Author Topic: brooks saddles  (Read 4646 times)

dobo

• northern monkey
brooks saddles
« on: 10 January, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »
looking to buy a brooks saddle for my surley lht.coming from a rugby background i have a wide hip and i'm quite heavy around 100kg. any help would be great thks..........................
"its knowing where your going"

Re: brooks saddles
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »
I'm a fan of the B17, it's wider than the racier 'pro' Brooks saddles and great for long distance. Other advantage is it is cheaper than many Brooks models unless you go for the titanium rail version. They don't do a titanium rail B17 for women grrrrrr.

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »
B17.

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
B17  champion special.

brooks saddles
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:17:11 am »
Team pro !

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
Weight (or amount of padding on the hips) isnt the determining factor as to which Brooks will be the most comfortable.  It's more to do with the shape and width of your sit bones IMHO.  I'm a biggish bloke - not bad size for a prop forward (although I've not played for years), and yet find only the narrower models suit me.   Swift is near perfect, although second hand examples of the defunct "Competition" model are also pretty good.   Fortunately resale values are excellent if you buy one and find it doesnt suit you.

dobo

• northern monkey
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2012, 08:40:10 pm »
 just bought a b17 from a lbs. wish me luck, looking to break it in before my epic c2c in april .........
                                                            many thxs for replying
"its knowing where your going"

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »
Another bums thumbs up for the B17 here.

H

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2012, 08:48:00 pm »
looking to buy a brooks saddle for my surley lht.coming from a rugby background i have a wide hip and i'm quite heavy around 100kg. any help would be great thks..........................

B17 here too 95KG - 105KG depending on how often i sit on it.  :-[
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2012, 08:58:20 pm »
I've got a couple of B17s and a Swift. I prefer the B17 for longer runs but I don't think that I would consider anything other than a Brooks now; in fact just put a bid in for a B17N on Ebay.

« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:37:57 am »
My B17 Narrow is the most comfortable saddle I have ever owned.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
300km sportive ("motionslopp" in my native language) in June and this year I would like to see if I can complete it in under nine hours

Wow.  Id love to be able to do that in 9 hrs.

Well done. Whats your secret ?

I couldn´t quite reach the bottom of every stroke without rocking from side to side

Yep. Rocking from side to side is always a good indication your saddle is to high. Id fit your saddle correctly of what you have done by what looks like it from what I have read from above and keep the saddle / saddles. Won't the saddles just adjust to the re adjustment ?

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2012, 03:43:13 pm »
I found what I was looking for in other threads so deleted my first post.
Thanks Yahuda and Goldilocks, I´ll take that with me for motivation. (The fastest last did it in under seven hours.)

« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »
180 miles in 9 hours?! Blimey, our chaingangs never even averaged that!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »
Trying to work out what to do saddle-wise, so any advice welcome...

Have been trying a few saddles (excluding Brooks) and decided to start my Audaxes on a new Selle Turbo as I'd found my old (now very old) one very comfortable for up to 100 miles (my previous max).

On the 300 and 400 I've done in the past month, I've been a bit sore by the end, essentially just around the contact areas by my sit bones. It seems to get better in a few days, but I'm not sure if it is inevitable with longer-distance cycling, or due to a newish saddle, or the wrong saddle.

Is a Brooks likely to be better? If yes, is it too late to consider for my 600 in under 3 weeks (I'm guessing Yes)? And is there a way to work out whether to go standard or narrow, other than trying both?

Cheers

Reg
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies