Author Topic: Weird recurring dreams  (Read 611 times)

Weird recurring dreams
« on: 09 March, 2024, 06:48:20 am »
Yes, you were hoping for something juicy, weren't you. An insight into the mind of Flatus.  ;D

I've not long woken up from a dream that contained a fairly frequent element in my dreams. The dream is that I suddenly remember that I actually own a shit old car that I had long forgotten about. In the dream I try and remember what I'd done with it, where I'd parked it, if it still runs, and I go and find it, start it up and have a drive around in it.

This morning I realised I'm probably dreaming about my actual car.

What are your recurring dreams?

Re: Weird recurring dreams
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2024, 11:47:01 am »
I used to dream that there were hidden compartments in my actual current car at the time. I had that lots, and got quite excited about all the hidden compartments that were never actually there.

Also in my twenties and thirties, I dreamt of a place where a man in a check shirt was cutting and moving logs continually outside in the garden and a baby was crying. I found the woodcutter very menacing, nightmare fashion.

The house was tudor built on a large corner plot.

Interior decor was all beige.

There was a hallway that ran the length of the front of the downstairs of the property. This had windows one side and mirrors on the other side.

A few years later, after this dream finished visiting me, I was working a couple of hundred miles away from home and soon found a digs that suited me. I had stayed there for a few weeks when I realised that from the outside it was a mirror image (ie actually reversed as per a mirror image) of the property in my dream. The interior was completely different though. No hall along the front of the property, no beige anywhere.

I casually mentioned the similarities to the hosts at the property. The look on their faces when I described the differences internally were unforgettable. There had been a hallway which the previous owners had taken out, to enlarge the room sizes. The backs of cupboards revealed the beige decor.
The hosts asked about if there were noises. I said yes the man was always cutting and dragging wood, and a baby was crying, continuously.
Again their faces were shocked - the previous owners had noticed a dragging noise, which they could hear all night long and their baby kept waking... to the point that they had to move out (at the time my dreams stopped).
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2024, 11:51:26 am »
I don't get recurring dreams. As a child I got one when I had a fever. My dreams are a bit fragmented and very visually limited I blame aphantasia.

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2024, 11:57:10 am »
As a child I got one when I had a fever.

Did your hands feel like two balloons?

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2024, 12:06:37 pm »
As a child I used to have a recurring dream of falling down a never-ending stairwell.  The stairs passed beneath me and I never hit them.  The stairwell was dark with black steps and white edges.

Many years later I was visiting a prison doing some pro bono work and we were walking to a meeting room in the admin block.  We turned a corner and the stairwell looked just like the one in my dreams.  And then the lights came on.

barakta

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2024, 03:17:53 pm »
I would get weird perspective issues of either being very big and not enough space to move, or very small and having to traverse some endless journey making tiny progress. Not really visual so much as semantic thing.

jwo

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2024, 04:47:41 pm »
I would get weird perspective issues of either being very big and not enough space to move, or very small and having to traverse some endless journey making tiny progress. Not really visual so much as semantic thing.

I used to get exactly that when I had a fever. I guess Lewis Carol had it too. And funnily enough part of that was, like Roger Waters, my hands feeling like two balloons. Apparently this perspective/hands thing is a known phenomenon and has some medical name that I can't remember.

« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2024, 05:24:22 pm »
I sometimes dream that I'm an old man, stumbling and forgetting things.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2024, 06:22:43 pm »

I used to get exactly that when I had a fever. I guess Lewis Carol had it too. And funnily enough part of that was, like Roger Waters, my hands feeling like two balloons. Apparently this perspective/hands thing is a known phenomenon and has some medical name that I can't remember.

Dysmetropsia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

jwo

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:05:49 pm »
Ah, that'll be it.

It was pretty regular for me as a child whenever I got badly ill, but limited to nighttime fever dreams. Have had rare recurrences as an adult, but probably no more than 3 or 4 times in the last 40 years, so not sure if that fits into Flatus's "recurring" description. The only recurring one I now have is the one where I break into flatus's car and park round the corner without telling him.

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:10:53 pm »
 ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:22:50 pm »
I often have one where the Forth Bridge, goes on fire, then collapses.

barakta

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2024, 10:48:44 pm »
I think fevers do weird things to the brain.

As can some meds. After my recent general anaesthetic, for the next 30ish hours I had weird visual effects from both tramadol and pregabalin for several hours after each dose. I flat out refused repeat dosages of either as it stopped me sleeping cos it was too disorientating. I can't tell if part of the issue was my vestibular system (already more than a bit screwed up) was playing up post anaesthesia (it did in 2021 too). Normally as an aphantasic I see nothing when I close my eyes, so having raid moving bright geometric images was really annoying and meant I couldn't try and rest with eyes closed or snooze which I really did need to do.

« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2024, 11:17:14 pm »
Haven't had it for a while, but naked at work features sometimes. Mostly I try to style it out.

Also, I get weirder dreams in December. But that correlates with Port.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 10 March, 2024, 12:27:42 pm »
Woke up the other day thinking about a Mormon girlfriend (serious) of quite some decades ago, a long standing relationship which ended suddenly in less than ideal circumstances. Repeatedly dreamt of since. Most odd. Actually finding it very disconcerting and hard to shake off. Not sure what my mind is trying to tell me here.
Edit. I have since been told that being on a diet and 'de toxing' can cause vivid dreams for reasons unknown which seems to be confirmed by articles various on the Interwebby.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2024, 03:12:41 pm »
I don't get recurring dreams, but I used to have flashbacks to something that was pure white, a space with no shadows, only the shadows were textures, and I would feel like I was on something that was both rough and smooth at the same time. I eventually decided this was some retained snippet of being in hospital after sticking wire in my eye as a baby and my brain rewiring itself to make better use of the redundant part of my visual cortex. It only happened in a sort of hypnagogic state, although I was reminded of it recently by someone sharing some interiors from a minimalist house that was painfully monochrome.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."