Author Topic: Do you actually like Christmas food?  (Read 13914 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Do you actually like Christmas food?
« Reply #50 on: 14 December, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »
Mixing sweet and savoury does not appeal to all, but caramelised food is a Thing in several kinds of cuisine.

« Reply #51 on: 14 December, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
Mixing sweet and savoury does not appeal to all, but caramelised food is a Thing in several kinds of cuisine.

Mustard and sugar glazed grilled chops. Om nom nom...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #52 on: 14 December, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
It the pudding works, the spares will probably stay in the freezer for next year.

Do you need to freeze them? I just keep mine in the larder, and dose them occasionally with brandy. The one we had last Christmas was two years old and had matured beautifully!

We have had ones that Mrs Pcolbeck made that were a couple of years old. Just kept in a dark cupboard. They were fine didnt even feed them (well they had been well fed coming up to Christmas the year they were made).
My mother never froze hers and I've kept ones I've made for a year but MrsC freezes them. There are some things one doesn't argue with.
To be fair, it probably doesn't do them any harm, and they stay out of the way. There's not that much room in our kitchen.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #53 on: 14 December, 2017, 06:46:39 pm »
Mixing sweet and savoury does not appeal to all.
This would appear to be a fairly modern western thing. Most cultures are more enthusiastic about the sweet & savoury thing than we are.
(But see: pork and apple sauce, ham and pineapple, cheese and pineapple on sticks, redcurrant jelly/Cumberland sauce, chutney, tomato ketchup...)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 14 December, 2017, 06:49:34 pm »
This would appear to be a fairly modern western thing. Most cultures are more enthusiastic about the sweet & savoury thing than we are.
(But see: pork and apple sauce, ham and pineapple, cheese and pineapple on sticks, redcurrant jelly/Cumberland sauce, chutney, tomato ketchup...)

Indeed and the sugar content of many ketchups, condiments and most chutneys is very high.

« Reply #55 on: 14 December, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »
Yep.  :thumbsup:   well cooked turkey, sprouts, roasties, p-i-blkts, bread sauce, christmas pudd n custard, and turkey, leek & gammon pie on boxing day, and... subsequent cold meats with pickles...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #56 on: 14 December, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »
I'd prefer goose to turkey, but about half the weight comes out as fat when you roast a goose so it's expendsive per unit of cooked weight and its a struggle to get enough meat off for a big family gathering (especially our brood of gannets)
Turkey OTH, there's always plenty for seconds, a second meal of some description, soup etc.   But we do go to a very well established traditional butcher to get ours.
Love all the trimmings
Christmas pud - but only MrsS' secret recipe.  Keeps well although have had one go mouldy over a year, so now spares kept in freezer.
Mince pies - shop bought =    :sick:
Mince pies - Home made, wholemeal pastry, filling also home made = deep joy

« Reply #57 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:06:24 pm »
English Christmas food yes.
Polak Christmas food, not so much.

Turkey -I love it in any way shape or form and generally have some once every week or two (not roasted, as Ian has intimated, roasting is a bit of a faff best left to a.n.other).
Stuffing  - yes please.
Sprouts - yes please.
Roast veg - yum.
Christmas pud - no thanks, but I'm not big on pud generally.

The alternative is 12 meat-free courses - one for each of the apostles (don't ask me to list them  - the courses or the apostles)
But here's an incomplete  list of what I've been weaned on.
Oplatek - unleavend bread, or host  - if you participate in  Holy Communion you'll know what I mean - It's a ritual thing, where you exchange it with good wishes with your nearest and dearest (which is nice). I actually quite like the taste. I think it is no different (and might even be)  rice paper. So not the most nourishing of options.
Rollmops - Pickled herring - I can deal with these only if they are followed with a shot of decent vodka. Which has been kept on ice.
Carp - F*ck that. That's a bottom feeder and a beast which for years intimidated me when on the family xmas table. And it was full of fucking bones. Had Salmon not been invented?
Herring in tomato sauce.  - Err.... Didn't we have herring earlier?
Pierogi - Ravioli with cheese or mushroom filling. Covered in melted butter. My veins cannot handle this.
Cod fillets in breadcrumbs - there's a theme going here.
Mushrooms, fish, anything else in aspic. Aspic? Are you serious?
Aspic is the population paste of Satan.
Polak cakes - Now these can be seriously good. But the amount of effort which goes into making some of the outweighs the value of the end product.
I have 100% admiration for my gran who used to bake these.
I tried to do so once.
It resulted in a missed birthday party of a close friend because the fucking thing was still being proved / proved again / etc/ 12 hrs after I was due at the party.

Gimme an Angielski Xmas dinner any day of the week and I'll be happy.

