Author Topic: Accommodation Needed Edinburgh  (Read 1080 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Accommodation Needed Edinburgh
« on: 13 March, 2010, 09:45:18 am »
My mate needs a hotel/ B & B/ guest house for two nights in Edinburgh.

1st & 2nd of May. Needs to be handy for Murrayfield. With parking.

Just him and his two adult sons. I believe they are reasonably well behaved and house trained :)

Could our Embra readers contribute suggestions?

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Accommodation Needed Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2010, 12:31:11 pm »
Sorry, given that we live here we don't have much call for booking hotels here.  Mrs C's niece used to work in the West End Travelodge in Belford Road.  It's reasonably handy for Murrayfield and I expect quite cheap.  I've just looked them up but the reviews look a bit mixed...Travelodge Edinburgh West End Hotel Reviews and Photos, Edinburgh, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor
Aero but not dynamic

Martin

Edinburgh off the beaten track?
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2010, 12:49:40 am »
any suggestions for alternative things to do? Mrs Zoom and I are up there for a mumble birthday weekend in a couple of weeks. I've been there a few times on corporate jollies but would like to see something a bit more inspiring, it's her first time. Preferably walkable or a short bus ride.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Edinburgh off the beaten track?
« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2010, 07:32:59 am »
any suggestions for alternative things to do? Mrs Zoom and I are up there for a mumble birthday weekend in a couple of weeks. I've been there a few times on corporate jollies but would like to see something a bit more inspiring, it's her first time. Preferably walkable or a short bus ride.

You could go on a Gormley hunt.  http://www.nationalgalleries.org/aboutus/project/1:167/8496  We did this last Saturday, start in the grounds of the Modern Art Gallery, descend steps to Water of Leith, there's the first one (nattily dressed in a pink dress on Saturday).  Then follow the river down to Leith, about 4 miles, looking out for the further Gormleys on the way and passing through the wonderful Dean Village, through Stockbridge, we diverted through the Botanics for lunch, ending up the the Baltic architecture of Leith, along with some big boats - there was a couple of oil supply vessels and what appeared to be a Danish military ship on Sat.  And there's also the Royal Yacht Britannia which is well worth a visit.  The shopping at Ocean Terminal is pretty good too.  There's a number 22 bus every 10 mins to take you back to Embra city centre.
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Accommodation Needed Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:14:15 am »
There are a couple of hundred B&Bs along by Murrayfield, and there's a big hotel at the Zoo, which isn't far away.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.