Author Topic: Dune: Part two  (Read 515 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Dune: Part two
« on: 28 February, 2024, 05:36:28 pm »
It’s big kid time and I’m quite excited that this is about to be released.

I’ve been looking at booking tickets, but I have a choice to make. Do I opt to go for an IMAX showing for the full visual experience OR do I opt for one of the very limited screenings on a smaller screen that will include subtitles.

With a blockbuster like Dune, the dialogue isn’t going to be especially complex, but that’s not really the point is it. They’d never get away with limited showings on lesser screens for wheelchair users!

BASTARDS.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dune: Part two
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2024, 05:54:13 pm »
No, they'd just declare the wheelchair user to be a fire hazard and not let them in...

Stay at home and watch it on DVD[1], that way the subtitles won't get forgotten or turned off because someone who didn't read the listings properly complained.  And you can pause it halfway for a bladder break.

[1] Other home media are available.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2024, 06:46:32 pm »
The trick for excluding wheelchair users from cinema is to insist they're only allowed in certain areas which don't have good view of screen, fail to maintain the lifts into the only wheelchair accessible cinema/screen or have some fuckery involving it not being possible to book wheelchair tickets cos they're not seats but when you arrive they won't sell you tickets cos all seats are sold out.

Deities forbid you want a captioned screening as a wheelchair user. Deaf/HOH wheelchair users 'don't exist'.

A deaf wheelchair using friend has sued over several of these issues.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2024, 07:10:46 pm »
I apologise for my crass statement wrt wheelchair users. It was from ignorance, not malice.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2024, 08:19:53 pm »
The trick seems to be to stick to arthouse cinemas, where they tend to have an enlightened attitude to subtitles, if not access in general.  But they won't have IMAX capabilities.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2024, 08:33:43 pm »
I apologise for my crass statement wrt wheelchair users. It was from ignorance, not malice.

No offence taken. Just thought I'd correct the record :).

Hope you get to an accessible version of Dune 2 and properly get to enjoy it!