Author Topic: Aarggh! Damaged Samsung TV  (Read 1351 times)

Aarggh! Damaged Samsung TV
« on: 29 December, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »
I am feeling like a prize idiot!  I purchased one of these (of course while it was still £269 prior to the sale  ::-)), and then promptly damaged the screen while setting it up (it slid onto the bracket I was assembling!)  Aarghh! :-[ ::-) :-[

As you see. now available for £249.  Was looking forward to it for Christmas! :'(

The question is, knowing nothing about this new (to me) technology, is it worth considering a repair, rather than a replacement?  The insurance doesn't cover accidental damage.  Richer Sounds describe a standard repair policy for £40, but then the costs are completely unknown.

Does anyone have an idea of the repair costs of such things, or is it just not worth going there?

Turning it on, the screen just looks like like a smashed pane of safety glass.  Amazing what damage it's done.  Maybe similar to a dropped smart phone, just bigger?

Boo, hoo...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Aarggh! Damaged Samsung TV
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »
I'm afraid it sounds like a screen replacement rather than repair, which on that model is likely to be around £150 + labour if memory serves.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2014, 02:06:16 pm »
I'm afraid it sounds like a screen replacement rather than repair, which on that model is likely to be around £150 + labour if memory serves.

Many thanks, V.  That's the news I was expecting and fearing!  Thanks for helping me to get clearer on it.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
Worth checking your credit card terms (if you used one), some cover initial loss or damage.

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »
Worth checking your credit card terms (if you used one), some cover initial loss or damage.

Unfortunately, I used a debit card. :'(

« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2014, 11:44:20 am »
Might be worth checking your house insurance?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2014, 06:27:02 pm »
Dibs the internals if you get another ;)

I have a samsung TV with a broke inside thing, but a good screen.  Samsung repairer at the islington design center wanted £100 just to look.  Might be worth while to speak to richer sounds and see if they have repair type people who can help.

« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »
Might be worth checking your house insurance?

PH

Alas, no coverage for accidental damage.  Domage!

In an act of almost revolutionary generosity, I have freecycled the ailing device, and acquired another, which is satisfactorily functioning.