Author Topic: Phil's chorizo  (Read 1041 times)

Phil's chorizo
« on: 14 September, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
At Phil's amazing bbq, he served some chorizo cooked in red wine. I'm not a huge fan of chorizo, but this was amazing.

Phil, could you share your secret?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Phil's chorizo
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
Gladly, as it's simplicity itself to make, and always goes down a storm.

Obviously it's not for vegemetarians.

You need:

2 packs of cooking chorizo (not the sliced, air dried stuff, but the ones that look just like normal sossiges), about a 700G (1 1/2 lbs, roughly), in the UK the ones you can get from Costco are rather good (Gothika) as are the ones from Ollies.  The Ollies ones are a bit more coarse texture though.
1 bottle of good red wine (Spanish or more precisely Catalan, for preference)
2 cloves of garlic.

Cut chorizo into 3 pieces (about an inch long or so)
place in pan with finely chopped garlic and bottle of wine.
bring to boil, then turn down to a simmer
cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
leave over night
next day bring back to a simmer, adding a little more water if needed, until warmed through
serve, ideally with nice crusty bread.

Another slight variation, that one of our friends came up with is to take them out of the pan, once cooled, slice them into 10mm thick pieces then fry them in a bit of olive oil then serve.

I am feeling rather hungry now :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »
I think that's going on tomorrow night's menu then. Will start them tonight.  Tah
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »
Winning variation:

Boil 50g ish of puy lentils per person for 10 minutes, drain and then add to the chorizo as you reduce it to a simmer.

Takes some rather fabby tapas and turns it into a rather good (and not too unhealthy) winter stew.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance