Author Topic: Adding to the insulation on a hot water tank  (Read 1901 times)

Adding to the insulation on a hot water tank
« on: 02 September, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »
On our return from holiday the boiler decided not to fire up** necessitating the use of the emersion heater.  This highlighted the fact that the insulation on the tank is not as good as it could be.  It is a newish (less than 10yr maybe) foam covered tank but the imersion heater and pipe connections* are exposed, the pipes are lagged however.

It would not be too difficult to box in the tank and fill the boxing with insulation to cover all pipework associated with it.  I have read though that imersions and thermostats should not be covered as they will overheat and/or fail.  Anyone care to comment or suggest alternatives?

*It has a Surrey flange for a shower take off
** now repaired - gas control valve stuck

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Adding to the insulation on a hot water tank
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »
Traditional tank insulation jacket?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
A tank insulation jacket will help, but be sure it is big enough to cover the already insulated tank.  You could wrap insulation batts around it, cutting away around the head of the immersion heater.  I do not have documented evidence they should be left exposed, but I'm inclined to think its a reasonable idea.

I'm about to face the terrors of paying for a super-insulated mains pressure hot water cylinder...
Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2013, 09:46:14 am »
I'm about to face the terrors of paying for a super-insulated mains pressure hot water cylinder...

We have two different types both the same size in the French house in Creuse.  One fitted by me which gets slightly warm around the top sides and one fitted by a builder that gets really quite warm on its top surface.  So they are not all the same.  I do need to add insulation the the builders' one - we leave the bath towels on the top to act as insulation at the moment.

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:32:26 am »
We have two different types both the same size in the French house in Creuse. 

Completely OT, but coincidentally we'll be holidaying the the Creuse in a week or so - in a gite in Pun, near Aigurande.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2013, 11:30:10 am »
Interesting choice of holiday destination.  The Creuse is very quiet with not a lot to do except enjoy the outdoors and as such not a great tourist area.  We are about 50km almost due south of Pun where the scenery starts to get more rolling.  We love it and I'm sure you will as well.

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »
Our very elderly tank which is completely devoid of insulation behaved far better after taking advice from a very experienced plumber.

Wrapped it in kitchen foil and several duvets. What a difference!

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.