Author Topic: Bluetooth query  (Read 947 times)

Bluetooth query
« on: 27 June, 2020, 03:50:47 pm »
If I use a bluetooth USB stick to connect a device, should it "just work" replacing the cable, no issues; OR is it only certain devices that will work (idunno, depending on transfer speed; having the proper drivers; or summat).

Specifically I would like to connect a Pen display via bluetooth.  There isn't a model currently that have this feature so I was wondering whether I could solve this with an aftermarket bluetooth solution.

Also, what's the typical range for these?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Bluetooth query
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:09:35 pm »
The device needs to be compatible with one of the profiles below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

Plus you computer / tablet whatever needs to support that profile which will depend on what version of Bluetooth it supports etc.

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:14:36 pm »
Ah.  That mostly didn't make sense to me, though in short "no, you can't just plug a bluetooth USB stick into anything and expect it to be able to connect via bluetooth". 
I would guess that if a device doesn't have a bluetooth version it prob wouldn't be compatible.

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:34:37 pm »
Bluetooth doesn’t really have the bandwidth for video, and even a tiny bit of latency (transmission delay) can make pen displays unusable.

But more generally, retrofitting Bluetooth or other wireless support to things that weren’t build with it isn’t A Thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:06:04 pm »
If I use a bluetooth USB stick to connect a device, should it "just work" replacing the cable, no issues; OR is it only certain devices that will work (idunno, depending on transfer speed; having the proper drivers; or summat).

<fx: Hollow laughter>

No, it's it's own thing.  You have to have a device that speaks Bluetooth to connect to it with a host that speaks Bluetooth.  (You're also likely to need a silver handled knife, an altar, black candles and a goat.)

Honourable exception for RS232 and analogue audio, for which you can obtain devices to Bluetooth-ify it in either direction.  (This works because the device speaking serial or audio doesn't have to know anything about what it's connected to and the dongle just appears as another serial/sound device on the host.)

Specifically I would like to connect a Pen display via bluetooth.  There isn't a model currently that have this feature so I was wondering whether I could solve this with an aftermarket bluetooth solution.

As answered by grams above.

Also, what's the typical range for these?

Approximately 3/4 of what you need it to be, or impressively lots, depending.  A few metres is typical.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2020, 07:09:16 pm »
Interesting point about video - though you do get bluetooth graphic pads (they don't have screens).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2020, 08:51:42 pm »
It could make sense to use HDMI output from the computer to the display, plus Bluetooth for the input.
A graphics pad could use the Bluetooth HID profile. ie it will work as a mouse, without any extra drivers. Though that wouldn't support any special pen features, eg pressure sensitivity.

And also the Universal Stylus Interface. This is trying to create some standard protocols for stylus and touch screens. Though not sure how many devices support it. https://universalstylus.org/