Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152525 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #625 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:24:43 pm »
The wife tonight. It's the excitement of our weekly shop and she had an after dinner baileys so hitched the burley bee onto her bike and she took the very short ride to lidl. Probably takes as long to get bike out through the strange shared access to our garden with the added width of the trailer then it did to actually cycle there but too much to carry in panniers or walking

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #626 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:35:00 pm »
The wife tonight. It's the excitement of our weekly shop and she had an after dinner baileys so hitched the burley bee onto her bike and she took the very short ride to lidl. Probably takes as long to get bike out through the strange shared access to our garden with the added width of the trailer then it did to actually cycle there but too much to carry in panniers or walking

In the general spirit of this thread, I routinely (or did, before the current unpleasantness[1]) cycle to a shop that's about half a kilometre away because it means I have a knee-friendly way to carry the shopping home.

[1] Instead I've been doing one big trailer load at Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of Sporadically-Stocked Comestibles every couple of weeks, to minimise exposure.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #627 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:15:41 pm »
27km round trip to the pet food store in Cinderford almost all of it off road
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #628 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:41:42 pm »
Due to lack of space and lack of use I'm considering selling Penelope the Pashley Pronto so potentially no more utility cycling for me  :'(

« Reply #629 on: 19 August, 2020, 12:04:18 pm »

Which has reminded me I ought to order a trailer hitch for Mary's bike along with the new brake pads she needs (and probably some less knobbly tyres).

I cycled to my MRI (to look at an injury caused by other comedy adventures*) however they didn't have a locker big enough to put my bag in, most people drive so it's not something they considered.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #630 on: 23 August, 2020, 10:17:17 pm »
Due to lack of space and lack of use I'm considering selling Penelope the Pashley Pronto so potentially no more utility cycling for me  :'(

I've sold the cream chariot that was my bakfiets, as my girls have outgrown it, so I've been considering a pint-sized shopping replacement...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #631 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:34:48 am »

I've sold the cream chariot that was my bakfiets, as my girls have outgrown it, so I've been considering a pint-sized shopping replacement...

Penelope is up for sale and will be going on eBay shortly.  She's a Pashley Pronto, full working order and ready to ride.  Allegedly started life as a works bike at The Atomic Weapons Establishment, Aldermaston.  I'm looking for offers in the region of £150 but might be willing to take less if no eBay charges needed to be paid...

IMG_0228 by Steve Rowley, on Flickr

If you're interested let me know, I have loads more pictures.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #632 on: 25 August, 2020, 03:34:47 pm »
The adventure came before the utility today. I'd got about four bike lengths when I had to stop to investigate a repetitive noise from the front wheel. Turned out to be something caught between disc pad and rotor. That led to thoughts about pump positioning; it's under the top tube at the moment, which is fine while riding but a pain when lifting the bike, for instance to spin the front wheel and check what's making that noise. Might try strapping it to the seat tube but not sure there's really room.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #633 on: 25 August, 2020, 06:01:22 pm »
And that led to a trip this afternoon which could have been The Wrong Sort of Adventure, as I went out without a pump at all. But fortunately it wasn't. (and it would only have been a 15-20 minute push if it had happened)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #634 on: 26 August, 2020, 12:33:43 pm »
..... pump positioning; it's under the top tube at the moment, which is fine while riding but a pain when lifting the bike, for instance to spin the front wheel ....
Also has to be removed when the bike goes on the stand (e.g. for fitting mudguards) leading to me leaving it at home,  only realised after 200kms, 70 to go and shops now shut, so no acquiring alternative..... luckily I got away with it.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #635 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:34:38 pm »
Think it's going to be a long weekend of mini utilitarian adventures. Off with the two monkeys this morning to join in with Witham Wombles on a litter pick. Having got there and realised I didn't have enough pockets for the various bits I needed I remembered the bar bag comes off to make a fetching man bag. Sorted. (nb if any of the Witham riders here would like to come along on one of the litter picks would be great as there aren't often many of us)

Then this afternoon to the localish refill shop for a few bits. Did think they were being a little odd asking if I was going into their shop when I was locking my bike to fence outside, was already a bit grumpy from the generally crap standard of driving but realised it was because the shop was empty so they had taken their face mask visor thingys off so needed to get them back on

Tomorrow will be a cycle to allotment and hopefully Monday will be a cycle to pick rosehips to make apple and rosehip jelly or if it fails to set syrup

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #636 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:20:46 pm »

You can go to the supermarket on any bike. My record is 31kg shopping on my Thorn. Its luggage carrying capacity is rated to (IIRC) 12kg on the back, 5kg on the front. Oh, and a rider of not more than 100kg.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #637 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:24:34 pm »
Slight change of order but rosehip picking yesterday

Wife cycled to shops for weekly shop using the burley kiddie trailer. I then used it and her bike which was a giggle as its very upright to what I'm used to. Used it to go round Oscars Dad to grab some old gardening tools he no longer needs and I can store at my allotment.

