Author Topic: New motherboard?  (Read 1294 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
New motherboard?
« on: 09 August, 2021, 07:37:05 pm »
So, after replacing my SSD to reinstall Win10 I managed to get my PC working again. This time I took an HD image after reinstalled my key apps just in case. One month later, after the occasional crash and restart it's again failing to boot.

After restoring the backup image it still doesn't boot so am I right in thinking it could be a MB issue?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: New motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:48:01 pm »
Could be a BIOS issue. May be worth powering it down, clearing the BIOS and reinstalling the latest version. What's the motherboard?

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2021, 11:53:54 pm »
Not only, but also:
Are there error codes / LEDs to say what’s going wrong. They might indicate wobbly connection to disk / cpu / ram etc.
Is the motherboard battery on its way out?
Do you have a different disk you can try?
Is it the motherboard covered in dirt? (When I fixed hardware for a living in the 90s dusting solved more than half the problems.)

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:35:35 am »
If the motherboard is completely unresponsive then it could be the power supply that has failed, I've had that happen.

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:53:21 am »
Motherboard CMOS battery ok?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedal Castro

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2021, 04:14:49 pm »
Thanks for these ideas, time to get the hoover out I think.  ;D Dusting the mobo was something I used to do quite often but I've fallen out of the habit.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:44:50 am »
It was reasonably clean inside but I gave it a dusting anyway, jiggled a few cables and all is well in the world.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:49:33 am »
I second the beep codes / LED codes comment. Get the manual for your motherboard or PC and see if there are beep/light codes.
Turn the thing on and look for these!

Do you get ANY output on your monitor?