Author Topic: accoustic drums - practice pads  (Read 1000 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
accoustic drums - practice pads
« on: 21 October, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
younger guy is learning drums
so he needs to practice
we live in a victorian terrace - so 9" brick between us and each neighbour ...

Can anyone comment on how much the neighbours will hear if I buy him an accoustic drum kit and put those practice pad/cover things on each item?  Do the pads make a drum kit neighbour-friendly? (ie no worse than taller guy's accoustic guitar)

or shall I insulate the shed and put a proper (yale) lock on the door and run electricity/put a stand alone solar panel light thingy in to it?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Re: accoustic drums - practice pads
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »
The proper pads stop the boom boom bang completely. You just get a rattling tapping noise, like someone flicking a wooden board with their finger.

Decent practice pads are worth having - they give a good 'bounce' for the sticks, just like the real drum skins.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2011, 01:59:16 pm »
You might want to look at electronic drums...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »
You might want to look at electronic drums...

A schoolfriend of mine had both Proper Drums and electronic drums (noise wasn't an issue where they lived), but he ended up spending more time playing on the electronic kit than the real drums because he could drum along with music tracks either with or without the drum parts in them, without having to resort to seriously high volumes.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart