Author Topic: AAA rechargeables - any recommendations please?  (Read 3188 times)

AAA rechargeables - any recommendations please?
« on: 24 August, 2016, 10:19:55 am »
Looking at the backup Smart rear lights for the upcoming autumn and winter our supply of fujicell rechargeables is dwindling.   We don't often get anywhere near 500 recharges methinks.

Anyway, we're looking for something reasonable as it would appear that in the retail arena a pack of AAA rechargeables is not that much dearer than one shot Energisers or Duracells.   

What does the panel recommend please?

Just for clarity:  we're sorted for charging with two Technoline BL700's.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: AAA rechargeables - any recommendations please?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:36:32 am »
I use the 7dayshop ones: https://www.7dayshop.com/rechargeable-aaa-batteries/7dayshop-good-to-go-aaa-hr03-pre-charged-long-life-rechargeable-batteries-850mah-4-pack

They seem to work, though I'm nowhere close to 500 charges (you'd have to do an overnight ride every night for a year and a half to manage that).

I have the high-capacity "2900mAh" AAs for my GPS, which do a fair bit more work than the ones in rear lights - charging maybe twice a week.  I've recently bought a new set because they were starting to get tatty (outer skin unpeeling - not ideal for something you rely on and have to swap at the roadside), though the BL700 reports that the capacity is still around the 2.6Ah mark.  The old ones can go to some other device that gets its battery changed less often.

I've also got "good to go" AAs in my 4DToplight Multis, powering the standlight.  The thing they're most likely to die of is boredom.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:54:35 am »
I've also found the 7dayshop good-to-go batteries to be good.  Not quite Eneloop standard, but better than most.

This seems to be a good deal, same retailer but via Amazon and with free delivery.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:55:55 am »
I'd get the Eneloop Pro http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/panasonic-eneloop-pro-rechargeable-930mah-batteries-aaa-4-pack-n96ek
Doubtless the same cells are also available elsewhere with different branding.

I don't think anyone ever gets near the 500 cycles in real life, the cells getting replaced due to high resistance in the charger, low capacity, or high self-discharge rate well before.

It seems to me to be best not to have too many on the go together (i.e. one pair in use, one pair ready for use, per device), to replace before actually running flat, and to run a charge/discharge/charge cycle in the charger occasionally (once every 5-10 normal recharges).

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:04:18 am »
The name Eneloop (formerly made by Sanyo and now by Panasonic) cropped up frequently as being a good branded item when I was looking for rechargeable AAAs

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/panasonic-eneloop-batteries-aaa-750-mah-rechargeable-battery-pack-of-4-BK-4MCCE/4BE

I eneded up buying a bulk pack from somewhere else for general household gadgetry use and for the odd rear bike light, but have only charged them a few times so have no idea how they hold up - but apparently good for >2000 cycles.

Thinking about it now tho, I'd probably just get in a decent quantity of 'Good to Gos'  considering their ooomph to price ratio.

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
I bought an AA multi pack of the 7 day batteries some time ago. They are fine but do seem to self discharge quite quickly if left for some time.Will try Eneloops next time.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2016, 12:53:38 pm »
I bought an AA multi pack of the 7 day batteries some time ago. They are fine but do seem to self discharge quite quickly if left for some time.

Which ones?  The blue ones have a high self discharge rate, as a tradeoff for higher capacity.  Good for front lights and GPS receivers, but hopeless for rear lights where the batteries can last months - for those you want the green "good to go" ones.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »
FWIW, I'm still using the same bunch of AAAs which I bought from Technoline when I started cycling.
That was in 2006.

ETA- I've just looked - They're Uniross Hybrio.

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »
I bought an AA multi pack of the 7 day batteries some time ago. They are fine but do seem to self discharge quite quickly if left for some time.

Which ones?  The blue ones have a high self discharge rate, as a tradeoff for higher capacity.  Good for front lights and GPS receivers, but hopeless for rear lights where the batteries can last months - for those you want the green "good to go" ones.

Yes the blue ones.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2016, 03:18:16 pm »
I've also found the 7dayshop good-to-go batteries to be good.  Not quite Eneloop standard, but better than most.
Ditto. Don't hold their charge as well as my ancient Sonys, which I've been told are Eneloops with a different label, but better than other sub-Eneloop supposedly charge-holding AAAs I've tried. That makes what Mr. Tuy Cuyoejército calls the "ooomph to price ratio" rather good.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:06:24 pm »
Have to say that a Kim recommendation is more than good enough for me.   

Thanks to you all.   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2016, 09:41:42 pm »
When I was riding with that Teethgrinder a few months ago I noticed that he was using Maplin own-brand AAs to power his GPS. I possess quite a few of these and was surprised Steve was using them as I considered that they were nothing like as good as Eneloops. However, if they are good enough for Steve, and he used them during his Godwin attempt, they ought to be good enough for most of us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »
I use Vapextech ones http://www.vapextech.co.uk/
Normally via ebay....
They're cheap and do a great job.  Last Christmas I bought 2000 AA batteries for the electric "candles" we used at work and they were great.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 26 August, 2016, 11:26:09 am »
I tested Sanyo Eneloop XX (now found branded as Eneloop Pro) AAs and published the results in Arrivee 116 (May 2012) page 11 which is available online here:
http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/2012may/

Bottom line, they significantly out-performed - and out-measured - the best of the rest, which included at that time 7DayShop 2900 and Ansmann MaxE+ both of which are also very good.  By significantly I mean 10%-20% better, in run time and/or measured capacity.  They also out-perform Energizer Lithiums (non-rechargable of course!) although there are many applications where the particular strengths of the Lithiums (light weight, long shelf life) make then the better option. 
I'm still using the Eneloops XX cells I tested in 2012 (and the Ansmanns as well) on a regular basis.

For AAA I'd have no hesitation in going for Eneloop Pro (eg from Amazon).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
Another very satisfied Eneloop user here.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »
I made the mistake of putting two eneloops through the washing machine. Only 50% of them seem to have survived.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2016, 03:47:12 pm »
Anyone got a comment on AAAs?   :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
There are some links to recommended cells up the way ^ (those showing < 1000 mAh).

They are the same as AA except smaller, so comments about what's good, how long they last etc apply equally to both.

The main thing to note is that charging rates should be proportional to capacity, so charge time is constant. If your charger allows you to select charge rate, and you charge AA at 1 A, charge AAA at 300-350 mA.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:18:20 pm »
Would anyone like 4 x 750m Ah Duracell AAAs that now need rehoming?

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »
Yup. Another very satisfied AAA Eneloop user here.
Rust never sleeps

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2016, 06:32:27 pm »
Vapex every time.

I highly recommend their low self-discharge batteries.  They are slightly down on capacity compared to their regular Nimhs but you can charge them and leave them. They also last considerably longer when left in your devices.

I've used Vapex on 2 PBP rides now.. and everything in between.  I also use their smart charger.

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/standard-rechargables/aa/
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 27 August, 2016, 10:09:26 am »
The Vapex cells I tried must have been forgeries, because they wouldn't hold any meaningful charge at all.  It happens - I've also had some Sanyo-branded cells like this.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll