Author Topic: Olympic track cycling *with spoilers*  (Read 24598 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Olympic track cycling *with spoilers*
« Reply #50 on: 03 August, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
Remember, if you don't want pundits, red button and pick the events from the A-Z.  I haven't missed a second of the weightlifting. :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #51 on: 03 August, 2012, 07:57:37 pm »
Remember, if you don't want pundits, red button and pick the events from the A-Z.  I haven't missed a second of the weightlifting. :smug:

Not enough bandwidth on freeview - you get BBC1, BBC3 and 301 video only.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

AndyK

« Reply #52 on: 03 August, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »
What the f*** was that? A brief five second glimpse of Vicky getting her gold medal. F***ing useless BBC!
You can't keep everyone happy :) (there are another squillion events to show.)

Personally, I'd rather they had shown the Keirin B final while Cav blathered on, rather than showing Cav & co with the b final in the background!

Seems to me the Beeb think their talking heads in the studio are more important than what's happening in the arena. We had a few minutes of Gary Walkers talking crap then a five second glimpse of Vicky receiving her medal. Shite coverage, absolutely shite.

« Reply #53 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »
Calm down! I'm sure they'll replay it at least 7,348 times over the next few days!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #54 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:30:14 pm »
And after the men's TP, one of our bikes taken off the track wearing a San Marco Rolls! I thought they would all be carbon jobs. Still, one has to be comfortable at work, doesn't one?  ;D

I noticed that. Those venerable armchairs crop up in all sorts of unexpected situations, don't they? You'll see them supporting pro roadies' arses during winter base building too. Most of the rest seemed to be sitting on SLR variants and the odd Arione. </saddlenerd>
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #55 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »
Calm down! I'm sure they'll replay it at least 7,348 times over the next few days!

It's on BBC1 now.

« Reply #56 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »
Anyone know how come Hong Kong compete separately from China?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #57 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
What the f*** was that? A brief five second glimpse of Vicky getting her gold medal. F***ing useless BBC!

Personally, I'd rather they had shown the Keirin B final while Cav blathered on, rather than showing Cav & co with the b final in the background!

Seems to me the Beeb think their talking heads in the studio are more important than what's happening in the arena. We had a few minutes of Gary Walkers talking crap then a five second glimpse of Vicky receiving her medal. Shite coverage, absolutely shite.
But they didn't cut away from the medal ceremony just to show blethers; they cut to the swimming. I think it's reasonable to not show a medal ceremony if you're cutting it short to show live events.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jakob

« Reply #58 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:36:58 pm »
WRT the crash being deliberate or not.

Sport is about winning. Winning means beating your opponant within the rules. To win takes practice to be adept at the gameplay and it takes practice to be adept at tactics. *if* he took a tactical crash, in order to force a restart, he has executed a masterful tactical stroke, at risk of injury, that worked.

Absolute bullshit. If a Spanish football player took a dive in the semi-final of the WC to earn a penalty against England, everyone would be up in arms about foreign cheats.
Nobody would call it a 'masterful tactical stroke'.

Chris Hoy stands for me as one of the ultimate sportsmen, but this badly sours it. That gold medal is worth nothing.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #59 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »

From what I saw even Cav would rather have watched the B final. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #60 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »
Anyone know how come Hong Kong compete separately from China?

See the Wikipedia article "Hong Kong at the Olympics":

As permitted under its constitution as agreed upon handover from the United Kingdom (specifically, Article 151, Chapter 7 of The Basic Law), it "may, on its own, ... maintain and develop relations and conclude and implement agreements with foreign states and regions and relevant international organizations in the appropriate fields, including the economic, trade, financial and monetary, shipping, communications, tourism, cultural and sports fields."

« Reply #61 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »
Thanks, Gareth. I JFGI'd it myself too.

Great reaction from the Hong Kong rider who took bronze in the keirin. She had the biggest smile on the podium ;D

« Reply #62 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:17:34 pm »

BBC covered it in full on their data service available by retuning Freeview or Freesat.

