Author Topic: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200  (Read 21052 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Reply #175 on: Today at 02:25:00 pm »
Is the Amici on the London-bound platform? There was a coffee van on the W side when I started the ride there. It was a PITA to get from one side to the other once you had left the station, due to all the building works.

Greggs in the High St claims to open at 0700; I assume the one in the petrol station is 24/7?

Note also if you follow the track through Kings Lynn the only outlets you will pass are Spoons and Carluccios plus one on the quay itself; the High St is parallel just to the East.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #176 on: Today at 02:28:28 pm »
East side of station as you look at the map, apparently. I hope the building works have finished as I got stuck trying to find the entrance for a train home last time I was there 😬

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #177 on: Today at 02:30:34 pm »
East side of station as you look at the map, apparently. I hope the building works have finished as I got stuck trying to find the entrance for a train home last time I was there 😬

yes they have; the L turn at the traffic lights now takes you straight onto the A1307 (old A14) with a right lane to go into the station.

Also there are loos at the start (I can see them on Google maps but not sure when they open), but not in March (they have been demolished not sure if they will be replaced) so either use Greggs or Spoons in Dartford Road.

MsG

« Reply #178 on: Today at 02:37:18 pm »
Marriott's is the main one on the Quayside, we do the FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn breakfast there. The service can be slow but the food is usually good.
I'd like to avoid entering the one way system in KL as it usually leads to me getting lost.  :facepalm:

« Reply #179 on: Today at 03:01:32 pm »
Forecast temps looking to be 3-9C maybe 11C peak if lucky.  Some forecasts have grey all day, Met Office has sun hiding behind clouds.  On Monday it was forecasting a peak of 15C and I was considering shorts, then 3/4s, but now I’m just considering longs especially given the northerly winds.

Pie and chips and gravy from the chip shop in Kings Lynn like last time me thinks, for my hot food stop.

« Reply #180 on: Today at 03:11:35 pm »
I agree.  Full longs, base layers and gilet for tomorrow.  Here (12 miles south of Cambridge, its been decidedly chilly the past two days. Stop at spoons for coffee and burger and chips.  Possibly a BK just after Ely.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

MsG

« Reply #181 on: Today at 03:45:54 pm »
Bib tights for me too and boots.

« Reply #182 on: Today at 04:59:03 pm »
thanks for the trivia MsG! Love a bit of derelict building trivia, and I had no idea that was there. However is that kept that free of water?!

Blimey, I hope this stormy weather passes through tonight. I'm just south of Cambridge - we had some really heavy showers this morning. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow, I'm the one with a pink gilet and a loadsa badges on my carradice.

« Reply #183 on: Today at 05:34:41 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green (and yellow) windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.

MsG

« Reply #184 on: Today at 06:32:51 pm »
thanks for the trivia MsG! Love a bit of derelict building trivia, and I had no idea that was there. However is that kept that free of water?!

Blimey, I hope this stormy weather passes through tonight. I'm just south of Cambridge - we had some really heavy showers this morning. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow, I'm the one with a pink gilet and a loadsa badges on my carradice.
We had hail this morning in Ely too.

The ROC floods as people mucked about with the hatch. There were ROCs roughly every 15 miles. Some were removed or filled in but others remain. The ventilation / access shaft is easy to  pick out once you know what you’re looking for http://www.roc-heritage.co.uk/underground-posts.html

The building to the left of the Chettisham level crossing has an interesting background too.

MsG

« Reply #185 on: Today at 06:34:51 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green (and yellow) windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.

Likely to start about 0820. I won’t be on the Light Blue Robinson steel orange bike for a change but will be wearing mostly orange as usual.