Author Topic: [LEL17] Getting involved - volunteering on LEL  (Read 5370 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
[LEL17] Getting involved - volunteering on LEL
« on: 01 October, 2016, 03:25:28 pm »
For those who read these posts and are in awe of the distances these people ride, and for those who think it sounds interesting but have never ridden even a 200, I thought I’d start a topic to encourage more people to volunteer.

I was in that position in 2013 when I decided to take a week off work along with my daughter and help at Market Rasen, without a clue of what to expect. At the end of that week I felt I’d been part of a life-affirming event and I left having played a small part helping ordinary cyclists to achieve the truly remarkable. I also left with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I parted from my new found friends with whom I’d shared a brilliant, brilliant time.

We gathered over a weekend and were assigned a variety of tasks which we all completed as well as we could in preparation for the arrival of the riders. There was no one checking our performance or barking out orders and things were very relaxed, and we all had plenty of time to share our life and cycling stories. Despite the communications available I remember that we were expecting a flood of cyclists at some point but it really started as a trickle which allowed us to refine our duties in food serving, card stamping, bike repairing, computer logging and the occasional bed booking.
However, our particular duties had no effect on our enjoyment. The over-riding importance was that we were united in a common aim to get this bunch of cyclists to Edinburgh and back and to help them in any way we could (even if it meant cleaning the loos!). And they were all SO appreciative of our work and delighted to share with us the tales of the road that we did feel entirely engaged in their desire for success.

The hours were certainly long, and sleep almost as limited as the riders – I remember emerging from a few hours kip having left a quiet dining hall and returning to a place packed with bodies, dripping jackets and shoes everywhere. Our beds were full and there were sleeping heads both on and under the tables but we carried on with a cheery air as the ‘bulge’ passed through.
There were a large number of those on the return leg close to the time limit, and we certainly saw every possible symptom of exhaustion at some point during the week, and it was delightful to see the northbound riders that we’d previously chatted to heading south, closing in on their target.

Come the end of the week my daughter and I left along with the last few riders as we had a family holiday planned. I felt so guilty leaving the others to clear up.
I heartily recommend that if you have time available, whether it be a whole week or just a day, that you think about getting involved – the organisers will be forever grateful and so will the riders. This applies especially to anyone in Yorkshire as I’ve been entrusted with running the Barnard Castle control this time and need all the help I can get!

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer/

This post is not officially sanctioned, it’s written from the heart (though I’m sure the organisers will appreciate it). It would be perfect if other volunteers could add their experiences below, too.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Getting involved - volunteering on LEL
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »
I managed to lend a hand at Loughton, Barnie, Pock and Market Rasen last time, and would heartily recommend volunteering.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2016, 03:39:04 pm »
Hopefully I won't be in hospital this time...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
Was at Lea Valley in 2009 and Pocklington in 2013; looking forward to next year's stint of sleep deprivation and, optionally, leopards.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »
We're considering volunteering this time and so is a friend of ours.   I can fix bikes and wield a mop so hopefully I might be of some use.

« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
along with my daughter

If you don't mind me asking, how old was she?

How old were other children who were there along with their parents? I'm guessing that a 7 year old would only complicate matters and require too much attention.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2016, 08:28:32 pm »

If you don't mind me asking, how old was she?

She was 17, and we had no younger volunteers at Market Rasen. I'm sure there are guidelines for this, but I see that under 18's have to be accompanied.
Incidentally, she had a great time too, and came along as a way of passing away the long summer holiday - she still doesn't cycle, but now has a passion bordering on obsession with professional cycle racing. She'll be back in 2017
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »
Was at Lea Valley in 2009 and Pocklington in 2013; looking forward to next year's stint of sleep deprivation and, optionally, leopards.

Leopards?

Not leotards?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2016, 10:08:48 pm »
Definitely leopards.  You probably had to be there.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2016, 12:21:22 am »
Great stuff. My plan is to be on a bike, but I have also signed up as a volunteer for Loughton on the days up to the start. Here's another great account by a 2013 volunteer: http://balancingontwowheels.com/2013/07/volunteering-at-lel-2013/
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2016, 05:31:05 am »
I normally donate a week's leave volunteering on scout jamborees, but next year I have decided to help with LEL. Form submitted.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »
Really hope to help at this although can probably only commit a couple of days to it

« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:51:53 pm »
As a participant in 2013 I can honestly say the efforts of the volunteers are very much appreciated by those riding. Hope to see you next year.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:12:28 pm »
Volunteering in 2013 at Brampton was great fun but you'd have to like staying awake for a long time and really, really want to help people riding long distance bike events

Would do it again

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14 on: 03 October, 2016, 05:34:35 am »
Here's my blog post about volunteering at LEL last time: http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/volunteering-at-lel2013-audax/
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:08:30 am »
Didn't realise that Brampton was the busiest control when I volunteered in 2013. Doing Alston this time.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #16 on: 03 October, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »
Oh, go on then! Form submitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #17 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:24:46 pm »
I really fancied riding but my fitness and a general shortage of money put an end to that. So I thought, why not volunteer and be a part of the event. I spoke to my wife about it (she doesn't ride) and she thought it was such a good idea she did it as well. We have now both volunteered, putting down the Louth control although we can be flexible. We will commit a week to it, probably taking the caravan so that we can go on for a holiday afterwards.

Never done this sort of thing before, don't quite know what to expect, but really looking forward to it.

« Reply #18 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:40:03 am »
I volunteered after reading about LEL in Arrivee and having been a GamesMaker at the London 2012 Paralympics. At the Games I'd been outside Olympic Park greeting and directing spectators with a big foam hand  :thumbsup: and LEL felt a lot like that, welcoming riders from all over the world. Combining that international flavour with my love of technology made running the front desk at Great Easton a fun holiday.

It was hard work with next to no sleep but the riders were very appreciative, I met some great people like Tomsk and Auntie Helen, and really enjoyed the experience. I'll be back next year.

« Reply #19 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
I'll be back next year.

That's very good news indeed!

« Reply #20 on: 04 October, 2016, 06:05:35 pm »
If you've registered on our website, you should have received an email with details about your allocated control, travel expenses, and our search for people who can take on a bit more responsibility during the event.

If it hasn't arrived, check your junk folder. If it's not there either, message me.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #21 on: 04 October, 2016, 08:53:00 pm »
I haven't registered, since we have 5 other school holidays to negotiate Cub-allocation for before we get to Summer 2017 so I haven't got a scooby if I'm free or not. I presume volunteer registration will stay open for a good long time yet?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »
Similarly, I'm in no state to make plans that far off.

« Reply #23 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:07:54 pm »
Not a problem. We'll be glad of your application right up to the wire, though you may end up with a sub-optimal t-shirt size.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #24 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:54:03 pm »
I have form for that :)