Agree that BBC could have covered it in full as it was a GOLD, but it is not the first time they have missed a live presentation.  Fortunately, they have all been available on one of the many extra channels provided.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #63 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:19:21 pm »
Sorry this is a second freeview post, but how many screens do those of you who have full freeview get? On freeview lite here we only get three video feeds.

« Reply #64 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:22:29 pm »
Same here.

« Reply #65 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »
Sorry this is a second freeview post, but how many screens do those of you who have full freeview get? On freeview lite here we only get three video feeds.
Are you limited on Red Button option?

I have quite a few via my Freesat and the Red Button option via my Freeview has slightly less, but still more than the BBC1/2/3 options.

The Freeview retune even gave me Dave, which as it is pretty well just Top gear repeats is one I will not be using.

AndyK

« Reply #66 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:42:09 pm »
We get BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 301 and BBC News24 BBC Parliament and a couple of BBC kids channels. When Vicky P won almost immediately it cut to Lineker jabbering crap for a few minutes, then as an afterthought we got five seconds of a medal being put around VP's neck. Shite.

Too much talking heads not enough arena.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #67 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:47:37 pm »
I won a fiver on the women's keirin. Thank you very much Mr William Hill.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #68 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
We get BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 301 and BBC News24 BBC Parliament and a couple of BBC kids channels. When Vicky P won almost immediately it cut to Lineker jabbering crap for a few minutes, then as an afterthought we got five seconds of a medal being put around VP's neck. Shite.

Have you tried Red Button?

Currently have live basketball and boxing via this service.  BBC1 have athletics and BBC3 also have boxing.  I managed to watch cycling via the data service and had BBC1 as PIP just to cover both options.  Red Button is providing additional live coverage.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #69 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »
WRT the crash being deliberate or not.

Sport is about winning. Winning means beating your opponant within the rules. To win takes practice to be adept at the gameplay and it takes practice to be adept at tactics. *if* he took a tactical crash, in order to force a restart, he has executed a masterful tactical stroke, at risk of injury, that worked.

Absolute bullshit. If a Spanish football player took a dive in the semi-final of the WC to earn a penalty against England, everyone would be up in arms about foreign cheats.
Nobody would call it a 'masterful tactical stroke'.

Chris Hoy stands for me as one of the ultimate sportsmen, but this badly sours it. That gold medal is worth nothing.

New to track cycling are we?

a great mind thinks alike

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #70 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:04:29 pm »

Have you tried Red Button?

Currently have live basketball and boxing via this service.  BBC1 have athletics and BBC3 also have boxing.  I managed to watch cycling via the data service and had BBC1 as PIP just to cover both options.  Red Button is providing additional live coverage.

Those of us who aren't in range of a main mast only get two muxes compared to six on the main masts, so fewer red button options (and other things like ITV4 and Dave are missing as well). That's why I referred to it as freeview lite

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Well, Jakob, the Hindes "fall" was, according to Mr Boardman, covered by and within the rules just as the ladies' hand over broke them. You can't change the rules retrospectively, can you now?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »
Those of us who aren't in range of a main mast only get two muxes compared to six on the main masts, so fewer red button options (and other things like ITV4 and Dave are missing as well). That's why I referred to it as freeview lite

Understood.

Used to have 'freeview lite' and did not change anything except for recent retune and suddenly got more options (including ITV4 that was only available via the Freesat).  Assumed signal must have been boosted as old analogue/digital mix resulted in a compomise.

Tried a full retune?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #73 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »

Understood.

Used to have 'freeview lite' and did not change anything except for recent retune and suddenly got more options (including ITV4 that was only available via the Freesat).  Assumed signal must have been boosted as old analogue/digital mix resulted in a compomise.

Tried a full retune?

Really going OT now, but yes I have :)

« Reply #74 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
Really going OT now, but yes I have :)

Then my sincere apologies and sympathy.

You live too far away to come and watch at my place.

I would like to say that you are not missing much but ..................

I was lucky when I move to this house as previous owners left the sat dish and I just purchased a Freesat.