Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164560 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:58:22 pm »
if he's coming to uk in april it would be good to ride along every now and then, especially if he spends some time in his favourite richmond park.

Sticking to Richmond Park could be a sensible strategy with Canyon's UK office being in Kingston. He might start craving a bit of variety before he reaches the target of 12,000 laps though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2015, 06:40:11 pm »
The flight is only about 24 hours. Getting over jet lag doesn't take a week, particularly if he can ride any hour of the day instead of fitting into office hours.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »
Excellent - he's introduced ANOTHER variable that we'll never be able to evaluate for certain :)

Ridiculous fag-packet sums just to kick-start things:
I guess you have to add all the usual door-to-door faffing to that 24h. And then he'll lose SOME performance over the following few days. So doubling that means something over 550 miles lost? So that's about 3mpd over the 6 months of extra "summer".

Which isnt much - so hopefully he wont lost much more than that 500 miles.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2015, 07:56:31 pm »
Sticking to Richmond Park could be a sensible strategy with Canyon's UK office being in Kingston. He might start craving a bit of variety before he reaches the target of 12,000 laps though.

doing it cw and acw could give some variety.. ;D

in any case i suspect he won't be avoiding hills which will provide more choice for routes and add to the excitement

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »
Depending which way his plane flies to and from Aus, he could gain a couple of days in the style of Philias Fogg.  O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »
I wonder if there's enything in the roolz about drafting a 747 ? ;D

« Reply #31 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:32:10 pm »
Depending which way his plane flies to and from Aus, he could gain a couple of days in the style of Philias Fogg.  O:-)

id ride from Adelaide (base last year for the month) to Sydney, fly to LA, RAAM, then back to the UK or to Spain and ride north back to the UK

easy if you say it quick

red marley

« Reply #32 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:39:22 pm »
I realise that if its within the current UMCA HAMR rules people can do what they want, but if in the future this challenge becomes one that can only be achieved by chasing the good weather around the globe, relies on lots of on the road support and big bucks, it's one that will lose its appeal for me.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:53:22 pm »
in my view, the optimal way would be to start in southern spain for the winter, then ride north* for summer and go back to southern spain in late autumn.

*use flatish cycle-friendly countries like france, netherlands, sweden, finland..

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #34 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:56:01 pm »
I realise that if its within the current UMCA HAMR rules people can do what they want, but if in the future this challenge becomes one that can only be achieved by chasing the good weather around the globe, relies on lots of on the road support and big bucks, it's one that will lose its appeal for me.
I'm inclined to agree but OTOH the Sun can be chased quite adequately from the UK at the cost of only a 1 hour ferry and those in the smaller portion of the Northern American continent don't even have that impediment.  I do think in the long term it'll be more and more about the Alacia until they are as important as the Kurt meaning future Steves have no hope.  I think there's a few marginal gains to be had yet before it has to be a very pro endevour.  I think this year proves they will be marginal though, Tommy Godwin will forever be the last to put a great gob of miles on the record.

I could, of course, be completely wrong.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:58:28 am »
The Pan-America Highway by riding a 'three steps forward, two steps back' affair.

« Reply #36 on: 01 December, 2015, 08:05:26 am »

I'll reserve judgement until I see what the long-term effects are. That will be the limiting factor in how much money can be thrown at the problem. At some point participants are technically 'at work', and those employing them bear responsibility for their welfare.
What happens to Steve and Kurt after they stop will show how viable a more formal arrangement would be.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:43:26 pm »
https://youtu.be/UVNj00fyFeQ

Bit more from Bruce.

Still no indication that he's doing this under UMCA HAMR though - anyone know?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »
if he's coming to uk in april it would be good to ride along every now and then, especially if he spends some time in his favourite richmond park.

I'll look out for him on my irregular commutes.  See if I can overtake him on my steel bike with panniers  :smug: :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2015, 06:52:50 pm »
I thought Guinness said that they would not entertain the record again (as it is too dangerous?).  I thought that was what started Steve out on the route to talking with the UMCA.

I hope that he undertakes it under the same rules as Kurt and Steve, pointless otherwise (sort of like his Guinness monthly/weekly "records" which have clearly been bettered by Kurt and Steve).
Right! What's next?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:24:57 pm »
Is he an Aussie who has lost some of his accent or an ossified Aussified Brit?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #41 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:37:20 pm »
A Kiwi.

« Reply #42 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:14:07 am »
I thought Guinness said that they would not entertain the record again (as it is too dangerous?).  I thought that was what started Steve out on the route to talking with the UMCA.

I hope that he undertakes it under the same rules as Kurt and Steve, pointless otherwise (sort of like his Guinness monthly/weekly "records" which have clearly been bettered by Kurt and Steve).
Kajsa Tylen, who is attempting to set a woman's record is doing it under the auspices of guiness, not UMCA.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #43 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:29:14 pm »
Guinness limit you to one machine and having to start  from where you finished the night before. Why would anyone attempt either the men's or women's records with these rules?

Modern bikes need to be regularly maintained so that means unlike Billie and Tommy you need a second machine to ride whilst the other one is being serviced.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #44 on: 10 December, 2015, 02:19:01 pm »

Kajsa Tylen, who is attempting to set a woman's record is doing it under the auspices of guiness, not UMCA.

Well that is odd. And as HK suggests is not really appropriate for a modern attempt (and surely Bruce will fall foul of the starting each day where you finished rule unless his bike has flotation devices attached for the ride back to Britain). 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #45 on: 10 December, 2015, 05:49:07 pm »
Guinness limit you to one machine and having to start  from where you finished the night before. Why would anyone attempt either the men's or women's records with these rules?

Modern bikes need to be regularly maintained so that means unlike Billie and Tommy you need a second machine to ride whilst the other one is being serviced.
Plus no drafting - which makes it hard to ride with other people at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #46 on: 12 December, 2015, 08:52:34 pm »
Interesting to see his 2015 mileage is just under 30k miles  :o
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #47 on: 12 December, 2015, 09:12:53 pm »
Maybe he's being sensible and not wasting his effort on miles which won't count towards his record attempt, like Steve did?  If you look at Steve's Strava weekly totals, the only weeks he's managed more than 1540 miles (220 mpd mean) were in late June and early July, when it was already virtually certain that a restart would be necessary to launch a viable attempt. 

Even before he's turned a pedal in anger, Bruce strikes me as much more likely than Steve to take the record.

« Reply #48 on: 12 December, 2015, 09:26:13 pm »
apart from January 2015 when he did just short of 10,000km ?

he's been doing 30-40 hours a week for at least the last few years he's been on Strava

this link has some good info on his background (apologies if its been posted before)

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/01/10000km-in-a-month-the-story-of-bruce-berkeley/

paul851

« Reply #49 on: 17 December, 2015, 04:43:00 pm »
It would seem Bruce is going the Kurt Searvogel route for his record attempt bike.
https://twitter.com/cycle_dr1

Paul