Author Topic: Taming the savage goose  (Read 2063 times)

Taming the savage goose
« on: 19 November, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
The unamed goose game

No not that.

My landlady bought two goslings. Spoilt them rotten, they grew up - and the male has turned into a right horror. Some visiting kids chased him and he turned savage.

When he started biting landlady, she just let him. In her words "He seemed to want to do it so I didn't want to stop him.". Left one arm black and blue.

Next day he had a go at me - I took him by the neck, told him he was a bad goose. A few repetitions of this and he is a reformed character (except he still attacks landlady's husband, just about draws blood from him).

I am now the 'goose whisperer'. The savage beast (was drawing blood from people), now pines for attention and follows me around. Doesn't attack landlady, will let her stroke him.

All I did was treat him the same way I would treat a dog that bit. Firm words and holding by the neck when behaving badly. Gentle voice for good behaviour.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Taming the savage goose
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
Geese are well know gits. Loads of scrapyards round here used to have them instead of guard dogs when I was younger.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2019, 04:12:53 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2019, 04:15:30 pm »
Might take a gander at that linky.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2019, 05:45:14 pm »
Next day he had a go at me - I took him by the neck, told him he was a bad goose.

You are Steve Irwin AICM5P

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2019, 06:01:51 pm »
I've generally found geese are all mouth (beak?) and no trousers and when confronted find somewhere else to have a gander.... Clearly this isn't always the case but have hissed back at a few or just walked towards them and they have moved

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2019, 02:01:57 pm »
Hissing at them is a really bad idea. That is an aggressive signal - it is like growling at a dog that is half-thinking of biting you.

They might back off at first, but turn your back and they'll take a lump out of your leg.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2019, 02:25:49 pm »
My brother keeps geese and they are a lot more wary if you are holding a stick - they will still do all the hissing and flapping of the wings but will not come within range of the stick