Then cycled to and from the allotment with the wife which was good and found a few cut through as she's not comfortable with the busy roads and she also realised its not far to cycle

Oscar's dad

« Reply #638 on: 01 September, 2020, 09:04:27 am »

You can go to the supermarket on any bike. My record is 31kg shopping on my Thorn. Its luggage carrying capacity is rated to (IIRC) 12kg on the back, 5kg on the front. Oh, and a rider of not more than 100kg.

This is true.

« Reply #639 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:30:04 am »
 Yesterday’s 4 panier utilitarian adventure to Tescos was only partially successful due to having to deal with a very smashed jar of sundried tomatoes in the bottom of one of the front paniers.

The previous evenings visit to see a pal who’s ship was visiting the Tyne was more successful, even if the wrong side of midnight 10 mile ride home was a bit wobbly.

« Reply #640 on: 10 November, 2020, 11:44:03 am »
Suppose this could go in on the plot as well but having a day holiday cycled up the allotment with my panniers full of chicken manure and sawdust from there bedding. Scattered this on then returned home to grab some clothes the kids have outgrown and dropped these round to friends

Was an absolutely beautiful day for it and was going faster then the traffic on the A12 I was cycling alongside. Discovered the reason as was getting a little marked at a lady with her dog stood right in the middle of the shared use path till saw a car sat in the outside lane. Stopped to check in her having assertained it was her car but she had done the right thing in ringing the police already so wasn't really anything I could do

« Reply #641 on: 23 December, 2020, 08:25:13 pm »
Two trips to deliver Christmas related items. One was yesterday 45km so that went in have you been out today but today I escaped the house which is getting a tad tetchy being in tier 4 and not being able to spend Christmas with family (I'm well aware how lucky we are to be well, have a house and full fridge/cupboard/freezer). Just half hour or so blasting round delivering cards. Chased a few cars as had an excess of beans to burn. Traffic was light and made me wonder why anyone would choose to drive as with cut throughs and being able to cycle right up to people's houses Its quicker by bike . Still stupidly mild as well. Sweating by the time I got home.

« Reply #642 on: 28 December, 2020, 09:41:36 pm »
Came off on ice returning home from the local butchers with the turkey on Christmas Eve, back at work first thing tomorrow morning so I’ve now sensibly fitted the Marathon Winters. Bring it on!

« Reply #643 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:50:57 pm »
Don't forget to fit ice grips on your shoes  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #644 on: 06 February, 2021, 08:55:46 pm »
Cycled to get a curry tonight. With it being grim nearly took the car but my conscience wouldn't let me which then allowed me to be smug and grumble at the utter chaos of cars parked on every available bit of pavement outside the curry house despite a) it being a pavement and b) there being double yellow lines.

« Reply #645 on: 02 March, 2021, 06:06:19 pm »
Cycled down to my new gainful employment at the local secondary school covid testing unit.
I was astonished at how many people were about (driving and walking) at 7:45 this morning.
I'm sure the road from the school used to be a gentle incline - the plague seems to have made it into a bloomin' great hill.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #646 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:39:17 am »
Need to pick up 3 2m long wooden posts for the balcony garden. I took the Brompton and did click and collect at the big DIY store.

One of these is not like the others:

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #647 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:16:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:
(Bet there's a photo of your bike on some Dutch "parking like a fud" site, followed by phlegmy spittle in green ink)

« Reply #648 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:13:44 am »
Monkeys back at school today and loads of stuff to take in such as pe kits and books that had been collected during home school as well as a big craft project

The littlest monkey had also been a bit wobbly about going back so offered the tandem as an incentive so this morning one tandem and two bikes headed off with loaded panniers and the project strapped to the top. Lots of surprised looks on the way and more on the way home as was cycling the tandem solo by this point as the wife needs her bike for shopping later

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #649 on: 09 March, 2021, 10:12:26 pm »
Yesterday I did my longest ride of the year to date which was a very utilitarian one. About 5 miles across town, to get my first vaccine dose and then a quick nip to the supermarket next door to find some school shoes to save the pinched toes of the SmallestCub, who has grown out of his old ones but discovered when they arrived on Sunday that the new ones ordered online didn't fit either.