Author Topic: Amazon Returns - knackered laptop  (Read 1163 times)

Amazon Returns - knackered laptop
« on: 06 March, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »
Well, I've just gone round in circles on the Amazon site, so I'm hoping someone here has some advice.

I bought a Lenovo laptop from Amazon directly last May and the HDD has knackered. I want to return it. How the blinking flip do I do so? I can't seem to find anything other than sending things back within 30 days.

TIA
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Amazon Returns - knackered laptop
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »
Phone up Amazon Customer Service 07038806100 (Costly) was the number I last used.
Might be out of date.

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
Hope it helps some in a similar predicament, but I eventually got them to call me after wading through the Contact Us pages. It was clearly an offshore call centre, but the operator was efficient & helpful enough (& legible).

They sent me details of how to return the laptop and free labels for return via Yodel(?).

Anyway, it was simple enough in the end.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
If Yodel were involved, I'd imagine they were still waiting for it to be returned!  It would be poetic justice if they were as crap at delivering back to Amazon, as they are at delivering from Amazon to us customers.
Wombat

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
Yebbut, I won't be paid back then. As it is, they say payment is up to 4 weeks!!!

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »
I had a wireless cycle computer that failed after a few months. I contacted them via e-mail (from the 30 day return link I think) suggesting that the goods were faulty. They replied promptly sending a replacement together with the requisite labels for returning the duff unit. Although it wasn't of great value I was impressed by their response - and of course I didn't expect to be. It might be worth trying a similar approach.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:46:09 pm »
If you know the address then just simply send it with a letter with your demands.  Use Recorded Delivery or equivalent to get proof of receipt.

You don't need to ask permission or use a special system to get a repair/replacement/refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Amazon Returns - knackered laptop
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »
I've had a couple of occasions where I have needed a refund or replacement from Amazon, and I have to say that they have always had the finest attitude that I have ever encountered from any retailer.
Call the customer services, explain the situation, and more likely than not they will give you a postage paid label, that will get your item back to them and track it into their system, and pay you the refund.
Dont try to send stuff without a label, they handle too many packages and it will/may end up lost.
Amazons return service standard has caused me to very significantly increase the amount I buy from them.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
If you know the address then just simply send it with a letter with your demands.  Use Recorded Delivery or equivalent to get proof of receipt.

You don't need to ask permission or use a special system to get a repair/replacement/refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

No, you don't. But it is likely to go smoother for you if you do.

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:04:30 am »
Once I spoke to someone, all was fine. The only issue is that they insist on a refund rather than sending an equivalent replacement. Having said that, I've had 10 months of good service from a laptop for nothing. I did back-ups, so I won't lose any data, so I'm happy with that.