Author Topic: A very useful translation resource  (Read 1035 times)

A very useful translation resource
« on: 29 January, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »
Others may already know this, but I came across a very useful site for translation, Linguee, an "Editorial Dictionary"  English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese. It differs from standard translation resources in the way it operates (and doesn't do auto-translation) which gives you the words used in context. This makes it especially useful for when you know the language but are looking to find the correct local usage http://www.linguee.com/page/about.php describes more.

Re: A very useful translation resource
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:49:17 am »
Another resource http://en.bab.la/dictionary/ - looks like it is integrated into Linguee  but it covers more languages, too

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:01:03 am »
Excellent link, thank you.  :thumbsup:

It will be very very useful for me since I'm exactly in the situation you outline. I live in France, and speak if after a fashion, but often (very often) need to better understand the contexts in which words are used. You can go very wrong relying on just a dictionary!

Btw, I use reverso but I think Linguee will be an excellent addition.

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »
All useful stuff. I'm another who spends half their time in France but struggles with language.  What's more the natives have shocking accents and don't sound at all like my linguaphone examples.  Sometimes I think they are using Italian just to be awkward.  Unlike my English neighbour who speaks French I can (almost) understand.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:52:38 pm »
Excellent link, thank you.  :thumbsup:

It will be very very useful for me since I'm exactly in the situation you outline. I live in France, and speak if after a fashion, but often (very often) need to better understand the contexts in which words are used. You can go very wrong relying on just a dictionary!

Btw, I use reverso but I think Linguee will be an excellent addition.
My brother went to live in France on poor 'O'-level standard, after 6 months of hard work he was fluent, then passed a difficult exam and got a job teaching in a sixth-form college ...