Author Topic: accident claims cold calls  (Read 4611 times)

Re: accident claims cold calls
« Reply #25 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:47:10 am »
I guess I was lucky. I was hit from behind (in a car, by a car) in January 2016. I never received any compensation claim calls. My insurer was Direct Line in that instance. Plus we have one of those BT "call guardian"phones that "announce" calls from unknown numbers. I assume it's been 100% efficient in weeding them out - we've never had one bother to go through the system to speak to us anyway.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ben T

« Reply #26 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
Just had another one that was quite persistent. Strong manchester accent but a london phone number - I wonder if they have one office but are somehow able to access multiple different phone lines all over the place to get round people blocking them?
The probing into who the company was and what its address was didn't put him off once I'd kept him on the phone for a bit by saying 'I can't remember' quite a lot.
He knew my car details and address without me having to give him these and was fairly insistent that he's got these from "the accident database" which they would be on for 3 years and the only way to get my "file closed down" would be to proceed with a claim! I saw a case on one of these sheriff's programs of a woman whose debt was basically legal fees from going down such a path. Is the risk of that the brunt of what I have to lose by actually agreeing to "proceed"? Assuming he is actually a semi-legit ambulance chaser rather than a rogue employee who's run off with the data to commit fraud.
I sent an email to my insurance company and that of the other driver asking would it be in their best interests to get my details removed from the database...won't hold my breath that they will though.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:10:42 pm »
Just had another one that was quite persistent. Strong manchester accent but a london phone number - I wonder if they have one office but are somehow able to access multiple different phone lines all over the place to get round people blocking them?
The probing into who the company was and what its address was didn't put him off once I'd kept him on the phone for a bit by saying 'I can't remember' quite a lot.
He knew my car details and address without me having to give him these and was fairly insistent that he's got these from "the accident database" which they would be on for 3 years and the only way to get my "file closed down" would be to proceed with a claim! I saw a case on one of these sheriff's programs of a woman whose debt was basically legal fees from going down such a path. Is the risk of that the brunt of what I have to lose by actually agreeing to "proceed"? Assuming he is actually a semi-legit ambulance chaser rather than a rogue employee who's run off with the data to commit fraud.
I sent an email to my insurance company and that of the other driver asking would it be in their best interests to get my details removed from the database...won't hold my breath that they will though.

I can barely even believe I'm reading this on a forum where someone is actually considering any further dealings which such a company or individual!
Steady at 15

Ben T

« Reply #28 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:08:03 pm »

I can barely even believe I'm reading this on a forum where someone is actually considering any further dealings which such a company or individual!

I'm not actually going to do it, because of the risk of a legal bill, but I am left wondering why else I shouldn't. I just don't find acting/posting like it should be obvious helpful.

Now I think about it, I did get a grand compensation when I got knocked off my bike back and I didn't get any follow up calls then.

« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:25:46 pm »
Now I think about it, I did get a grand compensation when I got knocked off my bike back and I didn't get any follow up calls then.

Tempting, isn't it! :demon:
Move Faster and Bake Things

Ben T

« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:33:47 pm »

Well, I have got morals. But knowing its my own insurance company basically sell my details in order to make a quick buck off another insurance company kind of evaporates any moral obligation towards them, leaving my only concern with pursuing it being any potential detrimental effect it has on myself.

« Reply #31 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:07:04 pm »

Well, I have got morals. But knowing its my own insurance company basically sell my details in order to make a quick buck off another insurance company kind of evaporates any moral obligation towards them, leaving my only concern with pursuing it being any potential detrimental effect it has on myself.

If you can't beat them join them, eh?   Go on, you know you want to..

Move Faster and Bake Things