Author Topic: Accounting software  (Read 1285 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Accounting software
« on: 03 August, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »
Any recommendations for accounting software? So far I've been recommended www.xero.com which looks fantastic but I'm not sure about the montly price of £19, I'd prefer to buy something outright. I'm about to setup the business up so decided it'd be great to keep on top of all ins and outs and invoicing in one place, but not sure if I need something as advanced.

Any other recommendations or advice?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Accounting software
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »
All the small business I know seem to use Sage. You will end up paying some kind of annual fee at least as they update the thing to take into account all the changes in the budget etc. You can do your TAX and PAYE returns and so on directly from in Sage. Not sure how expensive it is or if it would be worth it for a very small business. Might be easier just to do some basic double entry book keeping and pay an accountant once a year.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
If you're going to have a proper accountant then see what they use.   My accountant gave me a copy of Quicken.  It made his job easier of course, but mine also.   The licence went when I ceased trading.   

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
GNUCash?
Pen Pusher

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »
Does anyone have any spreadsheets set up?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2010, 04:53:29 pm »
I've used Quicken for a number of years with no issues. They also have Quickbooks I believe.

Now using Ubuntu, I use spreadsheets for Daybooks etc and Grisbi for Banking.

However, 'tis better to use Quicken really as all Ledgers, Cash Book, Day Books, Budgets etc are linked and the only possibility of mistakes will be from your original entries which will be easier to check. They also have some pretty good reports all included in the price.
Try Quicken.com for current information.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:33:10 pm »

I've used Visual Accounts for years.  It's not that well known but it does the basics and is easy to use. They have a demo here visual accounts

My accountant would prefer that I used Sage, but he doesn't push it.  A lot will depend upon how complex your books become.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
I have used Money Manager for the last 20 years and to do my year end accounts I use their Final Accounts. Really easy to use. IR seem happy with it when I have had an inspection.

Money Manager-Introduction
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
I would echo Polar Bear. Choose your accountant first. I've had dealings with lots of small businesses who have chosen an accounts software package that their accountants know nothing about and have incurred additional accountancy fees as a consequence.

The advantage of Sage by the way is that you can start at the bottom of the range and move up as your business grows and or if it is necessary, with the minimum of fuss.

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »
Sage is dire, absolutely dire. My wife has to use it, as she inherited it with the job.

I've used Quickbooks and it is great for small businesses. as with any decent package, it will print the VAT and tax forms off for you.

However, I'd follow PBs suggestion and pick the accountant first.
<i>Marmite slave</i>