Author Topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe  (Read 148135 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Reply #300 on: 03 June, 2016, 05:49:37 pm »
And the same goes for USAnians who think SCIENTISTS work in labratories.

It's where the labrats are kept, innit.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #301 on: 03 June, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »
Miss Z the younger pronounces "library" as "lah-bray".  This seems worryingly common in the village.

It's incredible that young people these days even know the word, never mind how to say it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #303 on: 03 June, 2016, 10:52:33 pm »
"Would of"  "Should of"
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #304 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »
Annoyingly, this pronunciation is probably correct, but I was listening to Joanna Lumley read On Her Majesty's Secret Service the other day, where she kept referring to an Italian car as a "Lanch-ah", rather than the anglicised "Lan-seer".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #305 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:12:32 pm »
Annoyingly, this pronunciation is probably correct, but I was listening to Joanna Lumley read On Her Majesty's Secret Service the other day, where she kept referring to an Italian car as a "Lanch-ah", rather than the anglicised "Lan-seer".

Joanna Lumley is allowed to pronounce things however she wants.

It's the Law.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #306 on: 06 June, 2016, 07:02:03 pm »
Slovlish?

Growing up we were often scolded for speaking half-на-пів, aka Ukrainglish.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #307 on: 07 June, 2016, 10:04:06 am »
Hilary Clinton on the idiot-box just now

"...I have been the Secra-tery of State..."

"ter" pronounced as in "tern"
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #308 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:09:06 am »
"Tern" with a southron R or a real one?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #309 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:17:49 am »
I've never thought of calling a Lancia a 'Lanseer'.  To me. it'd be like saying 'makizmo' when meaning that fine Spanish word machismo ('machissmo'), or 'Byoonuss Air-ez' instead of 'Bwennoss Eye-ress', or the 'J' in Rio de Janeiro as in 'jam'. But I do say Meksiko & Kyooba.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #310 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:21:46 am »
I think the pronunciation intended by "Lan-seer" was "Larn see er". 'Seer' as in one who is currently seeing (two syllables).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #311 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:56:15 am »
Turmeric :demon: . The shibboleth of the daytime TV celebrity chef.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #312 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:58:54 am »
As in the way David Attenborough would say "Arctic Tern"
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #313 on: 07 June, 2016, 12:53:51 pm »

I've never thought of calling a Lancia a 'Lanseer'.  To me. it'd be like saying 'makizmo' when meaning that fine Spanish word machismo ('machissmo'), or 'Byoonuss Air-ez' instead of 'Bwennoss Eye-ress', or the 'J' in Rio de Janeiro as in 'jam'. But I do say Meksiko & Kyooba.

Yes, but you probably also refuse to say lah-tay and koritzo.
These are words that have been anglicised in exactly the same way that only pretentious wankers in the UK say Pareee.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #314 on: 07 June, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
As in the way David Attenborough would say "Arctic Tern"

I have rarely heard the gent.

« Reply #315 on: 07 June, 2016, 03:15:15 pm »

Yes, but you probably also refuse to say lah-tay and koritzo.
These are words that have been anglicised in exactly the same way that only pretentious wankers in the UK say Pareee.
I had to think about lah-tay for a moment.  ;D

Ah, choritho/choriso (both valid, depending on your preferred variety of Spanish)! It's one of those words which I really don't understand the mutilation of. As long as the ch is pronounced as in church, the i as in it, & the stress is somewhere near the middle, all of which are perfectly normal in English, it's pretty close to the original, & sounds fine. Why would anyone want to use the pronunciation of the wrong foreign language?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #316 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:03:54 pm »
I'm with the esteemed fboab, if you're speaking English, pronounce it as English, rather than pretentious faux-foreign. Chorizo is chore-eez-o and latte is lat-tay (no lah'ing about it, that's just the foul estuarines and their brackish linguistic affectations). You should hear an Italian pronounce 'steak and kidney' before any words are said about the British pronounciation of latte.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #317 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »
Everyone knows that latte rhymes with this place: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=371365&Y=182608&A=Y&Z=120
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #318 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:09:28 pm »
Nope - too many t's.

Ian -

Yeah, fine. Choreezo & lattay are OK. Infinitely preferable to the faux-foreign versions that get the bloody languages wrong. Though I don't know what's wrong with saying 'milk' instead of saying it in (usually mispronounced) Italian.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #319 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »
^^^Tend to agree, but not 100%.  It depends on how well-known the correct pronunciations are. Someone talking about Lyon as if it's a singular Corner House sounds daft, ditto a English-speaker talking about Paree. Putting a T on the end of Camembert sounds bloody ignorant. Etc.

« Reply #320 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:12:47 pm »
Mrs Pcolbeck's pronunciation when she is navigating in France. Its probably correct as she does speak some French but I don't speak any (never even did French at school). She insists on giving me directions with all the place names pronounced in French which doesn't help when I am reading the signs as they come up phonetically.
We argue about this, quite a lot ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #321 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
When we were driving round our new area when we first got to France we referred to La Ferté Alais as Farty Alice.

« Reply #322 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »
When we were driving round our new area when we first got to France we referred to La Ferté Alais as Farty Alice.

:thumbsup: That would do me for navigational purposes T42.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #323 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:24:35 pm »
And it's pretty easy to guess what we called this place when we were staying nearby.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #324 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »
Nope - too many t's.
Nope, cos it's a joke to do with gentrification. The town is pronounced "yeht" the joke is that it's now "yah-tay".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.