Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512155 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
How long do they take to microwave?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Depends on how much spud and microwave power.
My oven is 700W and I do about 300g of 'hard' (potato, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip) veg in 8-10 minutes.
Just put in a lidded Pyrex bowl or casserole and cut/puncture all skins.

Zap till soft.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT just made dog biscuits. AFAIK oats, carrots, peanut butter, flour & eggs. Duly approved by dogs.  Might try one myself later when they're not looking.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Deceased former rally driver Roger Clark was nicknamed "Porky" by his mechanics for his habit of snorking anything edible within a 200 yard radius of his car every time said mechanics were working on it.  Legend has it that he pronounced Winalot to be "excellent".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Read that ^^^ as snorting. :o

Missus's dog biscuits aren't bad with butter. A bit low on salt, though.

Deceased former rally driver Roger Clark was nicknamed "Porky" by his mechanics for his habit of snorking anything edible within a 200 yard radius of his car every time said mechanics were working on it.  Legend has it that he pronounced Winalot to be "excellent".

ObligRedDwarf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKafB6XB08
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have been making more buttery mash.
I will get FAT!
I won't be the only 'lock-down' fattie!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Made a white loaf today – no wholemeal flour. Noticed that it comes out of the breadmaker tin much more cleanly (less sticking) than wholemeal. Don't know why this is.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We unearthed a venison roast in the freezer on Friday.

Saturday: Hm, not bad at all
Sunday: Much better today
Monday: Oh god, that bloody stuff again.

Food wholesalers are, for obvious reasons, stuck wit stock. So some have decided to sell direct to the public.

https://www.joinfoodchain.com/

Depending on where you live, there are some bargains to be had.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Food wholesalers are, for obvious reasons, stuck wit stock. So some have decided to sell direct to the public.

Miss von Brandenburg reports that, after an initial worrying shortage, she now has enough porridge oats to survive a prolonged Pockyclypse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Garriguettes in Aldi today, alongside mere strawbs from Spain.  Trouble is that since people cottoned on to them the quality is cellar-bound. Here's hoping...

rr

Only meat, and mostly cow, here.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's delivered ALL the pies & chocolates I ordered today.
Oh dear!

Only meat, and mostly cow, here.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I think it’s been a bit too successful. I ordered fish, that should have been delivered today, but might well be Friday, so I’d guess that vendor has taken down their offering until they can catch up.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Making bread last night. House wasn't particularly warm and in a bit of a rush. Realised the small oven we have goes down to 50c popped in to aid proving and got home made bread for lunch today.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Realised the small oven we have goes down to 50c

My baking has really taken off (almost literally) since we got our new oven six months ago - not only because it actually takes less than two hours to work itself up to temperatures above 200ºC but also because it has a 'Rising' setting which gives 30-40ºC.

It also has a load of other special settings that seem mostly pointless, of course. The next model up had steam injection, but we didn't feel that was worth the extra cost. Would have been useful for breadmaking though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ditto. We had several cheap/free ovens before we got a decent range cooker and everything took longer. Now as long as I can keep in yeast and flour...

Realised the small oven we have goes down to 50c

My baking has really taken off (almost literally) since we got our new oven six months ago - not only because it actually takes less than two hours to work itself up to temperatures above 200ºC but also because it has a 'Rising' setting which gives 30-40ºC.

It also has a load of other special settings that seem mostly pointless, of course. The next model up had steam injection, but we didn't feel that was worth the extra cost. Would have been useful for breadmaking though.

I've had that for 20+ years, and it was the key feature that I wanted when I replaced the old one, the sheer ease and convenience is another reason I just don't do sourdough. I'm guessing it is a Neff (I don't think that other makes have this), so one piece of advice I'd pass on is to make sure you operate the "slide'n'hide" door squarely, preferably with two hands, over time if you don't it can develop wear and ping out with unpleasant consequences.

Although I would have said I don't use all the settings, actually from time to time they are useful. The circotherm intensive is dead good for searing a roast. Bottom heat for pastry gives better results than fan. Defrost actually works well if you have the time. Grill and half grill are obvious, the bread baking setting I don't think does anything special but is handy just to turn to.

(and, JF, this is a bottom heat so lets you put water on the floor and you don't have to cover the dough as it raises the humidity)

citoyen

I'm guessing it is a Neff (I don't think that other makes have this)

It's from Ikea - may well be made by Neff for all I know!

We did look at a model with the slide'n'hide door but it was just a bit too expensive.

(and, JF, this is a bottom heat so lets you put water on the floor and you don't have to cover the dough as it raises the humidity)

The bread setting provides top+bottom heat. I do the roasting-tin-of-water-in-the-bottom-of-the-oven thing for steam. The dial only goes up to 220ºC for that setting but according to my oven thermometer it reaches well in excess of 250ºC after a while.  :o

I *only* do sourdough. Purist, innit. Or hipster dad twat, if you prefer. The extra time it takes is part of the fun. Even with oven-assisted proving, it does take at least twice as long as dough made with baker's yeast. Proving sourdough croissants is done in the fridge - the whole process takes three days if you do it properly. The results are totally worth it.

I currently have a pizza sourdough fermenting in the fridge for tomorrow night's dinner.

Sour dough will be tried at some point but due to the flour shortage I think I'll stick to what I know works for now. Alas my oven doesn't have a bread feature apary from the handy low temp for proving but seems to do a decent job.

ian

Our oven has about a dozen settings. I know what three of them do (grill, fan, and boost). I'm pretty scared by the other settings.

I could have read the manual, but that's a bad path.

citoyen

As far as I can tell, all the 'special' settings on our oven are just rebranding of the basic settings. So I think the bread setting is essentially just the same as the top+bottom convection setting (rather than the default setting which is forced air). You just get the bonus of it saying 'bread' in the LCD. Which is handy in case you forget what it was you put in the oven 20 minutes ago...

Interesting about the Ikea feature set. Interestingly (?) on the Neff, the bread baking setting is basically 220 fan, not sure there is any difference between that and a fan 220 setting, the convenience is that you just turn it on, rather than turn it on and change the temp. Also, IME fan works better than top & bottom for bread (but not pizza). Another downside to sourdough chez Ham Hall, is that Mrs Ham doesn't particularly like it....

My breadmaking timeline is to shove the dough in for 25 mins, knock back into the tin, another 25 mins and then 45 min @ 220 (including warm up), 5 minutes out the tin, perfect results every time.

Some of the special settings on mine are "rebranding", but most are actually different and (at least occasionally) useful

Fwiw my baking temps/times for an ordinary white loaf (500g flour, 10g salt 20g light olive oil, 10g fresh yeast to 300g water) are knead approx 10 mins then prove room temperature approx one and a half hours (less in Summer) knock back and shape second prove for one (approx) one hour, 20 mins before end prove time wack oven onto about 230 fan to heat up when time score top of loaf and put in oven, after ten mins drop to 200 fan bake for a further 17 mins, out onto cooling rack and slap any fingers creeping toward the load until properly cool. 😊
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.