rambouillet.

If I posted a picture of a box of imodium, that'd be the short summary of my PBP.

« Reply #84 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:59:50 pm »
I’m so sorry I waved my shortbread as I overtook you, Phil. I’d have gladly offered my wheel if I thought it would help. I had enough unwanted wheelsuckers later on, but I prefer to help those I know.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #85 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:07:12 pm »
Chapeau "thisisgrace" !
Anyone on here any info on another YACF poster -  "JohnJackson" - Rider No. C057 ?
Thanks T.

From John Jackson on FaceBook:

Twisted my knee . We could not get a TGV until the next day. Two of us hired a car. We arrived with a group Indian riders. I think the lady was very stressed

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #86 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:38:08 pm »
Cheers JonBouy..

Feedback on J.J much appreciated  -  I don't do twitter-face malarkey, so thank-you.
T.
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #87 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:47:47 pm »

Instructions said it absolutely must be vertical to be read, so when I took it off and put it in my bag I made sure it wasn't. It didn't get read at any of the controls on my way back from Quedillac, just at the arrivee.

Yep, those things are surprisingly sensitive to polarisation.  And, less surprisingly, are comprehensively nobbled by proximity to a conductive surface (including carbon fibre).

This was probably my issue, the transponder was right next to the seat tube with seatpost inside. Still registered in some places.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #88 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:21:33 pm »
A number of yacf lurkers finished together last night at around 2230 (Dean C. (vc167), Rob (Audax Portsmouth),
John W and me (LFCC), possibly others (sorry if I missed your name/club).

We rode together(ish) from Fougeres and consumed varying quantities of beer/cider at Rambouillet before dispersing into the French darkness.

Their company was brilliant (certainly helped keep me going) and I look forward to seeing them again on future events.

Martyn

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

« Reply #89 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:47:55 pm »
Thanks for the company Martyn (and others).  I still reckon that my on-the-fly risk assessment of you trying to teach the International Zombie Squad how to ride through and off on the run in from Dreux was spot on  :P

« Reply #90 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:51:42 pm »
Well, the run-in was fine for me - as I said to Martyn, the concentration helped me stay awake.

I'm glad I remembered about the cobbles at the bottom of the hill in Rambouillet, mind.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #91 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:59:18 pm »
Anyone know what happened to Andy Clarkson?  I crossed paths with him throughout the earlier stages of the ride, and he showed up at Dreux at 83:16 - but did not make it to Paris? 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #92 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:02:38 pm »
I didn't see him, but Clarkson got in just fine. He must have missed the tracker.

« Reply #93 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:08:06 pm »
Thanks for the company Martyn (and others).  I still reckon that my on-the-fly risk assessment of you trying to teach the International Zombie Squad how to ride through and off on the run in from Dreux was spot on 
With hindsight you are probably right John (as always) - and you are right that it probably didn't do much for speed either, but it was entertaining ;-).

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #94 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:45:31 pm »
I didn't see him, but Clarkson got in just fine. He must have missed the tracker.

Good news. Obviously a super solid rider so seeing him with 6-7 hours to finish from dreux, I was worried some ill fate had befallen him.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Chris S

« Reply #95 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:59:18 pm »

Good news. Obviously a super solid rider so seeing him with 6-7 hours to finish from dreux, I was worried some ill fate had befallen him.

IME, it takes a lot to stop Clarkson. Even ill-health that would have most of us scurrying to our burrows, was just a blip for a season or two for him (from a cycling point of view at least). He's something else! :D

« Reply #96 on: 22 August, 2019, 08:11:12 pm »
Vorsprung marked as finished in 90:34. Haven't bumped into him on the campsite yet to find out the story.

Ben T

« Reply #97 on: 22 August, 2019, 08:15:11 pm »

Wasn't that clear imho which was the actual chip reading mat at arrivee. There were a few it could have been. You know that "victory lap" round the cobbled courtyard, well I now think it was at the middle of that.
Quite easily done to just go straight to the bike park and into the control if the marshal was distracted.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #98 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:21:45 pm »

Wasn't that clear imho which was the actual chip reading mat at arrivee. There were a few it could have been. You know that "victory lap" round the cobbled courtyard, well I now think it was at the middle of that.
Quite easily done to just go straight to the bike park and into the control if the marshal was distracted.

As opposed to the speedhump to slow people down before the cobbles? It would certainly make more sense if the finish arch and finish mat where in the same place.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #99 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:36:21 pm »
If jsabine's description of the transponders built into the frame badges (ie. disposable passive RFID tags) applies, then the reading device was probably a set of horizontally mounted aerials, aimed across the path at bike height, rather than a mat of the type used with active transponders.