ETA
Tradition has is that you don't start eating until the sprogs have spotted the first star in the sky on the night of the 24th.
I like that, but you'd be stuffed and hungry on a cloudy night.

« Reply #58 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
Rollmops - Pickled herring

When I was a kid, we used to have Rollmops every Saturday lunch time! I love them. I think I might have to go and buy some tomorrow, because it's been a while....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #59 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:15:40 pm »

Word. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #60 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:21:42 pm »

Word. ;D
:sick:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:22:48 pm »
Haven't decided what to have for Christmas dinner. Possibly just an oven-full of roast potatoes!

Prepares to go to EG's for xmas :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #62 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:05:34 pm »
English Christmas food yes.
Polak Christmas food, not so much.

Turkey -I love it in any way shape or form and generally have some once every week or two (not roasted, as Ian has intimated, roasting is a bit of a faff best left to a.n.other).
Stuffing  - yes please.
Sprouts - yes please.
Roast veg - yum.
Christmas pud - no thanks, but I'm not big on pud generally.

The alternative is 12 meat-free courses - one for each of the apostles (don't ask me to list them  - the courses or the apostles)
But here's an incomplete  list of what I've been weaned on.
Oplatek - unleavend bread, or host  - if you participate in  Holy Communion you'll know what I mean - It's a ritual thing, where you exchange it with good wishes with your nearest and dearest (which is nice). I actually quite like the taste. I think it is no different (and might even be)  rice paper. So not the most nourishing of options.
Rollmops - Pickled herring - I can deal with these only if they are followed with a shot of decent vodka. Which has been kept on ice.
Carp - F*ck that. That's a bottom feeder and a beast which for years intimidated me when on the family xmas table. And it was full of fucking bones. Had Salmon not been invented?
Herring in tomato sauce.  - Err.... Didn't we have herring earlier?
Pierogi - Ravioli with cheese or mushroom filling. Covered in melted butter. My veins cannot handle this.
Cod fillets in breadcrumbs - there's a theme going here.
Polak cakes - Now these can be seriously good. But the amount of effort which goes into making some of the outweighs the value of the end product.
I have 100% admiration for my gran who used to bake these.
I tried to do so once.
It resulted in a missed birthday party of a close friend because the fucking thing was still being proved / proved again / etc/ 12 hrs after I was due at the party.

Gimme an Angielski Xmas dinner any day of the week and I'll be happy.

ETA
Tradition has is that you don't start eating until the sprogs have spotted the first star in the sky on the night of the 24th.
I like that, but you'd be stuffed and hungry on a cloudy night.

It is a think about no meat on eve's but carp can be nice.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:01:08 am »

Indeed and the sugar content of many ketchups, condiments and most chutneys is very high.
That's Western chutney. In India it's a sort of coconut dip.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #64 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:13:52 am »
Carp does taste like river bottoms. Like any kind of bottom, that's not a good taste.

Anything in jelly or aspic is foulness. I have to surgically extract it from pork pies.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #65 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:50:38 am »
The thing about carp is you're supposed to buy it live, keep it in the bath all day (Christmas dinner is eaten on the evening of 24th, supposedly when the first star can be seen) and then chop off its head. This makes it fresh mud.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #66 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
I quite like carp, which my late grandmother used to cook.
I don't think my Mum likes it as she never serves it.

« Reply #67 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:34:39 pm »
I've enjoyed reading this thread but the tradition in our family is to eat out. We are not a big family so will meet up at a pub not too far away. This year we are having a four meat roast which could be good.

« Reply #68 on: 15 December, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
I like that approach.
Making it someone else's problem inevitably relieves the pressure from nearest and dearest.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:14:57 pm »
I don't like stress over Christmas food and think it very sad that people get so worked up about these things.

I suppose there's only the two of us and I like to KISS1.

But I managed unassisted to assemble 10 items for our dinner's main course last year and The Boss didn't moan.

It can't be that difficult. There's always a huge choice of things and sufficient Other Stuffs so you won't starve if you skip whatever you dislike.

1) KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #70 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:55:55 pm »
Carp does taste like river bottoms. Like any kind of bottom, that's not a good taste.

Anything in jelly or aspic is foulness. I have to surgically extract it from pork pies.

That, m'lud, is a large, scarcely-inhabited island to the east of Sarfend-on-Mudd.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #71 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:57:53 pm »
Weren't there plans for an airport there, once upon a time?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 16 December, 2017, 12:13:40 am »

"London Foulness" doesn't quite have the right ring to it, thobut.

« Reply #73 on: 16 December, 2017, 12:39:00 am »

Wasn't that what Joseph Bazalgette was brought in to deal with?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »

I'm sure it would have been badged as 'Maplin',  'Maplin Sands' or similar.